going to start logging tomorrow advice needed

Options
I want to start logging tomorrow but have a question I have a lot of leftovers how do you log things you don't know what is exactly in them? Any other advice?

Replies

• Zendrick
    Zendrick Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I am trying to avoid that items have mystery ingredients. I scan bar codes, and eat pure ingredients. I am just starting out as well. I ordered a food scale last night to be more exact on logging. I do elliptical 5x a week plus gym 4-5x a week. I am only a little over a week into my journey.
    Best of luck
  • SheridanWild
    SheridanWild Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Estimate as best you can whilst getting through the left overs or eating out, once your making fresh meals it'll be much easier to log the precise ingredients and amounts as you go. I've been amazed by how many different items are in the Search ... it gets easier. Much luck :smile:
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    When you're in the swing of logging, leftovers are simple to log: You copy the meal form one day to the next and then (if needed) edit the quantities.

In your instance, on day one, you can't do that so just take a best guess with content and weight, log it and carry on.

Good luck with it.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Been on here for over two years and lost 55 pounds in the first year and a half- now trying my best to stay on here and maintain. My best advice overall is- relax and trust the process. More specifically:
    Drink water- the more you drink the more you will want it and it's a great habit.
    Prep veggies one day a week to have to throw on salads and wraps
    Eat high protein- greek yogurt, cheese sticks, nuts and lean meats- keeps you feeling full
    Eat healthy fats - nuts, avocado, cheese- small amounts also keep you feeling full
    Eat high fiber with low sugar such as oatmeal, fruit and veggies- also keeps you full and you can eat in large quantities for very few calories with vegetables
    Plan plan plan - take healthy snacks with you if you are going to be out and about, pack lunches, prep dinner
    Start small- once you get used to one habit change then add another
    Don't deprive yourself of anything you love - log it and make it fit
    That being said- keep trigger foods out of the house if you can't stop eating them (e.g, chips, cookies)
    Find exercise you enjoy- even walking will burn calories; if you hate the exercise you're doing you won't stick with it; try to get in some strength training a couple of days a week
    Make no foods off limits- no bad foods; if you eat high calorie, exercise a bit more or just eat less of those foods
    If you mess up, and you will, just start fresh the next meal or day, etc
    Get involved in social support for your weight loss- people who hold the same sensible beliefs as you
    Good luck- you can do this!!
  • cocates
    cocates Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Estimate as best you can re: leftovers. Be realistic. I've come to find, if I can't log it accurately, I don't eat it.

Buy a food scale and weigh your food! $10 at Walmart will get you started. Don't be afraid of it.
    Learn how to use the recipe builder.
    Do not deprive yourself of any food. Make it fit into your calorie allotment.
    Use this (or a similar) caluclator to determine how many calories you'll need each day to lose weight: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    Read the stickies here (I think they call them announcements now :wink: ). There is a ton of great info that the veterans around here have given!

Good luck!
  • Meticulous_Nails
    Meticulous_Nails Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I utilize the receipe option on this site and get all my main prep ideas from www.skinnytaste.com and purchase all
    the items and track them all according to serving size and put each serving equally into separate containers and pull out of the freezer or fridge everyday as I need them.. Works perfectly and the receipe is available and easy to log. I have a huge cooking day once a week but it is worth not having to worry about what i am going to eat day to day.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I want to start logging tomorrow but have a question I have a lot of leftovers how do you log things you don't know what is exactly in them? Any other advice?

Do any of the recipes for your leftovers come from the Internet? If so, it's so easy to copy and paste the URL into the recipe builder and find out the calories. I can't stress enough what others have said about using a food scale.

Congrats on the baby, btw!