Failing Maintaining

Options
Well I have done fantastic on myfitnesspal. I lost 100 pounds and it was fantastic. I went for a month long holiday and was only up 8 pounds... i rock this. Two days after getting back from holidays i got laid off work and now I am up 30 pounds.
Yes I know I do not have as active of friends on here since I lost the weight, so guess I need more encouraging friends and I do not have a set schedule so that is not helping and when I am bored I eat.
So if anyone wants to add me as a friend and friendly kick me in the *kitten* feel free, I need the support and will try my best to return the favour.

Replies

• Cave_Goose
    Cave_Goose Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm bored as well.

The first thing is get the snack foods out of the house. I know it's hard, but it's like the alcoholic trying to maintain sobriety with a bottle of cooking wine in the pantry. If you know it's there, you will be fighting the temptation constantly.

Are you staying active? It's hard to be bored if you are doing something. Not just exercise, but anything to keep you busy. Start a new hobby. Volunteer. Join a club/group. Anything to keep you busy.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your job loss! On the bright side, you've caught this before you gained all 100+ back, which is what happens to a lot of people when they get off track. Just jump back in and start tracking your calorie intake, and you'll back to your 100lb loss soon :)
  • hosijoe
    hosijoe Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I also have failed miserably at maintenance. I lost 125 pounds and have gained 25 back since February. Maybe we can help each other? I will find you and send you a request. You did it once you can do it again, that's what I keep telling my self anyways.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Great job on the loss. I also struggled with maintaining, so now I am back to losing, and this time I am going much slower as instead of going for the quick loss I am going to take the time to re-learn how to eat properly since maintaining is basically still a matter of calorie control. Last time I also lost on a huge deficit thus losing a lot of muscle. If you are not logging food, get back to it.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your job, but great job on catching the weight creep. Since you're not working, can you take this opportunity to really focus on nutrition and exercise? Learn to cook some great new healthy recipes? Find some great trails that you normally would get to use and bike/walk/run/hike. Lift weights during the day -- what a luxury.

You can't sit at a computer and fire out resumes ALL day, so make the best of it and use this time to focus on yourself and staying healthy. Also, set a schedule -- eat at regular times just like you would if you were working and prep your meals in advance. The better you feel about yourself, the more confidence you will have on all those interviews!! Best of Luck.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Well I have done fantastic on myfitnesspal. I lost 100 pounds and it was fantastic. I went for a month long holiday and was only up 8 pounds... i rock this. Two days after getting back from holidays i got laid off work and now I am up 30 pounds.
    Yes I know I do not have as active of friends on here since I lost the weight, so guess I need more encouraging friends and I do not have a set schedule so that is not helping and when I am bored I eat.
    So if anyone wants to add me as a friend and friendly kick me in the *kitten* feel free, I need the support and will try my best to return the favour.

To begin with - Well done on the weight loss and for catching the gain before it gets worse.

Sorry you were laid off, as was I in October, but what I did do was increase my exercise activity otherwise I knew I'd be sat around eating.

I've managed to pick up a bit of work so that's helped keep me in a routine, maybe you could volunteer somewhere?

For me, and I understand this isn't for everyone, but I need to have a plan and routine, so I plan my food whether or not I'm working and try and keep myself busy so I'm not in the fridge eating out of boredom.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,940 Member
    Options
    I do not have a set schedule so that is not helping and when I am bored I eat.
    First of all congratulations on your initial loss. AND congratulations on figuring out one of your primary triggers!

So... what are you doing to rectify the issue?

Someone suggested keeping a pre-set schedule or pre-planned meals.
    Both would work.

Another suggestion might be going for a (minimum 15 minute) walk around the neighbourhood EVERY time you find yourself wondering towards the fridge. in fact, it could be a "rule": "I will not eat anything till I go for a 15 minute walk and then pre-log what I'm going to eat".

Another suggestion would be to get a collection of "go-to' low calorie snacks: every time you're hungry... well at least you're not doing as much damage as you MIGHT have done if you hadn't taken precautions!