Switching from Weight Watchers

Options
2»

Replies

• brendas12
    brendas12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was on weight watchers and LOVE the smart points plan. I lost 20 lbs with it without ever being hungry since it really pushes you to make healthy choices and I've kept that 20 lbs off. My issue is paying $20 a month for it. So I'm trying to use what I learned with smart Points (high protein & fiber choices less sugar and sodium) & count calories here. In the end they are essentially the same thing - eating less & moving more, just figure mfp is free :)
  • jaedwa1
    jaedwa1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    bfanny wrote: »
    jaedwa1 wrote: »
    I was simultaneously logging my food on MFP and WW for a month for comparison purposes. When I'd hit my max WW points, MFP had me eating between 800-900 calories. It's no wonder I was so hungry. I understand WW is pushing for people to choose fruits and vegetables, which in of itself, isn't bad, but when a measured bowl of cereal takes up half the points for the day, the system is obviously flawed.

I wonder why? 30 sp (minimum) for me equals 1,500 cals not even counting my WP which I enjoy ;)

I guess WW did not like my overall choices. I'd measure my cereal (106g which equals 2 servings) which came to 400 calories and then add 2% milk, usually between 5-7 ounces. The calorie count on MFP for those weights came to 460-520. WW valued it as 13 points. For lunch, I made a salad, again where everything was measured, that MFP calculated at 240 calories and WW valued at 8 points. I'd eat the salad with 2 roasted chicken legs (again weighed) that MFP calculated 253 calories (combined) and WW assigned 10 points. So WW put me at 31 points after only breakfast and lunch. (I saved my WP for my weekly social outings).

I think WW didn't like the carbs/sugar in my cereal, the couscous in my salad, or my choice of dark meat chicken, hence the large point assignments. I get I could make different choices to stay in WW point range and be able to eat more on the program...but it made me sad to think I'd have to give up cereal...I love cereal. :) After I did the MFP/WW comparison and saw I could keep cereal and stay in a calorie deficit, so I waved bye-bye to WW.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I was simultaneously logging my food on MFP and WW for a month for comparison purposes. When I'd hit my max WW points, MFP had me eating between 800-900 calories. It's no wonder I was so hungry. I understand WW is pushing for people to choose fruits and vegetables, which in of itself, isn't bad, but when a measured bowl of cereal takes up half the points for the day, the system is obviously flawed.

I wonder why? 30 sp (minimum) for me equals 1,500 cals not even counting my WP which I enjoy ;)

I guess WW did not like my overall choices. I'd measure my cereal (106g which equals 2 servings) which came to 400 calories and then add 2% milk, usually between 5-7 ounces. The calorie count on MFP for those weights came to 460-520. WW valued it as 13 points. For lunch, I made a salad, again where everything was measured, that MFP calculated at 240 calories and WW valued at 8 points. I'd eat the salad with 2 roasted chicken legs (again weighed) that MFP calculated 253 calories (combined) and WW assigned 10 points. So WW put me at 31 points after only breakfast and lunch. (I saved my WP for my weekly social outings).

I think WW didn't like the carbs/sugar in my cereal, the couscous in my salad, or my choice of dark meat chicken, hence the large point assignments. I get I could make different choices to stay in WW point range and be able to eat more on the program...but it made me sad to think I'd have to give up cereal...I love cereal. :) After I did the MFP/WW comparison and saw I could keep cereal and stay in a calorie deficit, so I waved bye-bye to WW.

WW also puts a points penalty on fat. Dark meat chicken has more fat than chicken breast, so a higher points value. Some days my 30 pts ended up closer to 2000 calories and at 5' 3" and 145 that's way beyond maintenance calories. I only lost weight at 27 pts. That and I was getting tired of repetitive, boring food choices and difficult managing social situations with only 28 weekly points extra.