Do you eat when hungry if out of calories?

Options
13»

Replies

• USAMcK
    USAMcK Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I drink two cups of hot tea and a tall glass of water.

After that, I go for high-volume, low-cal, like buffalo cauliflower or a brothy soup with shirataki noodles.

Last night, I borrowed from the last few days because I was under my calorie goal. I was still in a deficit and my daily average came out to 1195 (my goal is 1200).

If I go over, I just try to keep it under maintenance so I may not lose for that day but definitely won't gain. :)
  • siraphine
    siraphine Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    No. Never. I plan my meal times accordingly and practice intermittent fasting. I fast for shorter periods than most do.

My eating hours are: 9am-7pm

Any time outside that area, I am not going to eat regardless how hungry I am.

Accidents happen, but you are acknowledging a potential accident before it happens. You can prevent it.
    Eat your dinner later than normal, or go to sleep earlier. Drink water before eating, and make the most of those calories that you do have.

There are plenty of days where I am down to 400 or lower by 1pm. And you know what? It's okay to feel a little hungry. If you go to sleep a little bit hungry, you will wake up tomorrow just as alive and well as normal. Plus you get to congratulate yourself on having self control.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I have a low goal I try to stick to, but if I feel hungry I eat. As long as I stay under my TDEE estimate I'm happy. I have a lot of weight to lose and a steep deficit, so I know I have more flexibility than someone closer to their goal.
  • _piaffe
    _piaffe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    If I do, it's protein - like a protein bar.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    siraphine wrote: »
    No. Never. I plan my meal times accordingly and practice intermittent fasting. I fast for shorter periods than most do.

My eating hours are: 9am-7pm

Any time outside that area, I am not going to eat regardless how hungry I am.

Accidents happen, but you are acknowledging a potential accident before it happens. You can prevent it.
    Eat your dinner later than normal, or go to sleep earlier. Drink water before eating, and make the most of those calories that you do have.

There are plenty of days where I am down to 400 or lower by 1pm. And you know what? It's okay to feel a little hungry. If you go to sleep a little bit hungry, you will wake up tomorrow just as alive and well as normal. Plus you get to congratulate yourself on having self control.

Just wondering, how long have you been maintaining?
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    vanmep wrote: »
    If I am actually feeling true hunger, I always eat. I am trying to build healthy thinking patterns in my brain regarding food and I feel that it is very important to listen to my body's messages about what I need - whether it is about not eating when I am not hungry or saying yes to eating when I am hungry. That being said, it rarely happens that I am truly hungry. Most of my "hunger" is boredom or just because it is there.

Exactly this. Most of the time I am just "wanting to eat", not actual hunger. Probably 90% of the time I just want to eat more because I love food, lol. It is rare that I am truly extra hungry, but it does happen. I always eat if I am feeling true stomach growling, cramping, hunger. After years of maintenance, I've learned to listen to my bodily signals and really be in tune with my body, and they haven't been wrong yet.
  • TommyW45
    TommyW45 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Lots of times just because it's in front of me !!!