How many reps

Options

Replies

• OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    lin7604 wrote: »
    Ok I can see some of that, though I've done programs in the past where squats and deadlifts were at the end.

Imo I think exercise if some point is better then none at all. I'm just trying to stay active for health! That's it. Not looking for specific goals. Body composition, body fat percentage etc. just to be healthier! I find a lot of these program have exercises like curtesy lunges and fancy moves like that and I can't do them so I feel like I'm always subbing exercises snd changing things up anyway. So why not make one that suites my body?

You "can" make your own. Just use the basic guidelines so you are getting a training effect.

I have been doing my own thing for a year and a half and have increased my fitness level from extremely poor to fair, and have lost 55 lbs. so far. I could barely walk a mile at first, and now I can run 5 miles.

You just have to understand what you need to do, and develop your own way of doing it.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Ok I can see some of that, though I've done programs in the past where squats and deadlifts were at the end.

Imo I think exercise if some point is better then none at all. I'm just trying to stay active for health! That's it. Not looking for specific goals. Body composition, body fat percentage etc. just to be healthier! I find a lot of these program have exercises like curtesy lunges and fancy moves like that and I can't do them so I feel like I'm always subbing exercises snd changing things up anyway. So why not make one that suites my body?

Sure, make modifications, but generally speaking, the closer one follows a good, pro-designed program, the better their results and the less likely they are to injure themselves. Not all programs out there are well-designed, and it appears you may have done some of them. :smile:

Here's a decent page on how to design your own program:
    www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-ultimate-weight-training-workout-routine/

Feel free to post your program and let the trainers here critique it. :+1:
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    do what ever keeps you motivated I do an ab/core routine at my house I had to put on a poster board to remember the different plank positions. I have never followed a routine that someone else wrote and am in freaking awesome shape. Could a generic program help someone new yes but don't treat it as the only way to workout..
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that! I felt after reading most of these responses" why did I bother posting". I was asking for help yet all I got imo was negotiable imput! All I know is I want to stay active and do basic lifting moves! I've done e a lot of programs that I feel I always modifying and feel in the end they were a waste of money because I have to change planned exercises in them all the time! So just do the ones I can do, be happy and move on! At least I'm exercising! I'm not doing no shows, no photo shoots or wanting a specific look! All I want is to be in better shape and be a bit stronger and yes if I lose a few lbs or inches! Great!
  • lin7604
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

Sure, make modifications, but generally speaking, the closer one follows a good, pro-designed program, the better their results and the less likely they are to injure themselves. Not all programs out there are well-designed, and it appears you may have done some of them. :smile:

thanks for the link, I'll check it out. See some of those programs may not of been designed right but u still get results!
  • lin7604
    Options

So just read through it and looked at the example and it's the same thing I had in mind! Yet everyone was saying no!

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

So just read through it and looked at the example and it's the same thing I had in mind! Yet everyone was saying no!

If you're actually hitting everything then go for it...most people who program their own routines (including actual professionals) *kitten* it up...they overtrain things they like to train and undertrain things they don't like so much.

Also keep in mind that even when following a solid program...and even if your is solid, you're going to eventually have to make adjustments as you advance. I made the mistake of thinking I was just following a solid program so all was well...program was solid, but as I advanced, my pecks and front delts started overwhelming my rear delts and back even though I worked those things...ultimately I ended up with an imbalance and my shoulders being pulled forward which resulted in a pinched nerve in the upper back/lower neck.

Basically, even though I was following a good program, I neglected the fact that those programs really only worked my back and rear delts at a beginner level and the chest and front delt work was outpacing it...it's been corrected now by a trainer, but just make sure you're re-evaluating from time to time...muscular imbalances suck, and they suck to fix.
  • lin7604
    Options
    Did you even look at the DB programs that Anvilhead posted for you early in the thread? For example, you keep worrying about costs. At least the first three are absolutely *free* (the last link just appeared to be selling a lot of crap so I just looked for a second) and will help you meet your goal of looking nice. And each of them answered specifically how many reps you should be doing for a given exercise. Naturally any program can be adapted to include your favorite lifts or edit out things that are uncomfortable. That's kind of a given. And regarding having them on paper, you can even print them out and post them on your fridge or stick them in your wallet to solve your concern about having to go to the internet (or better yet, spreadsheet them out and keep track of your progress).

I am baffled by all the cantankerousness and rudeness against some of the most seasoned lifters in the community, who are kindly only trying to help you, as they have helped many, many other people, while you're all over the program-designing offer from some random yahoo with three posts and no discernible credentials or long-term track record of solid advice, and who probably will never, ever return to this thread. Perhaps some introspection might be in order.
    I stated before about cost was I found all the programs I had purchased cost a lot and half the exercises I couldn't do so I ended up modifying a lot. So why spend all that money on a program to just have to change it! Right! That is why I figured creating a program that I can do would be best!
    I'd say some of the responses to me were rude and degrading! Just basically saying I know nothing and I should only follow something specific. I may not know as much as others but I do know what basic exercises are with lifting, I know what my body reacts to best and I know my limitations. I did get offended by some of the remarks just as much as you say I was rude to them. I was getting annoyed that I asked a simple question yet still never got a simple answer! Why does everything need to get so complicated on this forum!
    Yes some may of tried to give info and help me, I dont know any of you personally and not on the forum much so how do I know who is creditable and who's not! I don't have a clue when one gives advice knowing it's better then the next,
    I asked a simple specific question and yet got the round about for answers! I just needed A simple answer yes 8-10 is best and do 3 sets! etc that's it! then if one wanted to help me create a program I can do at home with dumbbells I would of been extremely happy! Not just critique! I know some only will follow a program and some don't and get great results! Again I'm only looking to be healthy! Not looking for a certain appearance! Just to move and exercise 5 days a week!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    You should probably just do P90X or something like that.
  • lin7604
    Options
    Too long. I get 30 min most days. Once or twice a week I may get 40 but it's not guarrenteed
  • lin7604
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Did you even look at the DB programs that Anvilhead posted for you early in the thread? For example, you keep worrying about costs. At least the first three are absolutely *free* (the last link just appeared to be selling a lot of crap so I just looked for a second) and will help you meet your goal of looking nice. And each of them answered specifically how many reps you should be doing for a given exercise. Naturally any program can be adapted to include your favorite lifts or edit out things that are uncomfortable. That's kind of a given. And regarding having them on paper, you can even print them out and post them on your fridge or stick them in your wallet to solve your concern about having to go to the internet (or better yet, spreadsheet them out and keep track of your progress).

I am baffled by all the cantankerousness and rudeness against some of the most seasoned lifters in the community, who are kindly only trying to help you, as they have helped many, many other people, while you're all over the program-designing offer from some random yahoo with three posts and no discernible credentials or long-term track record of solid advice, and who probably will never, ever return to this thread. Perhaps some introspection might be in order.
    I stated before about cost was I found all the programs I had purchased cost a lot and half the exercises I couldn't do so I ended up modifying a lot. So why spend all that money on a program to just have to change it! Right! That is why I figured creating a program that I can do would be best!
    I'd say some of the responses to me were rude and degrading! Just basically saying I know nothing and I should only follow something specific. I may not know as much as others but I do know what basic exercises are with lifting, I know what my body reacts to best and I know my limitations. I did get offended by some of the remarks just as much as you say I was rude to them. I was getting annoyed that I asked a simple question yet still never got a simple answer! Why does everything need to get so complicated on this forum!
    Yes some may of tried to give info and help me, I dont know any of you personally and not on the forum much so how do I know who is creditable and who's not! I don't have a clue when one gives advice knowing it's better then the next,
    I asked a simple specific question and yet got the round about for answers! I just needed A simple answer yes 8-10 is best and do 3 sets! etc that's it! then if one wanted to help me create a program I can do at home with dumbbells I would of been extremely happy! Not just critique! I know some only will follow a program and some don't and get great results! Again I'm only looking to be healthy! Not looking for a certain appearance! Just to move and exercise 5 days a week!

I think you're being overly sensitive and reading things into things that aren't there...for the most part, I think you received solid advice all around...

Nobody was calling you stupid or whatever...I know professionals who won't program there own stuff because they know they're going to "cheat" and do what they like doing and skip what they don't....it happens, and it happens far more with novice lifters...that's all anybody was trying to say.

As to "best" rep range, I think you got your answer there as well...there is no "best"...it's relative to your goals...different rep ranges train different things.

Maybe I was , read into things wrong but I just found it was negative . Since I don't have a specific goal, that is what makes choosing how many reps to do difficult.
    I understand what you are saying most will do exercises they enjoy better. To me when it comes to basic lifting moves I enjoy them all! It's when things get fancy and complicated that I hate! Then it plays a roll on my bad knees! So as long as I know I need to have exercises for lower ( squats, lunges, dead lifts and calves) upper ( bi curls, tri, back and chest) and core then I'm getting all areas in. I know myself you need it all for the entire package. I just can't do moves like in most programs that involve jumping with weights or things like curtesy lunges etc simple simple moves for me

• French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

I think you're being overly sensitive and reading things into things that aren't there...for the most part, I think you received solid advice all around...

Nobody was calling you stupid or whatever...I know professionals who won't program there own stuff because they know they're going to "cheat" and do what they like doing and skip what they don't....it happens, and it happens far more with novice lifters...that's all anybody was trying to say.

As to "best" rep range, I think you got your answer there as well...there is no "best"...it's relative to your goals...different rep ranges train different things.

Maybe I was , read into things wrong but I just found it was negative . Since I don't have a specific goal, that is what makes choosing how many reps to do difficult.
    I understand what you are saying most will do exercises they enjoy better. To me when it comes to basic lifting moves I enjoy them all! It's when things get fancy and complicated that I hate! Then it plays a roll on my bad knees! So as long as I know I need to have exercises for lower ( squats, lunges, dead lifts and calves) upper ( bi curls, tri, back and chest) and core then I'm getting all areas in. I know myself you need it all for the entire package. I just can't do moves like in most programs that involve jumping with weights or things like curtesy lunges etc simple simple moves for me

I can see that some of the answers might come across as a little sassy or brusque, and I can certainly understand being a little hurt because you just don't know the basics--everyone has to start somewhere. Sometimes the best advice isn't couched in the prettiest language. :)

You are right, reps ARE a complicated issue, and always a good debate item, with the science behind them always evolving. Reps are to lifting as the ABCs are to reading. Thus, people were recommending adapting one of the free programs so you can get your feet wet understanding the mechanics of reps before you go too far down the road on your own. You kind of have to develop a literacy with reps so you can see, oh this is telling me 1 rep max for [x] reason, and I'm not going to trust this site telling me to do 20 reps bicep curls with pink weight because [y]. I am still in "Cat in the Hat" territory with my understanding of reps, ha ha.

Speaking as someone who has been lifting for the past 10 months with your same goals of general health and fitting into my sexypants: If you haven't, please at least take a look at the M&S program--it has a lot of the exercises that you have listed as liking, doesn't seem to have much that is weird or fancy or annoying (I hate things like that too...I'm looking at you, Palloff Press!) and if it's missing anything that you like to do, it can always be added in, using their suggested reps as a good rule of thumb, and following the principles of:

- lifting weights heavy enough that it fits in the suggested range
    - doing it to 2-4 reps away from failure (my rule of thumb is when my form starts to fail),
    - increasing your weight when you can comfortably do the max number of reps for all 3 sets,
    - keep good notes on what you lift each session so you can continue to progress and don't stay with the pink weights too long (I'm still using purple 8-pounders for my lateral raises, LOL)
    - make sure you are getting enough protein, another great topic of debate, but the normally suggested range is .8 grams per lb of body weight or thereabouts the help you repair and build muscle while eating at a deficit.

You may already know much of that, but it always bears repeating. And as someone above suggested, feel free to bounce your plan by this group--more debate may ensue, but as I tell myself when my marketing ideas get ripped to shreds, "criticism is a gift!" :o
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Completely dependant on your goals
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Why are you so resistant to use an established plan? I'm just curious.

I think most want to be the most efficient in the gym. Pro written plans provide they. The best "bang for the buck" so to speak. Not sure why you are resistant to it.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Since I don't have a specific goal, that is what makes choosing how many reps to do difficult.

Since your goal is general fitness, you can do a broad range of reps. For example, first set = 14 reps, 2nd set = 8 reps, 3rd set = 5 reps (with heavier weight of course). Or do different reps on different days. Either way, just choose a challenging amount of weight and approach your limits - that's more important than the number of reps.

By the way, at first you said you were a beginner, hence you received appropriate advice for a beginner. Only later did you disclose that you have a lot of experience following many programs. :+1:
  • lin7604
    Options

I can see that some of the answers might come across as a little sassy or brusque, and I can certainly understand being a little hurt because you just don't know the basics--everyone has to start somewhere. Sometimes the best advice isn't couched in the prettiest language. :)

You are right, reps ARE a complicated issue, and always a good debate item, with the science behind them always evolving. Reps are to lifting as the ABCs are to reading. Thus, people were recommending adapting one of the free programs so you can get your feet wet understanding the mechanics of reps before you go too far down the road on your own. You kind of have to develop a literacy with reps so you can see, oh this is telling me 1 rep max for [x] reason, and I'm not going to trust this site telling me to do 20 reps bicep curls with pink weight because [y]. I am still in "Cat in the Hat" territory with my understanding of reps, ha ha.

Speaking as someone who has been lifting for the past 10 months with your same goals of general health and fitting into my sexypants: If you haven't, please at least take a look at the M&S program--it has a lot of the exercises that you have listed as liking, doesn't seem to have much that is weird or fancy or annoying (I hate things like that too...I'm looking at you, Palloff Press!) and if it's missing anything that you like to do, it can always be added in, using their suggested reps as a good rule of thumb, and following the principles of:

- lifting weights heavy enough that it fits in the suggested range
    - doing it to 2-4 reps away from failure (my rule of thumb is when my form starts to fail),
    - increasing your weight when you can comfortably do the max number of reps for all 3 sets,
    - keep good notes on what you lift each session so you can continue to progress and don't stay with the pink weights too long (I'm still using purple 8-pounders for my lateral raises, LOL)
    - make sure you are getting enough protein, another great topic of debate, but the normally suggested range is .8 grams per lb of body weight or thereabouts the help you repair and build muscle while eating at a deficit.

You may already know much of that, but it always bears repeating. And as someone above suggested, feel free to bounce your plan by this group--more debate may ensue, but as I tell myself when my marketing ideas get ripped to shreds, "criticism is a gift!" :o

Thank you so much! You hit it all on the nail!!! TnYs the kind of Info I was looking for!!!
  • lin7604
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Why are you so resistant to use an established plan? I'm just curious.

I think most want to be the most efficient in the gym. Pro written plans provide they. The best "bang for the buck" so to speak. Not sure why you are resistant to it.
    Well if you read through this thread you would know the answer to that already!
    So I will state it again ,i need a home dumbbell plan as I workout from home only. I only get 30 min nightly maybe 2 nights I can squeak in 40. I have very bad knees so I'm looking for simple basic exercises like a basic squat and lunge, no fancy complicated moves like curtesy lunges or jumping with weights etc. A lot of plans I have found have exercises I can't do when it comes to lower body. The. A few other plans I looked into only had 3 exercises listed. Only 2 different ones to rotate. Imo I think I would like to have more. But then I need to know which exercise would be good to ad on what day so it's balanced nicely. Since I haven't done a program like thAt on my own I am I sure really how long it would take.
  • lin7604
    Options
    Since I don't have a specific goal, that is what makes choosing how many reps to do difficult.

Since your goal is general fitness, you can do a broad range of reps. For example, first set = 14 reps, 2nd set = 8 reps, 3rd set = 5 reps (with heavier weight of course). Or do different reps on different days. Either way, just choose a challenging amount of weight and approach your limits - that's more important than the number of reps.

By the way, at first you said you were a beginner, hence you received appropriate advice for a beginner. Only later did you disclose that you have a lot of experience following many programs. :+1:
    Well I'm ready- beginner! Yes I have been doing exercise since 2012 and done a ton of beachbody programs and a ton that are not beachbody but I have stalled the last year in a half with life challenges! I'm just getting back into things and my knees are a lot worse then they were then, plus I'm 40 and pre menopause and hypothyroid which is posing as challenges losing anything! I only have maybe 10 lbs to lose if I wanted to but it's not necessary! It's more about wanting to feel better again And be able to lift items without being winded! So I'm trying to get back into a routine but certain programs I've started I can't do completely because of my knees and then I'm modifying and switching up exercises anyway. Like In hammer and chisel. So that why I wanted to create one for me and my needs