Protein is annoying

CatRodger
CatRodger Posts: 105
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
My Worst day with protein ever !!! -70 how bad is that I tink there healhty proteins though !

Weight Watchers tortilas x 2 = 6
Turky Tikka Chunks = 23
Chicken tikka chunks = 27
Ham = 11
Cheese = 6

Then my Turky roast came to 45

and 3 was used on a cereal bar

TERRIBLE ME but my Calories Fat and Carbs was still well under with

50 calories remaining 52 carbs, and 15 on Fat

IM sure one day wont hurt, but why do I feel Guilty :o(

Cat x

Replies

• skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    I actually went in and changed my protein number. I cannot stay under that and this site sets it pretty low.
  • skygoddess86
    I actually went in and changed my protein number. I cannot stay under that and this site sets it pretty low.
  • skygoddess86
  • skygoddess86
    sorry about the triplicate :bigsmile:
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Don't worry--I always go over on protein (and I have my protein level at 25% which is higher than the "preset" that MFP provides)... I find if I don't get enough protein I end up eating and eating and eating because I have nothing to suppress my appetite. I figure as long as my calories are under and the protein I consume is good quality and not full of fats, it's not such a big deal.
  • AmandaB4588
    AmandaB4588 Posts: 655
    My protein is set at 30% so don't worry about it!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    The recommended daily allowance for Protein, according to medical peeps is roughly 0.36g of protein for every 1lb that you weigh. I just googled it and a medical site was discussing protein.
  • Jb27
    Jb27 Posts: 71 Member
    I almost always go over on protein, its not a bad thing if you are working out and i have lost weight just fine, when i hit a stall the first thing i up is my protien intake and it always gets me going again, dont be too hard on yourself :)
  • mitze90
    mitze90 Posts: 19 Member
    The recommended daily allowance for Protein, according to medical peeps is roughly 0.36g of protein for every 1lb that you weigh. I just googled it and a medical site was discussing protein.

Even having 1g per 1lb of your weight is not a bad thing, protein is burnt quickly in the body and is used to rebuild muscles, so if your doing a lot of exercising plenty of protein is a good thing as its saves your body burning muscles (im sure someone can give a more in depth and scientific explanation).
  • kt2130
    kt2130 Posts: 4
    My protein is set to 35%. More protein is good especially if you are exercising. It keeps you full and you need it to burn fat.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Protein is good! It does help suppress appetite & gives you more energy for a longer duration. I couldn't keep under my protein count even when I tried!
  • LotusF1ower
    My protein is set to 35%. More protein is good especially if you are exercising. It keeps you full and you need it to burn fat.

How do you set it to percentages?
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    I totally agree, protein can be so annoying! I find that I struggle with that more than other things sometimes, because everything has protein in it, and it is added to everything because it is seen as a good thing so they can advertise how much protein it has! Ugh!

I hate that if I have chicken or meat for dinner one night, that pretty much kills my protein for the day.

I hear people saying that MFP protein is low, but then I've heard from other people that you really are only supposed to eat meat twice a week... I know you can get protein in other things but this confuses me.
  • LastFighter
    LastFighter Posts: 175 Member
    the site has a very low protein limit. When I used to lift weights it was 1g of protein for every lb you weighed and if you wanted to gain muscle mass it was 1.5-2x your weight. That would be bad for me in my present shape but I think Ive only had 1 day on here where I was below my allowance and it was a cheat day. I think its better to go over with protein than fats or carbs.
  • david1956
    david1956 Posts: 190 Member

Go into MyHome -> Goals -> Change Goals button -> Custom option button and it will be obvious from there.

And if you're wondering about the gms/% correlation, 1 gm fat = 9 calories, 1 gm carbs = 4 calories, 1 gm protein = 4 calories.

So say someone had a 2000 cal a day requirement, 20 % to be fat (400 cal), that is 400 / 9 = approx 44 gm of fat. Etc etc.
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Protein will never hurt you. The more you have, the better your muscles will heal from exercise. In the end it is just the low cal way of getting food.

Carbs and Protein = 4 cal per gram
    Fat = 9 cal per gram
    Alcohol = 7 cal per gram

Carbs can load up fast, especially when sugar is involved. Protein means you are getting a more fulfilling meal that will stick with you longer. Remember that humans are omnivores with a predator streak and we are built to process protein very well.
  • LotusF1ower
    Protein will never hurt you. The more you have, the better your muscles will heal from exercise. In the end it is just the low cal way of getting food.

Carbs and Protein = 4 cal per gram
    Fat = 9 cal per gram
    Alcohol = 7 cal per gram

Carbs can load up fast, especially when sugar is involved. Protein means you are getting a more fulfilling meal that will stick with you longer. Remember that humans are omnivores with a predator streak and we are built to process protein very well.

Too much protein and by that I mean loads and loads can cause an overload on the kidneys as they try to flush out the toxic ketones. I gues that would also include extra strain on the heart and if the person's heart were not strong enough.... well best not think about that :frown:
  • leix
    leix Posts: 176
    Im always over my protein now, but thats because i went onto high protein diet & love it :D
  • LotusF1ower

Go into MyHome -> Goals -> Change Goals button -> Custom option button and it will be obvious from there.

And if you're wondering about the gms/% correlation, 1 gm fat = 9 calories, 1 gm carbs = 4 calories, 1 gm protein = 4 calories.

So say someone had a 2000 cal a day requirement, 20 % to be fat (400 cal), that is 400 / 9 = approx 44 gm of fat. Etc etc.

Ahh thanks for that! :happy:
This discussion has been closed.