food groups

Options
along with keeping track of the nutrients (protein, carbs, fiber, sugar, fat) can I keep track of the different food groups (veggies, meats, dairy, grains, ect?)

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    There's no way to do that built into MyFitnessPal.

You could enter everything you use into My Foods (without sharing with the database) and do custom names so that you could look at your diary to see what groups you ate for each meal. Something like Food Group - Brand Name - Food. You would have to do the counting yourself rather than it being automatically tracked.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Even though "food groups" is a way of separating foods into groups of similar nutritional profiles, most foods provide a mix of different nutrients. MFP tracks nutrients, and trying to make MFP track food groups as well, would be "sidetracking". But this doesn't mean that thinking in "food groups" is useless. Based on individual preference, it can be a simpler/easier way of organizing your intake. I'm sort of doing this, in a spreadsheet - I have "slots" for fruit, vegetables, nuts, that I fill in every day as I plan and eat. I'm not using my food diary anymore, and I'm keeping a good, stable weight. But I don't think I could have done it this way without learning the basics through logging in here first.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You could rename your meals according to the food groups and log foods under each food group heading rather than by breakfast, lunch, etc.