Strong Curves Equipment

Options
I'm making the switch from Stronglifts to StrongCurves (just reading the book now) and will be working from my home gym. I have squat racks, bar, plates, bench, kettlebell, swiss ball and a yoga mat. It looks like I also need resistance bands, a TRX kit and a step in order to do the work-outs as written. Am I missing anything else?

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Bumping to see if anyone can help on this. Thanks
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I'm sure he lists what you need in book.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Its been awhile, but looks good to me. There are plenty of alternatives in the book to make use of whatever you have. I remember replacing most cable exercises with bands. Used a pull up bar as well. Never used TRX. Did KB swings instead of cable pull-throughs. For back extensions, I anchored my heels under a loaded barbell and did them on the swiss ball.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    lemmie177 wrote: »
    For back extensions, I anchored my heels under a loaded barbell and did them on the swiss ball.

Why haven't I thought of this?!?!? Thank you!!!!!

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I don't remember needing a kettle bell or TRX kit.

Back extensions:

https://youtu.be/DnjXAAr29Lc
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    My homemade GHD--> I place a half or full foam roll on a bench and wedge my feet under another bench. The foam roll gives more range of motion. Instead of laying on the bench as seen in Brett's video above, I am perpendicular and rest my thighs on the roll.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. His list of equipment in the book is pretty extensive. And that's just for the first 4 weeks. It sounds like most of you were able to make it work with what you have. Looking forward to getting started!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If there is an exercise that calls for equipment you don't have, look in the back of the book for a substitute exercise.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    If you're starting with the bootyful beginnings (or whatever) program, I don't recall needing a ton of equipment at all. Lots of bodyweight things to start, but you have a solid setup.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I'm doing SC in my home gym right now, currently on week 9. The first 4 weeks I think you hardly touch even a barbell. I have Powerblock dumbells and I have used them a ton in this program, and I like how I can adjust them easily.

For the cable exercises I either substitute with a resistance band or substitute another exercise from the back of the book. Ex: I did band assisted chin ups instead of lat pulldowns and one arm DB rows instead of cable rows.

I did end up buying a cheap folding reverse hyper machine as I couldn't get any of the mods to work right for me. But I'm usually looking for an excuse to buy new equipment anyway :)