1600 calorie daily

Options
I just started MFP about a week ago, and I like the ease of use! Ive never dieted before now (which is how got into my current condition). I tried keeping a paper journal first.. no good. to easy to cheat if i don't have a way to share. My question is: Is a 1600 calorie diet way too much to start with? my journal is open if you want to review what i have been eating...

Replies

• fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    DEFINITELY not too much, I think it's spot on but a lot of people will tell you to eat more. Good luck :smile:
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    For a guy, 1600 is definitely not too much. If MFP is set to Sedentary and you're logging your exercise, please remember to eat those back so you continue to net 1600.

Could you please post your current height, weight and age? That way we can just do some double check calculations for you. =)
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I eat at least 1,600 calories a day, so it is definitely not too much for you. If anything, I feel it may be too little. Here is a calculator that helps determine your TDEE - or how many calories you would need to eat in a day to maintain your current weight, http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
    If you subtract 15%-20% from that you find how much you should be eating each day for safe and healthy weight loss.
    The number will probably be higher than you were expecting, and yes you can eat that much and still lose. Win!
  • AAX2
    AAX2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    1600 is extremely low. As others have said, unless you are not exercising that is defiitely not too much. I have 1325 limit, but I am not counting my exerrcise & I am a female at 5'2".
  • mcphersonian
    mcphersonian Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    i am 6'0 and at 328 lbs. i did start walking yesterday... but i work in a cubicle... so very sedentary ..
  • xjoseyx
    xjoseyx Posts: 74
    Options
    Im a female, 5ft 9 and Im eating 1830 a day. Its enough for me. Im losing well and exercising.
  • ladynocturne
    Options
    i am 6'0 and at 328 lbs. i did start walking yesterday... but i work in a cubicle... so very sedentary ..

Okay.

Your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) set to Sedentary is 3366 calories per day to maintain your current weight with zero exercise.

Your estimated BMR is: 2,476 calories/day this is how many calories your body would need to run if you were in a coma.

It is not recommend to net below ones BMR, this is because the lower we eat under our BMR the higher the lean muscle mass to fat ratio increases, thus eventually lowering your metabolism.

If you choose to net at least your BMR your deficit would be: 3366-2476= 890 calories a day or 1lb lost every 4 days. Or 1.8lbs a week.

I think maybe 1600 is too low for you, but it's your choice =)

Whatever you decide, make sure you eat your exercise calories back.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options

1600 is not too high. The main concern is that it's so low you won't be able to comfortably sustain it as a lifestyle. Keep in mind you'll easily lose at 2000 (or higher) if 1600 gets you down. Don't just give up. Good luck.
  • KatLifter
    Options

Okay.

Your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) set to Sedentary is 3366 calories per day to maintain your current weight with zero exercise.

Your estimated BMR is: 2,476 calories/day this is how many calories your body would need to run if you were in a coma.

It is not recommend to net below ones BMR, this is because the lower we eat under our BMR the higher the lean muscle mass to fat ratio increases, thus eventually lowering your metabolism.

If you choose to net at least your BMR your deficit would be: 3366-2476= 890 calories a day or 1lb lost every 4 days. Or 1.8lbs a week.

I agree with most of this, but using the TDEE formula, you account for activity level, so you do NOT eat back exercise calories.
    You can easily eat 2,500 calories a day and still lose almost 2 pounds/week. If you are just starting, it is likely to come off even more quickly.
  • ladynocturne
    Options

Okay.

I agree with most of this, but using the TDEE formula, you account for activity level, so you do NOT eat back exercise calories.
    You can easily eat 2,500 calories a day and still lose almost 2 pounds/week. If you are just starting, it is likely to come off even more quickly.

There is no TDEE formula here, I used to it find his maintenance calories on Sedentary.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

Okay.

This. I am a 5'2, 150 pound female and eat between1600-1900 calories. I think 1600 is too low for you, but that's just my opinion.
  • KatLifter
    Options

Okay.

There is no TDEE formula here, I used to it find his maintenance calories on Sedentary.
    MFP uses NEAT calculations, for those you eat back exercise calories. When you calculate a TDEE activity is taken into account.. You posted TDEE numbers, so I'm not sure what you mean that you aren't using TDEE. Oh well, don't want to hijack this thread.

OP: Here is a calculator where you can calculate your TDEE and daily calories, http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/. This will walk you through with your activity level. With this, you don't eat back exercise calories. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options

The weight should come FALLING OFF you at that rate. Its easier in the beginning too because it takes more cals to run a heavier body. I see people eating a lot more than that to lose, but they are heavy lifting etc. I have followed what MFP suggested with great results. Good luck and I'd love to follow your journey!
  • ladynocturne
    Options
    MFP uses NEAT calculations, for those you eat back exercise calories. When you calculate a TDEE activity is taken into account. You posted TDEE numbers, so I'm not sure what you mean that you aren't using TDEE. Oh well, don't want to hijack this thread.

Yes, I know. http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

I set his stats to Sedentary, which is zero activity level. I didn't subtract 20% from it or do any other calculations besides just finding what he maintains his weight on, similar to if you set MFP to lose 0lbs a week to see what you maintain your weight on. Sometimes it really helps people to know what they would have to eat over to gain weight, instead of just a number to lose weight.

I advised him to eat at his BMR, which has nothing to do with a TDEE -20% calculation set to any type of activity level.
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options

Okay.

I almost agree with this considering how tall you are and your current weight.
  • MustangUSN
    MustangUSN Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I developed a thyroid condition that went undiagnosed for some time...until I complained of joint symptoms I was being told my weight gain was due to menopause. Wrong answer for someone who was career military and never had a weight issue. At any rate, I worked with a nutritionist who turned me on to MFP. She has me on 1520 calories per day and adjusted my carbs/etc. I only weigh myself every few weeks and my last weigh in after 4 months was just under a 25 lb weight loss...and that is only with daily walking...same as I did before. Now, that said, those are my calories adjusted specifically for me...your intake depends on the factors affecting you, medical, physical, etc. I am glad I asked for the referral to the nutritionist...it was very helpful. I am well educated and work in the medical field so it was a bit strange at first...but then, I figured, if I wanted results tailored to my needs, the best result comes from seeking professionals! :smile:
  • mcphersonian
    mcphersonian Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many responses.... so my original question of 1600 being to much may be true...(to much of a deficit).
    I wanted to avoid crash diets (500-1000). if i can find an affordable nutritionist i will talk to them, but in the meanwhile I am kind of stabbing at the dark. I have not had too much trouble staying at 1600... if i follow the suggested calories (after workout) i would need to eat 1200 for dinner. for home cooked food.. that's a lot.
  • bevy_f4
    Options
    I read everything there is to figuring out how many calories I should be eating.. I am not so sure that the calories that MFP tells me is right. I asked a male friend of mine who's ripped. I told him my numbers: 5'6, female, 148 lbs, and 19 years old. He said that because I want to be a little more toned but maintain my weight, I should be eating:
    Calories: 1500-1600
    Fat: 50-60g
    Carbs: 190g
    Protein: 75-85g

Is this correct? I am hearing so many things that I don't know who to follow. I exercise 4-5 days a week, 2-3 days being cardio and 2 being weightlifting, all 45 minutes each workout.:huh:
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I started at 1200 but I do 1500 now. It depends on your weight and activity level. Feel free to add me if you want friends in the 1500-2000 range!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    When I started here the program set me at 1610. That's how I lost nearly all my weight. So..sure. 1600 can work just fine...and is much easier to live with than a measly 1200.