Losing weight with thyroid problems

Options
I had a total thyroid removal just over 12 months ago. Since then my health hasn't been that great and I am struggling to get my meds balanced out. There are many symptoms but the one I struggle with the most is my weight gain. I reached my heaviest point in September and since then have struggled to lose 12lbs. I am determined not to give up. I will lose the next 3 stone even if it takes me 3 years. I wondered if there was anyone else out there that is struggling with this issue too? Does anyone want motivation and a kick up the backside when needed? I know I do? Add me if you want.

Replies

• CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    So are you saying that your thyroid hormone levels still have not returned to normal? I had my thyroid removed about 20 something years ago. At that time, I had to also undergo some testing where my TSH was forced up to 145 (yes, 145!!!). I gained about 10 lbs, but as soon as I got back on my meds, the weight fell off. You have to be very careful not to put it on the thyroid gland, especially if you are treated with appropriate replacement meds. If you are not being given enough medication, then yes, you will struggle with weight gain. My previous endocrinologist, who also had his thyroid gland removed, said a lot of people over estimate the thyroid's role in weight gain and other factors are at work. He said, at most, an improperly treated thyroid gland (let's say someone has a TSH of 5-10) probably only accounts for about 5 lbs of weight gain.

What have you been doing to lose weight?
  • BuddhaB0y
    BuddhaB0y Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I lost 162lbs during the first 6 months of this year and I had a total thyroidectomy a few years ago. I'm currently just maintaining but about to get back to losing.

Biggest key to my loss was taking ownership of my own overeating. I was putting way too many calories into my body and that's why I was gaining weight.

MFP helped me realize how much I was eating and how to make better choices on what to eat to fill you up while not loading you up with calories.

Until I stopped making excuses for myself, I was unable to lose. Good luck on your own journey.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. Total thyroidectomy in 2000 and put on ~70 lbs over 14 years. Once I found MFP and started tracking my intake and output I lost 60 lbs. in a year. As others have stated do not let this become an excuse because it doesn't have to be.

Know your full thyroid panel - TSH, fT3, fT4, rT3. If your TSH is not between 0.2-2.0 and you are not feeling well then you need to push your endocrinologist for a higher dose of levothyroxine.

Also critical is that simply being overweight will make it impossible to maintain any sort of hormonal balance. Hormones are free cycling and are essentially being diluted. The best course of action is to follow the MFP guidelines and lose this excess weight in a safe manner.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    if its only been a year, your meds might still not be optimal (3 years later and my docs are still tweaking mine)