Salad Recipes with Fruit?

Options
RochelleLUnangst
RochelleLUnangst Posts: 42 Member
I've been experimenting with salads by adding different types of fruits...here is one with pomegranate! I enjoyed it but I think I will leave out the tomatoes next time..

(Romane Lettuce, Bacon, Feta Cheese, Tomatoes and Sunflower Seeds with Lite Raspberry Vinaigrette Dressing)

What fruits have you added to your salads?

x6w5sib03hj2.jpg

Replies

• dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I like strawberries in salads with chicken. I like apples, cranberries with blue cheese. I like pear and walnuts. I like raisins or cranberries in broccoli salads. Cucumber is great in fruit salad, taste like melon. Here is a link to some other combos I have tried. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/07/veggies-fruit-delicious-salads.html
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite salads is spinach with grilled chicken, feta, apple, and candied walnuts. Delicious and good for people like me who don't particularly like veggies.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I just had a DE-LISH salad with apple, raw beets, beet greens, spinach, walnuts, and a pear-champagne vinagrette. Next time I think I'll add some cheese--
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Apples, apricots, berries, all are good additions!
  • RochelleLUnangst
    Options
    That sounds amazing! Did you use the pear-champagne vinaigrette from Trader Joes? I'm probably gonna go get some now. :smiley:
  • tanya1052
    tanya1052 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    mango, avocado and chicken; watermelon with feta, onion and black olives; thai pawpaw salad
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    It depends on what is in season:

- we had mango in a salad (with rocket, feta, yellow capsicum, seeds) last week, that was the first one of the season and not the best, so I'll wait a few more weeks.
    - Salad with strawberries last night - it was not my recipe and I thought it was pretty bland, if I make that again I will tweak it a little.
    - I regularly add oranges or mandarin, citrus works well in many salads. Usually I'm make a lemon or orange juice dressing to complement the citrus in the salad. This one looks nice.
    - My niece told me she was making fennel and apple slaw last night - which sounds good too. I'd skip the dill though, it's about the only fresh herb that I just can't stand.
    - If you like peaches (i can't stand the fuzz) they can be halved, grilled and added to salad. I would try this with nectarines but I find it really hard to get good ones here, and if they are so nice, I'd rather eat them raw.
    - Watermelon with mint, fetta, quinoa is good.
    - Fresh pineapple salsa (though it's not quite a salad) is great with grilled fish like snapper or barramundi.

Now I think of it, it's mostly summer fruits that I use in salad - good thing it's the first day of summer today!
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I was served this amazing salad by the mother of one of my college friends back in the late 1980s and I've been making it ever since. It's from the Rochester, NY Junior League cookbook Applehood and Motherpie. LOL Soooo delicious:

Strawberry and Onion Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing

Ingredients:

Salad:

1 head Romaine Lettuce (baby spinach is equally delicious)
    1 pint Fresh Strawberries, sliced
    1 Bermuda Onion, sliced

Dressing:

1/2 cup Mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons Vinegar
    1/3 cup Sugar
    1/4 cup Whole Milk
    2 tablespoons poppy seeds

Directions:

1. Chop lettuce, slice strawberries and onions in a large salad bowl.
    2. Combine dressing ingredients in bowl/mason jar and whisk/shake until blended.
    3. Toss yo salad.

Dressing can be stored in refrigerator for several days.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I love a spinach salad with strawberries, almonds or pecans, avocado, grilled pork, and honey mustard dressing.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Arugula, pear and balsamic. Nom.
  • hapa11
    hapa11 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I was served this amazing salad by the mother of one of my college friends back in the late 1980s and I've been making it ever since. It's from the Rochester, NY Junior League cookbook Applehood and Motherpie. LOL Soooo delicious:

Strawberry and Onion Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing

Ingredients:

Salad:

1 head Romaine Lettuce (baby spinach is equally delicious)
    1 pint Fresh Strawberries, sliced
    1 Bermuda Onion, sliced

Dressing:

1/2 cup Mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons Vinegar
    1/3 cup Sugar
    1/4 cup Whole Milk
    2 tablespoons poppy seeds

Directions:

1. Chop lettuce, slice strawberries and onions in a large salad bowl.
    2. Combine dressing ingredients in bowl/mason jar and whisk/shake until blended.
    3. Toss yo salad.

Dressing can be stored in refrigerator for several days.

Yum.
  • RochelleLUnangst
    Options
    hapa11 wrote: »
    It's from the Rochester, NY Junior League cookbook Applehood and Motherpie.

I'm from upstate NY! I feel like I need this book, thanks for the recipe!
  • becca1101
    becca1101 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    One easy combination is baby greens, goat cheese, chopped walnuts, grapes and balsamic vinaigrette. I think it tastes better if the grapes are sliced in half :)

I think chunks of orange go well with red onion in a salad. And cut up apples are good too!
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I make a Waldorf type chicken salad for luncheons. ...
    braised chicken breast, cubed
    apple of your choice ( I like braeburn or golden delicious in this recipe)
    chunks of pineapple
    green grapes cut in half
    some sliced or diced celery
    some diced red onion
    some cut up nuts - pecans or walnuts usually
    and a mayo/sour cream dressing or a ranch dressing, just enough to lightly coat the ingredients
    salt and pepper to taste

I usually use 1/2 of an apple per chicken breast, 2 rings of canned pineapple cut into small wedges, about 10 grapes, 1/2 - 1 rib celery, 1/4 onon, 1/2 c nuts

Serve it on a bed of lettuce leaf.