Keeping mind off unhealthy food

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,110 Member
    I don't classify foods as good or bad. If I crave something then I find a way to work it into my goals. I don't actually crave a lot of what some consider "junk" foods because knowing that I can have them if I want them makes it easy not to eat them if I don't have room for them.
  • kgirlhart
    ihy76 wrote: »
    What's worked for me is not labeling any kinds of foods 'junk/unhealthy'. I eat what I like and just stay within my calorie goals. Have had great success doing things this way, and I'm in excellent health with a current bmi of 21 :)

If you really want to lose some weight fast then you should visit my website, has everything you need

This website we're currently on has everything one needs to lose weight. What does your website have that can't be found here?

Well our products have a 3 week programme where you can lose 12-25 pounds in body fat... If not the you are guaranteed your money back :smile:

No one needs to lose 12-25 pounds in 3 weeks. I think I'll stick to mfp which promotes healthy weight loss and is free, no need for a money back guarantee.
  • nagdha
    nagdha Posts: 30 Member
    Thank you all for your replies. I can't quit buying cookies and chips as my husband n kid devour it.
    How did u all get that moment when u were able to say ' that's enough' to yourself instead of munching. I really want to be mindful but I feel stressed rather than being happy about making healthy choices.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    nagdha wrote: »
    Thank you all for your replies. I can't quit buying cookies and chips as my husband n kid devour it.
    How did u all get that moment when u were able to say ' that's enough' to yourself instead of munching. I really want to be mindful but I feel stressed rather than being happy about making healthy choices.

I'm sorry, but, why do your children and husband need chips and cookies?
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited November 2016

In the very beginning of my weight loss attempt this past year, I asked my husband to put his chips and so on, in the garage. I didn't want to see them and I didn't want the kids to see them. The kids didn't need them either. They had plenty of food as it was.

Then my husband got on board with weight loss (I didn't ask him to). We simply stopped buying chips for the most part, and stopped buying loads of ice cream (this was only temporary).

Later, we both began to add these back into our diets and it was easy to control them knowing we COULD have some, within our calorie goals. But stopping the CONSTANT eat-a-thon was crucial, for me. I mean my husband was literally lying on his back with food propped on his stomach eating from 8:00 at night (when he gets home) until midnight. I had to see it, I had to smell it, I had to hear the crunching and "MMMMMMMMMM this is SOOOOOOOO good" for hours every single night, night after night. It was unbearable to me. Until he got on board I wasn't really able to do it.

But my point is, do your kids need that amount of snacks any more than you do? Even if they're not overweight, what child "needs" chips and candy with every meal and for snacks? (I'm not saying that's what you're doing, I'm just saying, why not keep the treats as treats?) You do the shopping, not them...right? So don't buy the stuff. If your husband screams and cries because there are no Doritos ask him to go out and buy some (or pick some up on the way home from work) and nicely and sincerely ask him to keep them in some place you won't see them every time you open the cupboard. Doesn't he love you? Wouldn't he listen if you calmly and sincerely told him you are struggling AND that you don't want the kids to have an overweight future, too? (As for him, he's a grownup. He can do what he wants to do. But he doesn't *have* to do it directly in front of you nor demand that the cupboards be jammed with cookies, does he?)

I know there will be lots of people who smugly say "Nobody's forcing the food into your mouth" so I am not saying this is the answer for everyone, but you say you are struggling, so I really feel this could help.

As I said...we do eat "junk" (as you call it) in my house. But we don't have bags and bags and boxes and boxes of Doritos and cookies overflowing every cabinet. Who needs it? Not us. Not our kids. Our kids get plenty of fun foods PLUS their little treats here or there and so do we (the grown-ups) and that is fine for us.

• nagdha
    nagdha Posts: 30 Member
    rainbowbow wrote: »

They eat in moderation.so it's allowed in our home.
  • kgirlhart
    edited November 2016

It helps me to log them before I eat them. Sometimes I'll log it and then look at the calorie count and delete them and not eat it after all. I also eat stuff like that slowly so I can really enjoy it.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    they devour cookies/chips and they eat in moderation...those two statements are kind of at odds with each other aren't they?
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited November 2016
    they devour cookies/chips and they eat in moderation...those two statements are kind of at odds with each other aren't they?

I was thinking the same thing...

What's wrong with them having *some* treats and you having *some* treats (within your calorie limit), OP?

If they're not crunching cookies *all* the time then the cookies won't be in your face, and all of you can have three cookies for dessert at night or whatever. :)

If they're devouring then it sounds like you're talking bout a whole butt-ton of cookies everywhere and again...who needs that? Of course, if a grown-up wants that...well, a grown-up can eat what she wants to eat. But kids? I don't care how "naturally" children are supposed to know what "their bodies need" (as I've heard many people say), I am going to oversee what my kids eat...period. When they're 18, if they want to go on The Cookie Diet, well, have at it, kids. :)

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

As others have previously stated, I don't look to this kind of food to "satisfy" me from a, "I'm full, that's enough" standpoint. I fill my diet primarily with highly nutritious foods...lots of veg, 2-3 servings of fruit...complex carbohydrates from things like oat and beans and lentils and potatoes, etc...lean sourced protein and healthy fats. These are the things that ultimately satisfy my hunger...I have a cookie or two for desert at the end of the day.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

Why do you feel stressed?

I think the key is to decide what you want to do and WHY. Understanding why it's important to you provides the reason and ability to do it. For me, giving up cookies forever would be a "why?" that I could not understand, as I see no nutritional reason or health reason for it. Eating appropriate calories and a balanced, nutrient dense diet and cookies only when and to the extent they fit in, though, that's an easy one when I ask myself why.

Also, as I said above, for me it's easier to control eating times. If I don't eat between meals other than a planned dessert right after dinner, I just don't think about snacking at other times, even when everyone else seems to be. My why is it's not mealtime, why would I need to be eating.

(Not saying this is the strategy that would work for everyone, just the one that works for me. I do think having a strong idea why you are doing it is important, though. Helps you feel good about it.)
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited November 2016

I've been at this whole thing for a few years now and I just had to learn that once I'm out of calories for the day, then I'm done eating. Period. This didn't happen overnight, but it's something that's gotten easier to adhere to over time. I've learned that I control food, it doesn't control me. I can enjoy the foods I like, and when it's time to stop eating them, then I walk away.

eta: OP it sounds like part of your problem/frustration is you're boxing yourself in with arbitrary rules about what food is allowed/not allowed. If eating a certain way is stressing you out, then it makes no sense to keep eating that way. That's just going to lead to failure. You need to figure out how to do this whole thing in a way that's realistic and sustainable for you, for the long term (weight loss means nothing if you can't keep the weight off). Just eat the foods you like, pay attention to portion sizes and then hit your calorie targets.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member

Maybe because they enjoy them? I ate 2 cookies and a serving of chips with my lunch today and it made my meal more enjoyable. My husband and kids also eat chips and cookies and have no problem maintaining their healthy weight.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Maybe because they enjoy them? I ate 2 cookies and a serving of chips with my lunch today and it made my meal more enjoyable. My husband and kids also eat chips and cookies and have no problem maintaining their healthy weight.

Yeah, my husband always keeps cookies and chips around. Sometimes I will have some, sometimes I won't. It's up to me. I don't think he should have to change what he eats because I want to maintain a certain weight.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    edited November 2016

I think it comes down to whether you're hungry or you want to eat just to eat. If you're hungry maybe you need to work on your macros so you will be more sated or maybe you need to increase your calories a bit.

If you're wanting to eat just to eat, just because it's there, and you like the taste...that's just a bad habit you are going to have to break like any other bad habit. If you tell yourself no often enough it will become second nature to only eat when you're hungry.

Also, ETA: if I'm craving a food and it won't fit into my daily calories, I will simply make room for it the next day so I am never denying myself anything. It's much easier to tell myself "not today" than "no".
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    You have the issue wrong way around. Concentrate on what you're supposed to have. Focus on the positive. Most people are driven by their last dominant thought. If you think "I can't have ______(fill in the blank)________", then what's your mind keying on? If, on the other hand, you think "I CAN have ________(fill in the blank)_______", you're more likely to stay on track and avoid falling off protocol.
  • bkbirge
    bkbirge Posts: 107 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    If I don't eat between meals other than a planned dessert right after dinner, I just don't think about snacking at other times, even when everyone else seems to be. My why is it's not mealtime, why would I need to be eating.

Great attitude, gotta remember that one. As far as having to have cookies in the house, if you are trying to avoid them and your husband and kid love 'em then maybe try different things...

1. Have your husband do the shopping for those snacks. That way he and your kiddo can be in control of those choices and you are less likely to grab some if you know they are "theirs".
    2. Buy cookies that they like but maybe not your favorite flavors.
    3. Combine 1 and 2, assuming you have a supportive family.
    4. Make them at home, with lower cal substitute ingredients (apple sauce instead of butter, half of the salt/sugar, etc.) and/or smaller sized cookies.

I've got a wicked wicked sweet tooth but my daughter's favorites are lollipops and peppermints which I'm not that jazzed about so it's easier for me to leave those alone even though they are stockpiled in the house. We both like jujyfruits and similar gummy candies, those don't stand a chance if I'm around so I've learned to just not buy them. Kiddo is happy with what we have and I don't feel triggered.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    What's worked for me is not labeling any kinds of foods 'junk/unhealthy'. I eat what I like and just stay within my calorie goals. Have had great success doing things this way, and I'm in excellent health with a current bmi of 21 :)

If you really want to lose some weight fast then you should visit my website, has everything you need

This website we're currently on has everything one needs to lose weight. What does your website have that can't be found here?

Well our products have a 3 week programme where you can lose 12-25 pounds in body fat... If not the you are guaranteed your money back :smile:

So someone can eat whatever they'd like, add your products, and lose 12-25 pounds in 3 weeks?

You don't even know what I weigh now. How can you be so confident that I could lose 12-25 pounds of body fat in 3 weeks. I weigh 108 pounds -- you sound either dangerously misinformed or like a total scam artist.

they have left the building it seems
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    I think there's nothing wrong with telling kids or spouse that there are not going to be any chips or ice cream at a constant basis at the house...because it's a problem for a family member. Not that they can't have chips at school, or at a friend's house, or at Grandma's, or maybe eating out once in a while. Usually people can adapt to this better than we think they can especially if it's not a blanket ban, just a reduction in availability.

It's no different than not being able to have a cat because a family member has severe allergies.

Kids don't need cookies and chips in moderation, after all. And even if they're healthy, it's not good for them.