Quarter reps?

I keep seeing people doing quick little quarter reps at the gym.
Is there a reason for this?

Replies

• hansonmedical2
    hansonmedical2 Posts: 13 Member
    They're not performing the exercise correctly if that's what they're doing. No idea why people do that.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    99% of the time, it's nothing more than ego lifting.

However, there are benefits to shortened range of motion for specific lifts. I'd say just to not worry about the others and train.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    I can think of at least two possible reasons:

1) They're doing something stupid that some bro told them to do. IOW, they don't know what they're doing.

2) They're working on a specific lift, and are doing the partial reps to strengthen the lift through a weak/sticking point. IOW, they do know what they're doing.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »

1) They're doing something stupid that some bro told them to do. IOW, they don't know what they're doing.

2) They're working on a specific lift, and are doing the partial reps to strengthen the lift through a weak/sticking point. IOW, they do know what they're doing.

or 3) they have some kinda physical limitations or they are rehabbing something.

the majority of the time i see people doing less than full reps is because of your first reason, they dont know what they are doing. someone told them full reps are hard on the joints or not necessary or some other weird reason.
  • AnvilHead
    SonyaCele wrote: »

or 3) they have some kinda physical limitations or they are rehabbing something.

the majority of the time i see people doing less than full reps is because of your first reason, they dont know what they are doing. someone told them full reps are hard on the joints or not necessary or some other weird reason.

I saw two guys in the gym today doing some strange thing in one of the squat racks. It looked like a cross between the upper half of a Romanian deadlift and/or the lower half of a (kinda halfway) bent row. It wasn't a rack pull either. I looked over there a couple of times during my rest periods trying to figure it out, but can't for the life of me understand what they thought they were doing. I doubt my #2 or your #3 applied, so I have to guess it was #1. :)
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member

I saw two guys in the gym today doing some strange thing in one of the squat racks. It looked like a cross between the upper half of a Romanian deadlift and/or the lower half of a (kinda halfway) bent row. It wasn't a rack pull either. I looked over there a couple of times during my rest periods trying to figure it out, but can't for the life of me understand what they thought they were doing. I doubt my #2 or your #3 applied, so I have to guess it was #1. :)

so i do these exercises, they are sorta the upper half of a deadlift but not a rack pull. i let the bar fall just below my knees and then explode it back up to a locked deadlift positon, i'm not sure what its called. But my coach has me do it it in several sets of 20 and its a killer, i'm crying by the 20th rep. Maybe thats what they were doing? It might look like a halfrep, but its a glute killer. that could fall into category 2, if they were doing it right.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member

I want video. Because what I'm picturing is a barbell variant of a bent over shrug.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,919 Member
    It depends on what the person is trying to achieve. For example I train a kid who plays basketball and is trying to improve his leaping ability while keeping speed. I don't have him drop down to a ATG squat and jump because they don't do that during a game. So he hold dumbells (hands extended overhead) and does quarter squat jumps with speed and power.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member

Could it have been a pendlay row?

For the most part, I would have to say it's due to ego lifting and lack of knowledge. You see a lot of new people who are fresh into fitness watching the more experienced lifters pushing some serious weight. So first thing they think is o have to lift as heavy as possible all the time in order to get to their level.
  • AnvilHead
    so i do these exercises, they are sorta the upper half of a deadlift but not a rack pull. i let the bar fall just below my knees and then explode it back up to a locked deadlift positon, i'm not sure what its called. But my coach has me do it it in several sets of 20 and its a killer, i'm crying by the 20th rep. Maybe thats what they were doing? It might look like a halfrep, but its a glute killer. that could fall into category 2, if they were doing it right.
    That sounds at least somewhat close to what they were doing (minus the explosive part). But the movement was more in the lower back than the legs - more like a partial RDL than a rack pull/DL.

I want video. Because what I'm picturing is a barbell variant of a bent over shrug.
    Didn't look like a shrug, there was no shoulder/trap movement involved.

jessef593 wrote: »
    Could it have been a pendlay row?

For the most part, I would have to say it's due to ego lifting and lack of knowledge. You see a lot of new people who are fresh into fitness watching the more experienced lifters pushing some serious weight. So first thing they think is o have to lift as heavy as possible all the time in order to get to their level.
    Nah, definitely not a Pendlay row. They weren't bent over that far (not even 45 degrees) and the rowing movement was minimal, it was more lower back/posterior chain like a RDL, but with a supine grip. And they weren't lowering the bar to anywhere near the ground, it was coming to just below the knees at most.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    1.) none of your business

I stood up with a weight one time and didn't even squat. I'd challenge anyone to go ahead and judge me for not knowing what I'm doing.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member

Exactly. I sometimes do quarter reps at the end of a set w/isolation lifts-gives a good pump which isn't always about ego-it's actually useful.

• mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    It helps you get stronger.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    I agree that in most cases of the average gym go-er it could be just them performing the exercises without the full ROM. But there are many different exercises and many different ways to train, it's quite possible they are performing an exercise you've not heard of.

In my case i like to do half squats as a finisher on my leg day and i always get some crazy looks. Or crab walks to start with. These things are pretty easy to confuse with other movements if you've never seen them before.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    So many people commenting who have no idea what they're talking about.

Partial reps serve a purpose, you see it allot in power lifting also.

Here is a video that kind of explains partial reps, he has a few on the subject feel free to search the channel for more info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcbDUrsKLxo
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited November 2016

Here is a video that kind of explains partial reps, he has a few on the subject feel free to search the channel for more info.

Okay, so... Yes, what he is saying is factually correct if you have an issue with synergistic dominance. In these case, however, it is more beneficial to perform isolation exercises or partials to assist in muscle recruitment. This is exactly why i said I incorporate things like half squats which place extra time under tension on the glutes essentially forcing them to fire.

It's also good to activate the muscles before performing a compound lift as it recruits more muscle fibers to correct this issue.

Essentially what he's saying is true, and they certainly have their place, but the end game should not be getting good at performing partials, it should be to get good at performing the exercise through the full ROM while firing all the correct muscles at the right time.

Trying to shave off the first 10% or last 10% or performing nothing but partials should not be the long term goal. Pretty much they have their place as stated, but one shouldn't rely on them as a crutch. They should not be end-game.

Again though, just to reiterate... most people performing partials are not doing so consciously or as he says "using the tools at their disposal to achieve a specific goal".
  • _incogNEATo_

What comments are you referring to? I've seen one comment stating that quarter reps/partial reps aren't advised.

It still doesn't change the fact that an average gym will have people performing movements incorrectly more often than not as opposed to using partial reps to benefit specific muscle groups.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    1.) none of your business

I stood up with a weight one time and didn't even squat. I'd challenge anyone to go ahead and judge me for not knowing what I'm doing.

Pin squat, basically, from "regular" pin height? Yeah - good for getting used to heavier weights.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member

What comments are you referring to? I've seen one comment stating that quarter reps/partial reps aren't advised.

It still doesn't change the fact that an average gym will have people performing movements incorrectly more often than not as opposed to using partial reps to benefit specific muscle groups.

He must be reading a different thread and commented on the wrong one? That's all I can think of.

• _incogNEATo_
    Hornsby wrote: »

He must be reading a different thread and commented on the wrong one? That's all I can think of.

OR, may have thought that he'd be the only one to come in here and make any sense?