Best low impact exercise

Options
I've been running on my treadmill and really enjoying it but have developed a little tendonitis in one foot. I'd like to rest it a little but need something to replace the cardio and calorie burn that's more low impact. What do you guys like to do in that vein?

Replies

• mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I got on You Tube and watched a lot of videos until I found some I could safely do with my mobility issues.
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Swim.
  • NJCJF
    NJCJF Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    biking, yoga
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    biking is not low impact
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Shadow boxing, hitting the heavy bag. It might not be low impact but it might not bother your foot.
  • mgalovic01
    Options
    lodro wrote: »
    biking is not low impact

How so?
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I don't have a bike (and that probably wouldn't help rest foot tendons anyway right?) and there are no public pools near me although swimming would be ideal. This isn't one of those threads where I have an unsolvable problem and am looking for the ok to slack off, I don't want it to sound like that. I ran a 5k on my sore foot but I'm trying to be smart. I really don't have time in the week to travel to work out so I am for sure looking for something to do at home, maybe some aerobics routines you like, I don't know, something I didn't think of. I'll consider a trip to swim but it can't be my every day.
  • mgalovic01
    Options
    Calisthenic circuits like push ups, squats, lunges, crunches, pull ups, etc.
  • indivisible0518
    indivisible0518 Posts: 19 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    You can YouTube Pilates and that is definitely low impact but a great workout that can easily be done at home
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    biking is not low impact

Cycling is low impact, although it can be high intensity.

For the originator, I would agree the suggestions for cycling or swimming, also rowing.
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    biking is not low impact
    Que??

• DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Rowing machine...
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Squat, deadlift, bench, overhead press, barbell row
  • superstargalaxy
    superstargalaxy Posts: 21 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Are you able to walk? Do some incline walking on the treadmill. Aim for 6 - 10 calores / minute for 30minutes and don't hold onto the treadmill.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    biking or eliptical, or stairmaster. anything with your foot on a pedal is generally low impact
  • PeakLiving
    PeakLiving Posts: 9 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I second Yoga. I use to look down on it as a reputable aspect of fitness. How times have changed. These days it's the foundation of how I move - both in and out of the gymnasium. I recommend "Flow with Adee" on YouTube. She knows here stuff.

And of course walking.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Just keep in mind tendonitis doesn't go away if the tendon is being agrivated still. Low impact doesn't guarantee to alleviate the problem.

I've had many years of tendonitis problem do to autoimmune disease. The best way to allow it possibly heal is to rest it completely from exercise as much as possible. Also stretching after using heat to warm the tendon. KT tape is a amazing product to use that will give you temporary relief from tendonitis. Worth it'd weight in gold.
  • NJCJF
    NJCJF Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    mgalovic01 wrote: »
    Shadow boxing, hitting the heavy bag. It might not be low impact but it might not bother your foot.

yeah it is
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Yes I am able to walk, my right foot is just tweaked a little in the inside, the posterior tibial tendon. I actually went out and got some KT tape wrapped it and it helped immensely. I'm going to try just treadmill walking and see how it goes. I need to be more diligent about stretching as I think tight calves contributed.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Trx suspension training is zero impact and great for strength building. You would have to buy the system and take some classes or personal training to learn proper technique. It is infinitely adaptable to your fitness level and there are thousands of possible exercises on you tube. I love it.