Freaked Out About My Body Shrinking....

Options
Hi all,

I've been logging for the past 3 months and have lost a good chunk of weight, about 20 lbs. I've been really excited about getting to a healthy weight, but have discovered something a little bit disturbing.

The other week, I looked in the mirror and noticed that I'd gotten smaller. However, rather than being excited about it (after all, I am trying to lose weight) it freaked me out. Like, really freaked me out. It scared me that I'd changed and hadn't even noticed it.

So, I took a diet break for a few weeks. And that worked. After a week or two, I was okay and could look in the mirror again without feeling creeped out. Now, I'm back to trying to lose again and yesterday I noticed that I'm starting to avoid looking in the mirror because I don't want to freak myself out.

I have a... complicated history with food and used to be considered malnourished, to the point that I was hospitalized. I guess what I'm worried about is, could this be because of my past relationship with my weight or is it something that everyone goes through? It seems like a psychological block since no one else has noticed that I look different, but it's a pretty tough row to hoe, as they say.

As always, advice is appreciated. Thanks, in advance.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I freaked out about how skinny my face looked. It looked like a skull wrapped in skin. I got used to it, but for a while I hated looking in the mirror or seeing pictures.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    You do get familiar with the new you after the passage of a not too long time.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Give yourself time...it really does take a while for your mind to catch up with your body.

I lost about 80 pounds before I could start to perceive myself as smaller at all.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I've lost 42lb so far and do sometimes get shocked by my appearance. Being able to see my collar bones and ribs, feeling my hip bones. It doesn't help that I'm still wearing baggy clothes (until I go on a massive shopping trip after the Christmas binge) which makes me look like an ill person that's lost a lot of weight quickly. I remember how I wouldn't always notice the weight I'd put on when I got bigger until all of a sudden, so it makes sense that the same would happen when you lose weight too.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... how well do you generally respond to change? I'm thinking that this is a big change in your appearance, and you are having difficulty with this. I'm thinking it's also ambivalent, more than all negative. Something within you does not want to change and that's worth exploring.

If you are hinting that you have a "it's complicated" relationship with food (and I'm assuming body image), I think that there is some baggage here too.

You also mentioned that no one has noticed the 20 lb loss...that strikes me as interesting. My guess is the weight loss may be very noticeable to you, but not so much to others. (Much the way a person will fret over how a new 'dramatic' change in a haircut is received, but then no one around you takes much notice). I think it may be quite possible people have noticed, but just haven't said anything. (Unfortunately, not everyone compliments people as they should. Pity.)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I would have thought seeing the change in your appearance would have been a positive feeling for you. It was for me and I'm sure the majority of us.

Are you close to your goal weight ?
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the support. I'm glad I'm not the only one who was surprised!

@kenyonhaff I usually respond pretty neutrally to change, and I'm happily putting in the work to change, it just was odd how vehemently I felt when I saw a smaller me in the mirror. I figure that some baggage I haven't found/dealt with is probably in play, but I wanted to see if I was the only one with this reaction and if not, how they deal with it. It's going to be a very long journey if I have to maintain for 3 weeks after every month of weight loss!

As for other people not noticing, I'm guessing that that's because I wear baggy clothes normally and they don't notice that my clothes are getting baggier. I've had a few people remark on how healthy my food choices and stuff are though, or be shocked when they see me eat a piece of candy or sweet coffee.

@RunRutheeRun Nope. I'm currently 244 lbs. My goal is 150, though I'd mainly just like to get below 200 again.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I've been a serial dieter my entire life and this has always been a struggle for me. I've always been overweight, so that's what's familiar. That's what's comfortable.... That's me. Or it was.... I've kept 45lbs off for a year now. It's taken me about that long to start getting used to how I look now. What felt so alien is slowly starting to become my new normal. I think this is very common.

Sounds like you're doing great so keep it up!
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    100% disclosure here. When I lose more than a pound in a week...say, a pound and a half...I become terrified, I feel like pieces of myself are "falling away" and I overeat in terror and slow it down.
  • knelson095
    knelson095 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I remember a few months back I reached to open the medicine cabinet and saw a skinny(ish) arm in the mirror as I went for the knob and it freaked me out because it didn't look like my arm. My family catches me staring at myself in anything reflective a lot because I catch my reflection and I have to stop and look because I am still trying to reconcile what I see there with what I perceive myself to be. And don't even get me started on how strangers see me now. I'm oblivious to flirting, it still doesn't even occur to me that men (or women) might see me as attractive. It is not until much later as I'm thinking back on it that it dawns on me, which has made for some retroactively awkward conversations. Lol.

I had no idea when I started this that I would have to worry so much about where my head was at. Drastic weightloss can mess with your identity and as much as we would all like to think otherwise, how we look has a huge impact on how we feel and interact with others. I can't speak for everyone, of course, but for me this has been true. Being freaked out is normal, in my opinion, but since you have had such a negative reaction I worry that it could cause you to give up on being healthier. Maybe you could talk to a professional? It might help you sort out your feelings.