Looking for EBF mamas!

Options
Hey mamas!
I've been really successful with working out after this second baby; she's 7.5m old. I do 30mins a day M-F and I lift weights/do HIIT for cardio. I'm definitely getting stronger! I actually went across the monkey bars the other day!

Has anyone else struggled to lose weight (inches, I could care less what I actually weigh) while breastfeeding?? I mean, I am experiencing success but it's S L O W ... The common belief that "breastfeeding helps you lose weight" hasn't magically worked for me after either pregnancy. Didn't workout or eat right the first time but I am this time. I think it has something to do with my hormones? I'm looking for support! I can't be the only one!

Anyway, I find that I tend to get too busy with the kids and I forget to eat. I end up eating too few calories and that's why I've joined this community. I'm hoping it can help me figure out what my calorie allotment looks like in a day. Maybe I can experience more success because I'd like to have more kids and it would be nice to make up some ground before we decide to get pregnant again (basically right after I wean this baby)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or encouragement!

Replies

• jai1217
    jai1217 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi! I gained weight while nursing my first baby. I wasn't trying to lose though, but you're definitely not alone. I think its about 20% of women that don't easily lose weight while breastfeeding. I'm currently breastfeeding my second who is 2 months this week. My goals are to lose in my stomach so I'm more comfortable in my clothes and eventually to get back to my pre first baby weight.

Make sure you add in 500 extra calories than what the app says you need. Since you say you tend to eat too little, I wonder if you're not getting enough protein? I bet if you eat more, you'll start to build more muscle with all the working out you're doing. That's just my prediction, I'm curious to see what tracking with the app shows you.

Good luck! I'm glad I've found a few other breastfeeding moms on here starting this too!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I am a nursing mama to an almost 10 month old. He is on some solids so I am not EBF. For many women breastfeeding isn't the magic bullet to weight loss as everyone thinks. It can be especially hard because appetite goes up, plus the lack of sleep, poor food choices, grazing all day, hormones, water retention...you get the picture.
    It took me about 8 months to lose my pregnancy weight (which after baby and delivery water weight ended up being about 20 lbs or so), mind you because I didn't have a lot to lose and I did not want to mess with my milk supply I took it really really slow.

So patience, logging your food, getting some activity in (even just a walk or small workout when baby naps).. also you say you forget to eat, you can keep little snacks accessible to grab when you are busy and on the go - cut up fruit, veggies, hard boiled eggs, pre-portioned nuts, crackers, cheese etc.. I found that helped!
  • fadiyah1
    fadiyah1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm an EBF mom. My baby is 5w3d old. She's my 5th baby.
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm an EBF mom too. My baby turns 2 months on Sunday. I haven't actively started trying to lose weight yet. Waiting on baby to turn 2 months, so just a few days to go. Wanted to make sure my milk supply was well established.

I don't know yet about the not losing weight part. I guess I'll know as of next week when I try to get all of this fat off. Add me as a friend and we can motivate and encourage each other. Oh, and you MUST eat. I have this problem too, but since I started logging I've been doing much better.
  • agborensztein
    agborensztein Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm EBF as well, my son turns 2 months December 4th, so we're pretty close! I've started counting calories, La Lwche League recommends 1500-1800, so I'm following that rule. Happy to help keep each other going!
  • debbs3678
    debbs3678 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi -
    I'm EBF a 12 week old. How do I log calories burned for breastfeeding? Also, how many calories do I burn per 20 min feeding?
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    @debbs3678 Just log it as cardiovascular exercise. I read that breastfeeding burns roughly 300-500 calories daily so I log mine as 500. So far this seems to be pretty accurate since I've been pretty much maintaining my weight. Of course when he starts eating less I will adjust accordingly.
  • debbs3678
    debbs3678 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much!
  • jai1217
    jai1217 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oh! If anyone wants to add me, I'd love to have some breastfeeding mom friends to motivate each other. :smile:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    EBF at 7.5 months?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    The weird thing is "weight falling off with BF" does not seem to be person specific but baby specific IME

E.g. With son I lost 1lb a week doing nothing extra
    With daughter I lost nothing until I stopped BF around 13 months

I put it down to hormones still racing round body

I wouldn't listen to me though, I didn't truly lose my post pregnancy weight until youngest was 10 :)
  • jaroby
    jaroby Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    EBF at 7.5 months?

Surprisingly...yes! Despite my best efforts! Ha! She had been eating some solids and then for reasons still unknown she couldn't hold them down. It was only 3x...once on a Sunday night. Then again on a Tuesday afternoon. Then we waited a week and tried again. She still threw them up. Not violent, nothing to be concerned about. We just ended up taking a break from solids for another week or so. Then when we started introducing them again we went e x t r a slow to make sure we weren't dealing with a food sensitivity. All has been well so far!

She's also....determined. Since birth this lady baby has been VERY determined to eat on her decision. She has to be RAVENOUS. She will come to me and try rooting and when I take her to a place with no distractions she will sometimes refuse! I assume she thinks there's better things to do...?
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I lost 90 lbs while breastfeeding my almost 2 year old. He's still nursing once a day in the mornings, though I think I'd be happy to be done. He's my 4th breastfed baby and I totally thought I was one of those women who couldn't lose weight while breastfeeding with past babies. Turns out I just wasn't doing it right! It's important to be super accurate, weighing your food and logging everything. Eat back some of your exercise calories but not all. Lose weight at a reasonable rate (don't aim for 2 lbs a week unless you're quite obese or you'll end up hungry with decreased supply). Increase your protein.

I'm at the lowest weight I've ever been in my adult life! It took a lot of hard work and dedication but it can be done.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    Currently EBFing a 1-month-old. Not trying to lose any weight, just worried about keeping my supply up. The weight will come later. I lost a bunch from the birth anyway.