Alternative to energy gels and beans during long runs?

Options
msstatz
msstatz Posts: 163 Member
Do any of you use an alternative snack instead of energy gels or beans during a long run? I've read if people using fruit snacks, raisins, cliff bars, cranberries, etc. Do any of you consume any of these instead of beans or gels?

Replies

• TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I love the beans! I only use them for runs longer then 7 miles though. Anything shorter then that can be sustained with water and maybe a little gatorade. (For me at least.)
  • msstatz
    Options
    I love the beans! I only use them for runs longer then 7 miles though. Anything shorter then that can be sustained with water and maybe a little gatorade. (For me at least.)
    Thanks for responding! Dumb question- where do you carry them during a run? Do you wear one of those belts?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    well, what qualifies as a "long run" for you? in my opinion, unless you are running for more then an hour or over 8 miles, you don't need to refuel during the run as long as you have a pretty well balanced diet, and have a snack 30-60 minutes before hand.

i see way too many people using them on 5ks and such.
  • msstatz
    Options
    For me a long run would be any run over 15 miles.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I used to use Jolly Ranchers or gummi bears (long before sports gels and blocks were readily available). Currently I use Welch's fruit chews because they come in convenient little packages at Costco. I am not a big fan of the blocks and gels because they irritate my stomach. The beans are ok, but for me they don't work any better than regular old fruit chews, which are a fraction of the cost. I have heard of people making their own with honey and molasses. Basically, anything with sugar will help.

ETA, I carry a hand held water bottle with a pouch on my long runs. I have also just shoved them in the tiny pocket that is sewn into the waist of most of my running shorts.
  • msstatz
    Options
    I used to use Jolly Ranchers or gummi bears (long before sports gels and blocks were readily available). Currently I use Welch's fruit chews because they come in convenient little packages at Costco. I am not a big fan of the blocks and gels because they irritate my stomach. The beans are ok, but for me they don't work any better than regular old fruit chews, which are a fraction of the cost. I have heard of people making their own with honey and molasses. Basically, anything with sugar will help.

I read specifically about people using Welch's fruit snacks. I might try that. When do you eat them and how many?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    For me a long run would be any run over 15 miles.

dang

as far as carrying them, that is your preference. you can pick up a handheld water bottle, that has a strap for your hand. they tend to come with pouches for a couple of gels. or you could get a hydration belt that has pockets. it's your call.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I carry one to two packs on my runs over 10 miles. I usually eat three or four at a time whenever I feel like I need them. Sometimes I eat a whole pack during my run, sometimes I don't eat any. Sorry if that isn't much help. I'm not a very routine kind of person.
  • antonjanik
    antonjanik Posts: 12
    Options
    I eat the caffeinated beans before races of any type, or before training runs of 7 miles or more. It's only 100 calories, and my body works well with them. I eat them about 30-45 minutes before the run. During a run? Well, I haven't had too much success with beans. They are so sweet and dense that they take a lot of water to wash down and digest, and I don't like to carry that much water. I have really liked the goos, like the almond butter honey (stinger, I think?) and the peanut butter one made by Gu. Those are easier to digest with just a cup of race water.

In any event, it is a lot cheaper to carry nuts and dried cranberries with you. You will want to put it into a ziploc and put it where you put your key--butt zipper pocket in shorts, bra, whatever. If you do have one of those water running belts or camelbacks, you can put it there. Experiment with a different item each time you run and you will quickly know what you like to use.

I also agree with the poster above; you'll never digest a treat if you take it during a 5k. The race is just too short for that. Use them on anything over a 10k.

Run with a smile. A.