Getting fed up with clean eating?

Options

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    dave_in_ni wrote: »
    I started my weigh loss journey in December 2015. Since then I've ate clean 90% of the time and been rewarded with a 60 lb weight loss.

I don't know if others are like this but I can eat pretty much anything whether I like it or not and well most of what I eat I'm not exactly fussed on and the novelty has really started to wear off. I eat chicken breast and brown rice and veg 4/5 nights per week because it's cheap and easily cooked after a days work, this past few days now I've either skipped dinner and ate chocolate as sick of eating it or I've ate the kids
    leftovers, yesterday's dinner was a 3 musketeers bar for example.

As I say I've ate the same things daily for almost a year, chicken, rice, veg, eggs, turkey, sweet potatoes and am really sick of looking at them all.

Anyone experienced this or any advice?

That's beyond just "clean" eating...that's *kitten* boring as *kitten*. I eat what most would consider a relatively "clean" diet in that I eat a lot of whole foods and meals prepared from scratch, whole ingredients...that doesn't mean it has to be boring as *kitten*...

Here's some of the examples of what I consider to be delicious "clean" eating...These are some of my most frequently eaten foods...

Coq Au Vin
    5622c019083f608a4169d60fcc6aaaa2.jpg

Braised Chicken Thighs with Mushrooms and Polenta
    dsc_0089.jpg?w=620&h=932

Irish Chicken with Cabbage and Potatoes
    chicken-potatoes-cabbage-3f-900x900.jpg

Curried Lentils and Potatoes with Cumin Roasted Cauliflower
    lentil-and-potato-curry-recipe-1.jpg

Creamy French Lentils and Mushrooms
    863212ae05ae84b0980ea278b9bbe5a6.jpg

Potato Gnocchi with Mushrooms and Feta
    gnocchi-with-mushrooms-and-feta-11.jpg

Southwest Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
    e9c62b0e933e586768abbca163f894de.jpg

And I could go on and on...you're not eating "clean"...you're eating boring as *kitten*...

I just have to say, this post made me hungry, especially the French lentils and mushrooms!

I'm in for the gnocchi and braised thighs. (Ooh matron!).
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My daily food was neither "clean" nor various and I got tired of the repetitiveness of it. I've recently added more variety of stuff to my daily food and it's really not been hard to make the calories fit my daily goals. This especially so since I don't care so much to hit my macro goals daily. I pay attention to my macros, but if protein is low one day I remember to get it high the next.
  • Siran12001
    Siran12001 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I've been lifting weights for a year now and it's all about macros. I eat chicken most nights as it's extremely high in protein and lean, It's not easy getting that with meat. At weekends I let myself go a bit it's just during the week I dread. I need 160g of protein per day which as I say isn't easy hit.

If I look at your diary you're either not tracking well or you are in fact quite a bit under your calorie goal every day. Why does it have to be lean? Fat won't hurt you.

Mix yourself a smoothie with some cottage cheese, yoghurt and the protein powder your taking. Put some fruits in for the flavor and you have over 40g of protein.

Take some protein rich side dishes like beans, lentils, quinoa.

Mix your meat up with turkey, pork and beef. Eat some sardines, tuna, halibut, eggs. If you only look at your meat as your source for protein it is no wonder you're struggling.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I started my weigh loss journey in December 2015. Since then I've ate clean 90% of the time and been rewarded with a 60 lb weight loss.

I don't know if others are like this but I can eat pretty much anything whether I like it or not and well most of what I eat I'm not exactly fussed on and the novelty has really started to wear off. I eat chicken breast and brown rice and veg 4/5 nights per week because it's cheap and easily cooked after a days work, this past few days now I've either skipped dinner and ate chocolate as sick of eating it or I've ate the kids

As I say I've ate the same things daily for almost a year, chicken, rice, veg, eggs, turkey, sweet potatoes and am really sick of looking at them all.

That's beyond just "clean" eating...that's *kitten* boring as *kitten*. I eat what most would consider a relatively "clean" diet in that I eat a lot of whole foods and meals prepared from scratch, whole ingredients...that doesn't mean it has to be boring as *kitten*...

Here's some of the examples of what I consider to be delicious "clean" eating...These are some of my most frequently eaten foods...

Coq Au Vin

dsc_0089.jpg?w=620&h=932

And I could go on and on...you're not eating "clean"...you're eating boring as *kitten*...

I just have to say, this post made me hungry, especially the French lentils and mushrooms!

I just made them last night...perfect for a cold winter night...looking forward to my leftovers tomorrow for lunch.

Coq Au Vin is one of my favorite things on the planet...I just have to be a little careful...out of all of those, it's the most calorie dense for sure with all of the wine...but oh so good. I do it about once per month this time of year.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options

Coq Au Vin

dsc_0089.jpg?w=620&h=932

I'm in for the gnocchi and braised thighs. (Ooh matron!).

Ooh, how did I miss that one earlier? I'm all in for that one, too! Actually, who am I kidding.. I would eat just about everything pictured!
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options

Coq Au Vin

dsc_0089.jpg?w=620&h=932

I just made them last night...perfect for a cold winter night...looking forward to my leftovers tomorrow for lunch.

Coq Au Vin is one of my favorite things on the planet...I just have to be a little careful...out of all of those, it's the most calorie dense for sure with all of the wine...but oh so good. I do it about once per month this time of year.

I may have to do something similar this weekend, as the winter suggestions couldn't have come at a better time. It was in the 60s here today (Indiana), but it's supposed to be pretty cold by the weekend. Perfect comfort food weather!
    I've personally never had Coq Au Vin, but anything made with wine sauces are generally a win for me.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

Coq Au Vin

dsc_0089.jpg?w=620&h=932

I may have to do something similar this weekend, as the winter suggestions couldn't have come at a better time. It was in the 60s here today (Indiana), but it's supposed to be pretty cold by the weekend. Perfect comfort food weather!
    I've personally never had Coq Au Vin, but anything made with wine sauces are generally a win for me.

I work in celsius but it's currently 28 here in your money. Very cold for London in November!
  • lilyrunsla
    lilyrunsla Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try tossing your vegies (broc, brussel sprouts, etc.) in melted Ghee, use Redmond's Real Salt (salt with the minerals in it) and roast them. Baby red potatoes with goat cheese and a protein is good - Grass Fed hamburger, chicken, salmon. I also eat a ton or rice and vegies - trying to keep a clean GF DF diet. Sometimes it's hard!!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Time to transition into eating normal foods in moderation. Aim for maintenance at first and once you get comfortable with that you can work towards additional weightloss if its warranted.

You don't need to "eat clean" for weightloss and if you are getting sick of it then stop doing it with intent rather than wait and just fall off the wagon and resume old bad habits as a result.
  • dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Siran12001 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I've been lifting weights for a year now and it's all about macros. I eat chicken most nights as it's extremely high in protein and lean, It's not easy getting that with meat. At weekends I let myself go a bit it's just during the week I dread. I need 160g of protein per day which as I say isn't easy hit.

If I look at your diary you're either not tracking well or you are in fact quite a bit under your calorie goal every day. Why does it have to be lean? Fat won't hurt you.

Mix yourself a smoothie with some cottage cheese, yoghurt and the protein powder your taking. Put some fruits in for the flavor and you have over 40g of protein.

Take some protein rich side dishes like beans, lentils, quinoa.

Mix your meat up with turkey, pork and beef. Eat some sardines, tuna, halibut, eggs. If you only look at your meat as your source for protein it is no wonder you're struggling.

Yes tracking is a bit slack as past while mainly because I know now what contains what etc and I've been maintaining this past 6 months. But yes my calorie goal is 2300, I average around 1800 during week and probably 2300 at weekends.

I'm allergic to seafood so can't touch the stuff. It's lean because I've still 20% body fat, the less fat the better. But yes I need to broaden my horizons so to speak.

• Siran12001
    Options
    Yes tracking is a bit slack as past while mainly because I know now what contains what etc and I've been maintaining this past 6 months. But yes my calorie goal is 2300, I average around 1800 during week and probably 2300 at weekends.

Why do you eat 500 calories under you goal during the week? If you were over your goal on the weekends and saving up, I'd get it. But you aren't. You have 500 more calories to eat stuff with. That gives you quite some variety.
    I'm allergic to seafood so can't touch the stuff. It's lean because I've still 20% body fat, the less fat the better. But yes I need to broaden my horizons so to speak.

Ok, no seafood. But you do realize that the fat content of your food has nothing to do with your body fat, don't you? Fat is just another macro that your body uses. It breaks it down and uses it to fuel itself. Only if you eat over your maintenance it does get stored as fat on your body.

As long as you don't go over your calories, you can eat as much fat as you want. Most people cut it out because they have to work with 1200-1500 calories a day and want to eat something with more volume. You do have almost twice that.

• dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options

Why do you eat 500 calories under you goal during the week? If you were over your goal on the weekends and saving up, I'd get it. But you aren't. You have 500 more calories to eat stuff with. That gives you quite some variety.

Ok, no seafood. But you do realize that the fat content of your food has nothing to do with your body fat, don't you? Fat is just another macro that your body uses. It breaks it down and uses it to fuel itself. Only if you eat over your maintenance it does get stored as fat on your body.

As long as you don't go over your calories, you can eat as much fat as you want. Most people cut it out because they have to work with 1200-1500 calories a day and want to eat something with more volume. You do have almost twice that.
    I eat under as scared of gaining weight again. The big deficit means I can eat really whatever I want at weekends if I want and not have to worry I guess.
  • Siran12001
    Options
    If you eat those 500 calories per day during the week, you can eat (in moderation) whatever you want during the week and you won't need that big deficit for the weekend because your cravings are already fullfilled.

The more you restrict yourself the more difficult it becomes to stustain longtime and the higher the risk of uncontrolled binging at the weekend.

You are going to eat (more or less) this way for the rest of your life, if you don't want to gain again. Is your current diet something you want to continue that long?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

I eat under as scared of gaining weight again. The big deficit means I can eat really whatever I want at weekends if I want and not have to worry I guess.

I understand your fear, but you are seeing that this cannot go on. How about trying an every other day thing--on the first day eat your "safe" meal and the next day try something healthy, but new. Alternate. There's lean pork and beef out there too, you know. Research a little on other proteins. Try this for a month and see how it goes.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Coq Au Vin

dsc_0089.jpg?w=620&h=932

Your lovely photos inspired me--today lentils in tomato sauce (simmering right now--mmm) which I'll probably add to pasta for lunch for the family. Yesterday, it was chickpeas with pasta. Thanks!
  • isabellapanzica9387
    Options
    One food that you can try is sushi. All you need is seaweed, rice and whatever you want in it. Last week I made avacodo rolls (only put avacodo in them) and it was amazing. It was also really quick and fun to make (20min for rice, 10min to put together and cut up).