Fellow Athletes

Options
2»

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Everything for tennis is about footwork and agility, so constant, constant, CONSTANT ladder drills, shuttle runs, and such. It's not that I hate it, per se. It is that I hate having to do so much of it! But even on court we do minute HIT type drills like this:

• Timshel_
    Options
    One more here. This is an up-and-babck drill for moving from the baseline to short balls to the put away.

Thing is, these one-minute drills are done AFTER already hitting and working out for an hour or more. Again...lots of constant footwork and keeping the HR towards anaerobic.
  • Timshel_
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Well, one more. I lied. lol.

This is a one-minute backstep drill.

Really I just keep pushing to get through it all. Of the above three different drills I usually do a couple sets of each. Then it is 15 minutes of cool-down footwork.

I have had a few times I basically collapse on the court.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    These days I'm much more of a recreational athlete...I like participating in cycling races and various other events, but I do it primarily for the fun of it...I'm not looking to podium or anything.

Mostly I hate hills and climbing...I don't mind a little climb here and there, but when It's an hour plus climb I'm pretty miserable. Honestly, the only time I do it is when my trainer/coach/friend gets me out there with a group...otherwise, I just like to ride.

I did some time trial racing this past summer...training for that wasn't particularly pleasant, but the races were fun. I'll probably do it again next year.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    These days I'm much more of a recreational athlete...I like participating in cycling races and various other events, but I do it primarily for the fun of it...I'm not looking to podium or anything.

Mostly I hate hills and climbing...I don't mind a little climb here and there, but when It's an hour plus climb I'm pretty miserable. Honestly, the only time I do it is when my trainer/coach/friend gets me out there with a group...otherwise, I just like to ride.

I did some time trial racing this past summer...training for that wasn't particularly pleasant, but the races were fun. I'll probably do it again next year.

You are the only one that has begun to answer the question.

You essentially said, peer pressure.

That's how you are able to get in your dreaded exercise.

I want people to dig a little deeper and realize there ARE strategies they utilize, even though their concious brain only registers, I just do it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

I want people to dig a little deeper and realize there ARE strategies they utilize, even though their concious brain only registers, I just do it.

It's definitely peer pressure...my trainer and his wife are more than just my wife and I's trainers...they are really close friends of ours and our families hang out all of the time socially...I think "friend" peer pressure is stronger than when they were just trainers and we'd be like, "we're paying you and ultimately will do what we want."...Now we're tight and there's a lot more pressure...albeit, friendly pressure.

I'd never climb Tramway Blvd here in town or the backside of the Sandia Mountains if they weren't turning on the pressure...on my own I'd much rather do a long endurance ride or a tempo ride than climb...
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

I just don't think about it that much.. The overall GOAL is the driving force. If its a race, I know my training plan and follow that. And really there is not much extra effort that has to be done. Perhaps its weather that's a problem,, perhaps I am having an off day.. But the job does just get done.

If its lifting, again I follow the program there as well.

After seeing more on this I am simply not an athlete or athlete material at all. Oh well.. I learned something about myself from this if anything..
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

I just don't think about it that much.. The overall GOAL is the driving force. If its a race, I know my training plan and follow that. And really there is not much extra effort that has to be done. Perhaps its weather that's a problem,, perhaps I am having an off day.. But the job does just get done.

After seeing more on this I am simply not an athlete or athlete material at all. Oh well.. I learned something about myself from this if anything..

I don't know why you wouldn't consider yourself an athlete. Running 10 miles in the rain and cold sounds like the movie Rocky.

My guess is that you've been doing it so long you have forgotten the strategies you utilized in the first place to establish your habits and now it seems to do itself, i.e., just do it.

• Timshel_
    Options

Seriously, it isn't that complex for me. I have a very deep, innate need to compete so I drive myself to put in the hard yards. At almost 50 I don't have delusions I am going on the pro tour, but I compete well in National competitions and have a goal to compete in international competitions within the next few years. I still play in the 18 and over bracket, so beating the young punks also adds a little fuel to the fire. lol.

• thisonetimeatthegym
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »

Seriously, it isn't that complex for me. I have a very deep, innate need to compete so I drive myself to put in the hard yards. At almost 50 I don't have delusions I am going on the pro tour, but I compete well in National competitions and have a goal to compete in international competitions within the next few years. I still play in the 18 and over bracket, so beating the young punks also adds a little fuel to the fire. lol.

Your strategy is competition as fuel.
  • Grey_1
    Grey_1 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options

I love it.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

I don't know why you wouldn't consider yourself an athlete. Running 10 miles in the rain and cold sounds like the movie Rocky.

My guess is that you've been doing it so long you have forgotten the strategies you utilized in the first place to establish your habits and now it seems to do itself, i.e., just do it.

I am training for my second half marathon right now and well as bulking! So these two together are firsts.

Perhaps training singly for both at one point got me athletically to where I can do both today.. Lets just say I will be 50 soon, and my drive is through competition with my self and I do get there listening to great music..this might be a strategy that can direct me from being tired, getting over how bad weather is and put me in the "work out" zone.

ps I did not mean to purposely adopt Nike slogan.. it just came out like that...LOL
  • PowerMan40
    PowerMan40 Posts: 766 Member
    Options

This, Im 42, look grey and old, and being able to out lift 95% of the guys in my gym, is a huge drive for me.
    I am naturally competitive, have a high prey drive, half the time feel like I was born in the wrong century. Its really not complicated for me, either.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    Options
    jtegirl1 wrote: »
    As for how I get through the dreaded cardio? Either by watching something funny and entertaining or cranking the rock music up.

I also have a competitive personality and I'm stubborn, so I push myself pretty hard. One time the head trainer at the gym put me through a leg workout that I thought I was going to die during. I didn't quit or give up, I did everything he told me to do. Because I didn't want to look like a wimp. lol Afterwards I said "not bad for 46, huh?" He said "Not bad for 26!!!!!" That was a pretty great compliment.

Your strategy is distraction and showing off.
  • Grey_1
    Grey_1 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    As for how I get through the dreaded cardio? Either by watching something funny and entertaining or cranking the rock music up.

I also have a competitive personality and I'm stubborn, so I push myself pretty hard. One time the head trainer at the gym put me through a leg workout that I thought I was going to die during. I didn't quit or give up, I did everything he told me to do. Because I didn't want to look like a wimp. lol Afterwards I said "not bad for 46, huh?" He said "Not bad for 26!!!!!" That was a pretty great compliment.
    That's an awesome compliment. Something about getting an acknowledgement like that can motivate me more than the actual gains themselves. It kind of lets me know that if others are seeing it, then it isn't just me fooling myself. Sweet! :)
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    For some crazy reason I had this thread on my mind this morning.. How was I going to get the run in today?

Scenario: Weather is bad, its raining and a bit windy (its wonderful because we are putting a dent in our massive drought), goal maintain running miles..I am not very good friends with the treadmill.

Strategy I put my headphones on (good motivator), however the only thing I could do was run faster to finish faster, i did break a treadmill PR.. I am glad its done, my enjoyment factor is nil.

Conclusion: there are just gonna be times when the exercise is not going to be pleasant, in my mind though the next outdoor run is only a day or two away which is something to look forward to.

OP this thread did make me think a little bit .. thought provoking is always a good thing.
  • TreasureDiver1
    TreasureDiver1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I was a MMA fighter and trainer for the last 20 years, Truely there is no better work out. Now that I'm older, it takes longer to heal........such a bummer! Hey Roxie - we have the same plan, though I'm heading to the Virgin Islands
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    I was a MMA fighter and trainer for the last 20 years, Truely there is no better work out. Now that I'm older, it takes longer to heal........such a bummer! Hey Roxie - we have the same plan, though I'm heading to the Virgin Islands

Virgin Islands... that's sweet! :)
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    Options

Your strategy is distraction and showing off.

I don't consider not being a quitter or not wanting to look like a wimp showing off. I'll definitely cop to the distraction strategy though. :)

High five!