Just starting..

Options
vmrjj
vmrjj Posts: 25 Member
Just getting started with counting calories. I've done points and containers but have never counted calories so this is new for me. How do you all divide your calories for the day? What do you allow for breaks and main meals? All help appreciated..

P.S Those little suckers (calories) add up fast! Lol

Replies

• Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Since you're asking for anecdotes... Personally, I've allowed anything and everything within my caloric allotment. That said, if you're super low on calories, sometimes you have to be a little more creative with the food you do eat.

I typically work out in the morning on an empty stomach, so I don't usually start eating until afternoon (bank calories for later). That's made it all work for me as I have most of my calories at night when I like eating and snacking anyway.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different and you will have to find what works for you.

I personally find that leaving breakfast til later, 9:30 or so, works better for me. I eat approximately 250 calories for breakfast, lunch and afternoon snack. That leaves me about 1000 calories for dinner. I prefer a large dinner.

Some people are the opposite and prefer a large breakfast and smaller lunch and dinner. Experiment around and see what works best for you.
  • vmrjj
    vmrjj Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for the tips. I like the idea of eating later. I'm not much of an early morning eater so I think I'll definitely use this advice.
  • Kristi26
    Kristi26 Posts: 184 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I like to have my coffee in the morning and then wait to eat until after I work out (also in the morning). I then average about 300 calories for breakfast. Lunch is typically 300-500, depending on the day. I have a snack in the afternoon (100-200 calories, tops). And then dinner is usually 400-600. I also always have a serving of dairy free ice cream ( I'm lactose intolerant). I get 1400 calories a day and always exercise to get 300+ more for the day. I'm short, so not a lot of calories needed. ;)
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    vmrjj wrote: »
    Thank you both for the tips. I like the idea of eating later. I'm not much of an early morning eater so I think I'll definitely use this advice.

Hooray! Keep us posted!