Starting to run / Hip flexor issue

Options
Hello! I am just starting to do some run/walks after a long time away . . . and at about 30-35 pounds more than is healthy. I thought my knees would hurt but it's more my hip flexors. I plan to keep at it (run/walk every other day) but am open to feedback and advice about how to handle it. Thank you!

Replies

• GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Pre-run, make sure you warm up properly. Maybe walk for the first half mile or so. Post-run, make sure you stretch those hip flexors. Runner's lunge or lizard lunges are pretty good for that, and maybe add some foam rolling to the area too.

Whatever you do don't ignore the pain. If warming up and stretching aren't helping then ease up on the mileage and don't increase more than 10% a week. Ignoring pain often leads to over-use injuries and if you get one of those you'll likely be out for 4-6 weeks while it heals.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Foam roller does wonders for me. Initially it hurt like heck but I love it and I am not so stiff and sore the next day.
  • EauRouge1
    EauRouge1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I've had problems with my hips in the past and it has lead to ITB problems as well, so don't ignore it! Try exercises to strengthen your hips, like clamshells (you can do it without a band to start with and then build up to that). I also do 10 mins daily of a yoga session called yoga for runners on Sworkit (free app). It has a lot of hip and hamstring stretches and has really helped.