What do you make for dinner when you are alone?

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Typically, I'll stir fry some chicken (or fish or shrimp, because my husband doesn't eat seafood and I only cook it when I'm cooking for myself) with vegetables and some pasta with some kind of sauce. Something that won't dirty a lot of dishes. If I'm going to be dining solo for several days in a row, I might cook up extra the first day and eat leftovers the rest.

Or sometimes, I'm not really hungry, so I'll just have a bowl of cereal.
  • janecarol61
    janecarol61 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    lol I'm having PB&J on a whole wheat pita tonight...I really just have to eat through the stuff that's about to go bad...another problem with shopping for one :(

Green Bags really help prolong the life of fruits and veggies!
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing to make right now for myself is a chicken burger with a poached egg and avocado. Some salsa if I'm feeling saucy. I try not to buy too many things for myself to eat as a meal alone just because I tend to overeat that way.
  • angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm always alone, as it's so hot in London this week I've been having mostly salads.Tonight I had a chicken breast cooked in my George Foreman grill, which I use a lot, with veggies. I use my steamer for veg. One thing I do is make a batch of freezable recipes so I always have home-cooked 'ready meals' in the freezer.
  • laurabailey2605
    Options
    I make dinners for one and i normally make an omelette with peppers, sweetcorn and ham. Add a salad and you've got a healthy satisfying meal!
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    pizzadilla on whole wheat tortilla, tomato sauce, mozzarella and any toppings you like. spread the sauce cheese and toppings until cheese melts on the skillet, flip into a quesadilla.

i make quinoa spinach patties ahead of time and nuke when if i am too lazy to cook.

i cook for 2 people so i really don't make a lot, you can always have leftovers the next day. stuffed zucchini is good since you can stuff a whole one and have both halves, or a portabella mushroom burger on the george forman.
  • kristyb1982
    kristyb1982 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Bumping for ideas. Great stuff!
  • cake_superior
    cake_superior Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When I'm away at college I eat stir fry pretty much everyday. It's easy, fast and low cal. Throw in whatever random veggies you want/have in the kitchen. I usually add some diced turkey (when I can remember to defrost a portion). Throw it on top of some brown rice or noodles and you have a meal!

Edit: I forgot to mention: Blue Dragon stir fry sauce is about 80c a packet here. It has two servings per packet and the black bean stir fry one (which is my favourite) has 58 cal per serving.
  • iarelarry
    iarelarry Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    A bucket of icecream....

Forever alone...:cry:
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Tessyloowhoo Posts: 504
    Options
    I usually make some type of healthy french fry type thing... like carrot fries with garlic powder, parmsean zucchini fries, sweet potato fries and then eat leftover chicken breasts with it!
    That way i dont have to share my deliciousness
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I was with you until you said lower calorie. My dinners are not low calorie at all. But I would suggest some kind of stir-fry. It's quick, it's easy, it's healthy.
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    NM
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Some of mine recently...

black bean or chickpea burger on a bed of cabbage and sweet potato fries
    the same veg burger, on a Sandwich Skinny with lettuce & onion and sugar free jello w/ fruit
    sauteed mushrooms, onions & peppers with a bit of shredded cheese & Sriracha
    French toast made with sugar free syrup and a smear of natural peanut butter
    nachos with crabmeat or beans, green onions, cheddar, and salsa (broiled, made with about 12 tortilla chips)
    veggie dumplings, minced garlic & bok choy steamed with sesame-soy sauce drizzled over the top
    TVP tacos
    4 oz salmon, couscous & steamed broccoli
  • missinesita
    missinesita Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If I'm not inspired I make an angel hair noodle soup or two scrambled eggs with lettuices salada and shredded cheese on the side
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Beetroot
    Corn beef hash
    Custard
    Veggie and egg curry
    Omelette

Er - the food I cannot persuade my hubby to eat...

(Or if I don't fancy cooking - pasta and simple sauce eg anchovies and peas)

When my hubby cooks just for him he goes out specially and buys steak!

More seriously - cooking just for one can be fun too, and you can always plate up portions for later in the week if that suits better. You are worth the effort - and it is a chance to try out new foods or go back to your favourites without any pressure ...
  • nwatrous
    nwatrous Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When I'm on my own, I use it as an excuse to make something my fiance doesn't like. Seafood, mushrooms, and/or cream cheese usually come into play. Last time I think it was a quick pasta with shrimp and mushrooms in a white wine sauce. So yummy!
  • nicolaturner1986
    nicolaturner1986 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I cook a few meals just for myself regularly because either my partner is usually still at work or he doesn't fancy what I want, my usuals are:

Omlette with various fillings (bacon cheese mushrooms, etc) with Potato wedges (made slimming world style)
    Boil in the bag fish with veg and baby potatoes
    Jacket potato with beans and cheese
    Homemade soup (I bought a soup maker, its great I can have fresh soup ready to eat in 20 mins :smile: )

I live close to a butchers too so sometimes I walk over the road and pick myself up a steak or a marinated chicken breast to cook for myself too to have with salad or veg - that's the good thing with a butcher you can get quality meat in whatever quantity you want

x
  • KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Canned light Progresso soup. I have a family of 5 and cooking all the time gets annoying. If it's just me, a simple can of soup will do. LOL
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    im never alone
    salads
    sandwiches
    soups
    lean pockets
    eggs and toast
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    - Instant noodles with egg and vegetables (I've done carrot, broccoli, peas, silver-beet, onion etc. but not all at once). The vegies really bulk the noodles up and I get two servings from making it this way.

- Canned soup

- Yogurt

- Salad

- Anything really, just saving the leftovers for later if it's more than one serving.