This app asks if I wanna gain 2 pounds a week. Is this healthy?

Options
I'd love to gain 2 a week. I set it to 1 a week though. I wasn't sure if 2 a week was too much. Has anyone ever personally gained that much a week?

Replies

• VividDawn
    VividDawn Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    2 might be okay. If you gain more than 2 in a few days, though, that's usually fluid retention.

I have heart failure, so I have to weigh every day. If I gain a pound (oe more) overnight, I know it's just "water"... And then I have to take my diuretics, or I won't be able to breathe that night :/
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I have never tried to gain (though I've done so accidentally many times lol), so I don't know how much is too much. Just wanted to say that in general, if you aren't sure, it's better to start out slow.

Also depends on your goals - are you underweight and needing to get to a healthier weight, or are you a healthy weight and trying to put on muscle?
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's a little fast- don't know about healthy. I set it to gain at 1lb a week because I was slightly underweight but think even that was too much because a lot of it has gone to my middle.
    Like the above says,it depends on your goals.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Aggressive weight gain is going to be all in the form of fat. There are a lot more health risks associated with very fast weight gain. And while this is anecdotal, everyone on here that I have seen that has gained quickly, has complained about where they gained the fat and how their bodies looked, even after being cautioned about it.

If you want a good body, mitigate risk where necessary, take it slow and follow a good progressive overload program.
  • CASEYSgirl93
    CASEYSgirl93 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6. My weight is 122. My weight is more so in my bottom half than top. I wear a 5 in bottoms, could prob wear a 7, but my top is all a small. So, I feel as though I'm slightly underweight and want more weight gain plus muscle. Thanks for the replies. I'll keep it set at 1 for now then maybe go up to 2 later!
  • CASEYSgirl93
    Options
    Thank you.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    From the few charts I have seen, you are at the bottom end of a weight and not really underweight (could vary based on chart). So it wouldn't appear to have some immediate need like that found in those who are severely underweight. So I would definitely take it slow (1/2-1/3 lb per week) and follow a solid progressive overload lifting program (one of these), eat ~120g of protein, and get a good amount of rest. This way, you will not only see weight gain, but improvements in your body composition.

Just wanted to agree with this, esp based on your follow up post. The faster you gain, the more of it will be fat. So go slow, and good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6. My weight is 122. My weight is more so in my bottom half than top. I wear a 5 in bottoms, could prob wear a 7, but my top is all a small. So, I feel as though I'm slightly underweight and want more weight gain plus muscle. Thanks for the replies. I'll keep it set at 1 for now then maybe go up to 2 later!

I'd set it more for 1/2 Lb per week...you also need to make sure you're doing some kind of progressive resistance training program.
  • CASEYSgirl93
    Options
    I have 3 kids all under 4. What exercises can I do at home that'll help?
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options

Pick up the kids :)
    Push ups, planks, other bodyweight exercises
    Exercise videos
    Yoga during naps
    Pull ups and box jumps at the park
    Jazzercise or other group classes at a place that has childcare
    Running in early mornings while kids are asleep before your partner leaves for work

• psuLemon
    Options

Depends on what equipment you have. But in the link I provided, there are 2 body weight routines.
  • snowboundfroglover
    Options
    I just want to add that as someone who has always been tiny and has a very hard time keeping weight on - the biggest thing that's helped me is logging my food. Especially now that I'm pregnant and gaining weight is so important, making sure that I'm getting in enough calories by food logging is the only way I'm consistently gaining. So I'd recommend that no matter where you set the weight gain, make sure you're focusing on the caloric intake and composition.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

I gave you two proven ones in your other thread involving your midsection.

I also would aim at half a pound a week in your case.

I've gained two pounds a week before, but I also have a good amount of understanding how to reel in my body's changes. Focus on yourself and what you need.
  • CASEYSgirl93
    Options
    Thanks. I just wanna try a lot of diff ones and see what works. Or what doesn't.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Thanks. I just wanna try a lot of diff ones and see what works. Or what doesn't.

Programs work. When they don't, it's because the person didn't work them. Pick one that you can do as it is written and work it :).

I wouldn't suggest jumping around without finishing one, give the program the time.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Programs work. When they don't, it's because the person didn't work them. Pick one that you can do as it is written and work it :).

I wouldn't suggest jumping around without finishing one, give the program the time.

I would agree with this. One of the biggest mistakes i have made in the past is being impatient and tired of a program. For many noob gains can last up to a year. So switching often can impede many of these gains long term.
  • CASEYSgirl93
    Options
    Awesome. Thank y'all!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

I'll agree with this, but with one caveat. If you start a program, and find after a few weeks that you really dislike it? Then go ahead and try a different one. No sense in trying to force yourself to do something you don't want to.