Ate out today

Options
Ate out today might have went a little over. Does anyone else struggle with keeping it lean when eating out? I know there's always something healthy on the menu but the little voice tells you it's ok.

Replies

• bboyd223
    bboyd223 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I do too....this sounds nuts, but I will log my meal into this app before I order. This helps me hit my calorie goal per meal and keeps me on track. It also helps me fin the healthy choices. Cajun huh? From Louisiana too?
  • BootyShakingBadAss
    BootyShakingBadAss Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I do both of the things listed! Eat half of my meal and prelog your food! Both really help !
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    We only eat out once every 2-3mths or so. So when I do i don't care about calories at all! Now, if it was every week or month I'd take more care and order less calorific menu items.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    If your goal is weight gain,does it really matter if you go over?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    It depends how often you eat out, if its only now and again its no biggie...

I eat out most Saturday nights, I plan for it and eat at slight deficit during the week so its sorted.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I'm in maintenance now, and we only eat at restaurants every few months or so now, so I just eat my favorite meal and log it; if I'm over on my calorie goal, it's not a big deal. What matters is what you do most of the time.

If I were eating out at restaurants 4 times a week, then I'd definitely be more mindful about eating lower calorie or only eating half and bringing half home.

My question is though, you've posted in the "gaining weight" section...are you trying to gain weight, or are you saying you've "gained weight?" If you are trying to gain weight, don't worry too much about the calories when you eat out, they'll help you reach your weight gain goal!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    isn't that the best thing about bulking... nice restaurant food!?
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    isn't that the best thing about bulking... nice restaurant food!?

Exactly!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    This is not what I thought this thread was about.

#giggity.

I usually go out to dinner at least once a week- if not more. My man and I are long distance- and we have only one day a week (thursday) so it's really one night- to ourselves. And usually- we go out to eat because it's nice to get out and go do something. And typically it's like all you can eat Brazilian steak house type stuff. #noshame

make good choices all week long and one meal chosen wisely will not hurt you.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Just because you're trying to gain weight, that doesn't mean every calorie you take in is good. Many bulkers still have a limit to reduce the amount of fat created within their gain.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Maybe OP thought this was the "oh no I'm gaining weight" forum, and missed the word goal??
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Just because you're trying to gain weight, that doesn't mean every calorie you take in is good. Many bulkers still have a limit to reduce the amount of fat created within their gain.

does that mean they are naughty calories and Santa won't bring them any gifts for Christmas?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Yes but that's controlled by the size of your surplus, not the type of food you eat.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    This is not about bulking is it?

• bigbuffbarry
    bigbuffbarry Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    A lot of people on here "bank" calories. (not me. I smash everything in sight.) Eat a little less each day 50-100 cals or so for 5 or 6 days prior, then smash a nice restaurant meal with little guilt. Just a quick tip. Honestly, if it's a rare occasion it probably isn't going to impact you in the grand scheme. Enjoy life!
  • VividDawn
    VividDawn Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    My cardiologist and dietician both tell me I can have whatever I want, just be careful about sodium (because of my heart failure).
    Have you ever seen the sodium content in a restaurant meal? It's usually about half your daily RDI!