Going vegan

Hi I'm going to try going vegan for weight loss and better skin
Any tips or recipe meal suggestions gratefully received

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    You'll still need to maintain a calorie deficit to lose weight no matter what way of eating you adhere to.

Since you're on MFP, try logging everything you eat for a couple of weeks, and see what things you like that are high in calories before placing any restrictions on yourself.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Hi I'm going to try going vegan for weight loss and better skin
    Any tips or recipe meal suggestions gratefully received

I'm not vegan but used to live in vegetarian yoga communities and had lots of vegan friends. They made legumes the backbone of their diets. They all were vegan for ethical reasons, which makes adherence easier.

Here are 1,166 vegan recipes: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/search/ ?f[0]=field_special_diet:158786

Also try your library system for cookbooks.
  • Cocoa_Jean
    Cocoa_Jean Posts: 35 Member
    The biggest challenge you will have as a vegan? It is not finding yummy food because once you get in the kitchen (because you MUST cook IMO), it is battling against everyone who will try to derail you, tempt you and frown upon what you are doing. The community response and cultural norms are difficult to break for many.

To respond to the earlier fake meat comments. Use them in emergencies (you cannot be out in the world without your snacks), and when nostalgia hits. Your first 60 days may or may not be an emotional rollercoaster ( I had to go to a lunch meeting and explain why I couldn't even eat the bread). The fake meats CAN be calorie dense, but I am already down 25 lbs in 3 months, worked out... four times? And I still drink... and do not really have to track. Naturally you may find yourself consuming less than you had before. I got so full off 5 pieces of homemade broccoli tempura - and went to smack to sleep.
  • Cocoa_Jean
    Cocoa_Jean Posts: 35 Member
    edited November 2016
    ALSO, if one of your goals is clear skin... my skin went through HELL... I mean literal hell... BUT from some of the youtube videos I binged on this is natural, and breakouts could last up to six months since thats how long it takes your body to purge the animal proteins. SO be patient with yourself and the process, vegan skin has this amazing glow.. and now that I am past some major detoxes... I see it around the edges of my face. My friend cant stop "touching" my skin because it is so soft...
  • accebx
    accebx Posts: 5 Member
    chunkytfg wrote: »
    Vegan purely to lose weight?

Eating vegan is going to be hard enough as it is without the added hassle of having to calorie count.

I'm not vegan but my GF is gluten and Dairy intolerant so we do eat a surprising amount of vegan food. Last nights dinner was a 'meat' substitute thing potato and veg all for about the same calories as if we had eaten a bit of chicken.

Dont think No meat and dairy equals low calorie! Sometimes it can actually mean really high when you start using loads of nuts and other things to act as a meat alternative.

Being vegan isn't hard at all :)
  • accebx
    accebx Posts: 5 Member
    If you go vegan and eat lots of whole foods and less processed junk, you should lose weight :)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Don't eat meat.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    accebx wrote: »
    If you go vegan and eat lots of whole foods and less processed junk, you should lose weight :)

Only if going vegan and eating lots of whole foods and less "processed junk" results in a calorie deficit. It's possible for vegans to gain weight, even if they're eating whole foods. It's possible for vegans to maintain weight, even if they're eating whole foods.

Vegans who eat lots of whole foods lose weight the same way that anyone does -- through a calorie deficit.
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    I'm vegan, and I hate to discourage anyone from going vegan...but...being vegan does not necessarily weight loss. I'll give you the same advice I give anyone else considering a vegan diet, read the book Vegan 4 Life by Messina and Norris. Both are Registered Dietitians and long-time vegans. The book provides information you will need to stay healthy on a vegan diet. Also, the both have blogs/websites that are helpful, although not a substitute for the book.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Cat3141 wrote: »
    I'm vegan, and I hate to discourage anyone from going vegan...but...being vegan does not necessarily weight loss. I'll give you the same advice I give anyone else considering a vegan diet, read the book Vegan 4 Life by Messina and Norris. Both are Registered Dietitians and long-time vegans. The book provides information you will need to stay healthy on a vegan diet. Also, the both have blogs/websites that are helpful, although not a substitute for the book.

That book is a great resource.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,110 Member
    In my opinion you shouldn't go vegan for weight loss or for better skin. People go vegan for ethical reasons. It is not necessary to go vegan to lose weight, and not all vegans are thin. If you want to lose weight then set your calorie goal at a reasonable deficit and eat what you want that fits. If that is a vegan lifestyle then that is great, but don't think that going vegan is going to magically help you lose weight and get clear skin.
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    edited December 2016
    Agreed with all above posters--don't just go vegan for weight loss. I'm about 80% vegan, 100% vegetarian, and it's because of a combination of reasons such as ethics, the environment, my personal dislike of meat, and health. Notice I said health, not weight loss. A vegan lifestyle is absolutely a healthy choice but it doesn't mean you'll lose weight. I definitely didn't when I started incorporating more vegan foods in my lifestyle. I felt happier and more energized, but I didn't lose any weight. In fact, I think I gained some because there are awesome vegan donuts at the cafe down the street :)

I've said this on multiple threads, there's literally 0 benefit to a healthy lifestyle if you are only focused on calories and weight loss, because low calories =/= health. People often think that a dairy-free meat-free lifestyle has a lot fewer calories, which is true, but only if you choose vegan foods that nourish and energize. Focus on nutrition and nourishment and the pounds should drop off naturally.