Macros and how they affect weight loss - (Questions)

Options
priyul1000
priyul1000 Posts: 13 Member
edited November 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Hello!

Lately, as I approach a point of maintaining my current weight, I have been curios about Macros and Micros. I do not have a good knowledge regarding them, except the fact that they affect the way you feel, etc.

From what I've read, they improve/affect the way you feel throughout the day, and everyone has different requirements.

However, in my case, since I'm not used to tracking Macro intake, it fluctuates greatly from day to day. So while I continue to eat around 1600 calories per day, some days Carbs reach 70-80g while Fat gets to 40-50g, and other days Carbs reach 180-190g, while Fat intake is low.

So my question is, will your weight loss, or body composition rather, be affected by your Macros, and is it bad for my body to experience continuous fluctuations between Macros everyday? Also, is there a kind off 'limit' to the amount of Macros you can eat per day, in order to lose weight?

All responses will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    No, unless the numbers are way off for long periods, you'll be fine. And if it's way off, you will feel un-fine long before you can harm yourself. Just stick to your calories.
  • priyul1000
    Options
    No, unless the numbers are way off for long periods, you'll be fine. And if it's way off, you will feel un-fine long before you can harm yourself. Just stick to your calories.

Thank you for your response! So at the moment, calories are more important than Macros?
  • suedeliajane
    suedeliajane Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs calories out will be the biggest factor in weight loss. once you have reached a plateau using only calories as a guide, it is time to start tweaking your macros. your Fat and Carb requirements will vary depending on your activity that day. Your protein will usually remain the same. Renaissance Periodization is a good book for more information on this.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, macros and micros are mostly for health not weight loss (i.e. vitamins and minerals need a variety of foods of various macros to meet average daily requirements - *average* being key, not necessary to be the same every day).

But many people find their macro composition especially effects "satiety" - how full you feel or how hungry you feel. Some people find that if their carbs are lower, protein or fat higher, they are not as hungry and its easier to stick to their calorie allotment. Other people find that carbs a little higher makes them less hungry or have more energy for exercise, etc.

Maybe a fun exercise to pick a setting for your macros and try to meet that for a week, noting how you feel daily (energy, hungriness, mood etc). Then switch to a different extreme and do it again. Keep refining until you find the combo that you feel best on!
  • priyul1000
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »
    From what I understand, macros and micros are mostly for health not weight loss (i.e. vitamins and minerals need a variety of foods of various macros to meet average daily requirements - *average* being key, not necessary to be the same every day).

But many people find their macro composition especially effects "satiety" - how full you feel or how hungry you feel. Some people find that if their carbs are lower, protein or fat higher, they are not as hungry and its easier to stick to their calorie allotment. Other people find that carbs a little higher makes them less hungry or have more energy for exercise, etc.

Maybe a fun exercise to pick a setting for your macros and try to meet that for a week, noting how you feel daily (energy, hungriness, mood etc). Then switch to a different extreme and do it again. Keep refining until you find the combo that you feel best on!

Very helpful, thank you so much for your response!
  • JustAnotherOneOfThoseGirls
    Options
    depends on the person, some people feel better with high carbs, some people prefer focusing more on protein or fat, just have a play with it and see what you and your body prefers, as long as your sensible with your calories, experimenting with macros won't have any damage to your weight loss/maintenance. make it suitable for your lifestyle too, like if you're a weightlifter, maybe up your protein, if you're an endurance runner have a play with carbs etc. if you're having trouble, google macros calculator, and it'll let you input your height, weight, fitness goal etc. and give you an idea of what percentages to try (e.g. http://www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ )
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Calories are what matters for weight loss, weight gain and weight maintenance. I've never tracked macros/micros and instead just eat a varied diet, with all sorts of foods, and stay within my calorie goals. I know some people enjoy tracking macros and such, but I like keeping things simple and only focus on calories :)