New to dieting and exercise

navstar
navstar Posts: 113 Member
edited September 21 in Introduce Yourself
Hi all,

I've been using the IPhone app for about a month now, but rarely log on to this site, I've never tried to loose weight before and am feeling a bit lost when it comes to exercise, I am active ( I am a full time carer for my disabled mother in law and have a very active 3 year old plus i do all the housework/cooking in a house of 8!) but I have no idea where to start, I def cant go to a gym (mother in law needs almost constant attention) and am hoping someone can recommend a few exercises I can do at home in the morning/late at night (before they wake up and after they go to bed) also money is tight so can't afford to splash out on any expensive equipment.

Thanks in advance for your help.

(forgot to say I am looking to lose about 24kg/about 52lbs) (have lost 13lbs/6kg so far)

Replies

• jlallen
    jlallen Posts: 42 Member
    *bump*
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Great job on losing - especially with that active, hectic lifestyle! Tammilee Webb is an awesome instructor who has a couple of videos called "Tight on Time". They have 10 min segments for parts of your body that WORK!!! I started doing her 1 video (arms, abs & total body) in December last year & noticed a difference in 1 month. You can do all the exercises at once or break them up through the day/week. The one I have also has a bonus 10 min rubber band workout, which really tones thighs & hips (all I can say is "OUCH" when I'm done). You can order on line at her web site (or Amazon is cheaper) but she is really down to earth.
    You can also try some Tai Chi, Scott Cole is my favorite instructor: I have "Discover Tai Chi for Weight Loss". Great Vids :happy:
    I wish you best of luck & remember supports is always here :flowerforyou:
  • bigredfit
    bigredfit Posts: 1
    If you have the Nintendo Wii ,invest in EA Active. You can do it anytime of the day-most workouts are between 15 to 25 minutes long. I been doing it for a couple of months now and I really see results! Best thing is you can do it anytime. I have a 1 and 3 year old so I can't always go running and I can't get to the gym. You can change the intensity as you go so anyone can do it.
  • navstar
    Thank you again for your help, I had never even thought about using workout dvds but I just might give them a go, I like the sound of the Tai Chi one as I've always wanted to try that!!! Will also learn how to use the wii and try that too.
  • Well, welcome to MFP sunshine!!!

There are a lot of DVDs you can do at home. I care for my grandma who needs a lot of attention to, so I get up early in the morning or while she's eating breakfast or something & put a DVD in my laptop and workout in my bedroom. She's right next door to me, so I can hear her if she needs me & I can still work out. It's win win.

I hope you stick it out with us, I'm certain you can lose that 52 pounds. Good luck.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    The walk away the pounds DVD's are great also by Leslie Sansone. They can be done one mile at a time. Welcome .
  • navstar
    i'm so excited, my husband went car booting yesterday and bought me a lateral thigh trainer for £2!!!! it was on tv for £89.99 plus postage!!!! and he got me loads of fresh fruit and veg from his farmer friend that he went with!!! can't wait to use the lateral thigh trainer its in the garage waiting to be de-spidered (its very dusty and covered in spider webs and is NOT coming in the house like that!!! hmm but i would run like mad away from the spiders nope not gonna do that! lol).
This discussion has been closed.