knee supports; open/closed patella

Options
Lately when I run or do the elliptical, my right knee starts to hurt a few minutes in and I have to stop early. It's just little twinges with every stride, but it's enough to make me stop for fear of making something worse.

I was thinking maybe a knee brace/neoprene support thing might help. I can't figure out the difference between the ones with a hole and the solid ones.

Anyone know which kind would be better for my minor but annoying problem? =]

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Rather than applying a band aid that may only mask symptoms check out some of the hip & glute exercises on Runners World....

http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/glute-strength

it may sound counter-intuitive but glute & hip weakness often manifests itself as knee pain.

Hope this helps!
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I'll look into it; I think I know why my knee is weird all of a sudden though. I got out of a cast for a broken foot at the end of May and have only recently been cleared to work out again; I think I'm favoring the break by walking/running on the outside of my foot which changes my gait.

Also walking in the cast killed my knee so maybe it's residual. I don't know but breaking my foot was the worst thing that has ever happened to me as far as unending annoying consequences :/
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    the type that's just a little band that goes under the knee is best. Still, strength/mobility is the way to go.