Not getting weighed

Options
I have decided not to get weighed whilst I'm trying to lose weight. I get very disheartened if I don't get success on the scales even if my clothes start to feel comfier. What do people think? Thank you. Caroline

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    The number on the scale varies from day to day, and it doesn't define you. The scales just measures and displays your total body mass at that exact moment. Your weight loss success lies not in the number on the scale, but in getting control over your eating habits. You control your weight by controlling your eating. You control your eating by controlling your mind. Thinking that you are "trying to lose weight" is not helping you. Instead, reframe your thoughs into ideas like "I have planned meals I want to eat, and today I will follow my meal plan", "It's up to me what I eat and not eat", "This is enough and I feel satisfied". It's crucial that you do indeed eat enough and food you like and are satisfied, though.
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Finding something to focus on besides a number on a scale is great. If it were me, I'd still find some way to measure "improvements." Can I climb more stairs, how many days in a row do I get enough protein, enough fiber, drink enough water, can I fit into a smaller size, have I lost any inches, whatever works for you. I am perfectly gleeful when I can put a shiny star on my calendar to note that I stuck to my calorie limits for the day. Looking at that string of stars reminds me how much I've done even if it feels like I'm not progressing fast enough.

Controlling your calorie intake and measuring/logging accurately is key though (food scales really are amazingly helpful). Without an occasional scale check it is very easy to increase weight without realizing it. That's what started me here - I still fit in my jeans, I thought my weight was fine, and then I stepped on a scale and realized I'd put on yet another 15 pounds without realizing it. For me, a scale keeps me accountable to myself. If that doesn't work for you, find another reliable method to keep yourself on track.

Also don't think of it as "trying to lose weight." Think of it as learning new skills for a lifetime. Learn calorie counting. Learn portion control. Learn what keeps you healthy and happy. Learn discipline. Learn how to exercise, even if it's just a walk around the neighborhood. Learn how to listen to what your body is telling you.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    While success isn't necessarily measured by the scales alone its still not a bad idea to even have a monthly weigh in at the very least?

But if you find your clothes are getting looser then obviously you know you are doing something right.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I did not weigh myself until February 2016 and that was ONLY to prove to my mum that I was not as skinny as she tried to make me believe (in fact my BMI was still 26.5 at that stage). Up to that point I went just by clothes sizes and how I looked and felt.

These days I weigh myself once a month. I am still loosing and still not at (3rd adjusted) goal. It is just not that important to me, but at the same time I do not want to go in reverse so I monitor now at a low intensity to avoid getting myself in a negative thought pattern.

Do what is right for you. If the scales are demotivating (they were for me for a long long time) then by all means go by clothes sizes.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    It doesn't work for me, but more power to you if it works for you. :)

Personally, the scale holds me accountable. I found when I weighed less than once a week I would get sloppy and my weight loss would stall or I would even gain weight.