How do you get over someone you are in love with?

Options
healthybearey
healthybearey Posts: 140 Member
edited November 2016 in Chit-Chat
Not directly MFP related but was hoping for some advice... LONG POST - (Sorry!)

I'm 20 if that counts for anything, A few days ago I found out that a guy ive been seeing (complicated) for about 4 1/2 years now has been 'messing' around with other women - i had my suspicions a few weeks back, and he just said that i was being delusional and that's its all in my head - but after knowing this guy for a long time, everything he was saying seemed so off! Few days ago i did some digging around (i know it's not the best thing to do) but, i found clear evidence of him firstly, lying about what he said and him making moves on other women..

I confronted him by text at first, he just said i'm being moody and that i've got 'problems' - called him many times to try and speak about it rather than text, he just kept ignoring my calls - by this point i was literally distraught, because hes ignoring me, i've found out hes been lying to me plus he didn't seem to be bothered that i had found out he was lying - his last text was to stop calling him, he doesnt want to talk to me

So, last night I was so upset / probably one of the lowest points in my life so far (not an exaggeration)- got to about 3/4am and i still could not sleep, just kept crying - so i deleted him off everything / all social media, his number -i've done this before but i always have gone back to him! he is literally like a drug.. and the first person i can truly say i have fallen in love with - we would be in contact most of the day, everyday for the past few years even me being away at university... basically my personal life has revolved around him and only him - so i've become isolated other than my friends back at home (i'm studying at uni at the moment so am away from home for another year).

My eating habits are ok at the moment - i haven't binged yet and have maintained my weight loss - but it's the sleeping and constantly feeling like crying aspect that its getting to me as i'm also trying to focus on essay deadlines etc.. i spend most of my time at my uni home because i need to get my essays and work done - this years work has been extremely stressful already

Im worried that I won't ever get over him as im so used to having daily contact with him for all these years and that i will run back to him as i tried to yesterday... i don't know how to forget him / move on.

Any tips would be great....

Replies

• Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    I’m sorry you’re heartbroken. That always sucks. I recommend you don’t contact him at all. I know it’s not easy but if you continue to do so and keep getting rejected, you’re only going to feel worse. It sounds cliché, but time really does heal all wounds. This too shall pass.
  • bluebell88xx
    bluebell88xx Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Oh and a good app for sleeping is called Pzizz, I use it when my anxiety is bad and it works a treat for me :)
  • Sassia
    Sassia Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    It might seem like you won't get over him but you will and it will be easier than you think. It might not be easy but you'll manage. Work will be a good distraction. Your concentration might be off for a bit but it'll come back. You can do this. I'm very old and have been through it loads!
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    He sounds like a real *kitten*, do yourself a favor and get out there and find somebody better

You need to distract yourself and keep busy. Download Tinder - distraction
    Find a hobby - keeping busy
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You will get over him. It takes time. When I was in your situation, I saw a therapist and he offered short-term antidepressants. I didn't take them but I know others who did in the same situation and they were helpful to those people. So it's an option if you want to feel better more quickly.

But either way, as they say, "time heals." And it really does. I know it doesn't feel now like you'll ever be happy again, but you will. And a few years from now you won't even remember why you missed him at all.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    Good for you for reaching out even online to ask for help. I found it helps to have friends (both real life and online) that you can express your feelings and get things off your chest.

It is normal to grieve the loss of the dream, which is basically what this is. Sounds like he is not really worth wasting any more time over.

My daughter who is your age is going through the same thing, and she told herself that she would only wallow in self-pity for maybe 2 weeks, and then she was pulling up her big-girl panties and getting on with it. She still has days where she mourns the loss of the relationship, but she gets a bit better every day.

Excellent advice on distractions, and keeping busy. And try to work up a good mad, because you know his actions deserve that.
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    It is very obvious that he has no respect for you. The fact that he wouldn't just talk you through everything and resorted to name calling, shows how he feels for you. He is a loser. No woman or man needs a person like that in their lives. It will take time, but you will get there. You just need to remind yourself that you deserve better. You deserve a man that will confide in you, respect you and love you in your times of doubt, and he is obviously not that person. You are young. Give it time. Learn to love yourself and in time, you will see that a man like that is only a stepping stone to get you to somewhere better. xoxo
  • healthybearey
    healthybearey Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    It is very obvious that he has no respect for you. The fact that he wouldn't just talk you through everything and resorted to name calling, shows how he feels for you. He is a loser. No woman or man needs a person like that in their lives. It will take time, but you will get there. You just need to remind yourself that you deserve better. You deserve a man that will confide in you, respect you and love you in your times of doubt, and he is obviously not that person. You are young. Give it time. Learn to love yourself and in time, you will see that a man like that is only a stepping stone to get you to somewhere better. xoxo

Thank you! I definetly agree with the self love aspect, i have too many insecurities and when i first met him he made me feel super special / like he really wanted me, probably one of the reasons i got 'addicted' to him over the years despite him having bad traits - i'm going to take each day as it comes - hopefully in time i will look back and think what was i thinking! again, thank you! x
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Clearly, he didn't love you. Why would you want to waste your time on him? You deserve love and respect, so good riddance. Keep reminding yourself that, it will get better with time.
  • caroldownie58
    caroldownie58 Posts: 23 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Hi I know you don't know me but please believe me when I tell you that you will get over this guy. The best way for yourself is getting on with your life. Nothing pisses a guy more than seeing his ex move on. You will find someone else who's worthy of your loyalty and trust. Meantime be good to yourself xxx