Sitting at a desk all day...

Options
2»

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    My watch tells me to get up an move every hour. I try to do that. Takes ~150 steps to clear it. Other than that, I'm not that able to do much. Have a real short commute, then 1 floor up to my office. I don't tend to do much more than walk around the floor when my watch bugs me.

Wife walks the dogs in the afternoon before it gets dark.

But I've got a treadmill at home. So I get my exercise there. My desire to get a gym membership just isn't there.

Maybe see if you can pick up some kind of exercise equipment on Craigslist. Always lots of used stuff cheap.

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Standing, rather than sitting, has been shown to have health benefits. Your employer may even be willing to pay for a standing desk for your use. Standing is a MET 2 exercise. juststand.org
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I work an 8-hour day + 3-hour commute and make sure I get in the gym for at least an hour 6 x week. If the gym isn't an option, invest in some resistance bands and use plyo circuits to get your heart rate elevated for 30-45 minutes after work when you can't walk (or in addition to walking) and stretch for 15-minutes. Lots of at-home work outs involve minimal excess material, like a small set of dumbbells, stepper, ankle weights, etc. Definitely worth the investment.
  • CarolPre
    CarolPre Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    At my old job, we kept a stationary bike in the server room to ride over lunchtime.
  • mindywilsford
    mindywilsford Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Darebee.com has a series of "Office Workouts" designed to be used throughout the day. Some are stretching and some get you moving a little for a few minutes but don't get you sweaty. I like to use them to take a break periodically, although I keep my office door closed ;).
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I keep seeing people mention these under desk cycles. I can't imagine using one since my knees are almost touching the bottom part of my desk as is, let alone trying to move.

Also, in the real world, an under desk cycle is going to help a typical person burn about 5 kCal per hour. How much energy you burn on a bike depends how much you put into it. If you do the math you'll see that the torque and pedal velocity requirements for even a moderate calorie burn aren't really compatible with most office environments.

Better to go for a walk at lunch, park in the far end of the lot, take the stairs, etc, and have time dedicated to exercise outside of other commitments.
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    Either workout at home or isn't there a cheap planet fitness around you for $10 a month?
  • Justme_1
    Justme_1 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    So I have a desk job Monday to Friday 8.30am - 5.30pm and now the nights are very dark as soon as I get home I don't feel comfortable walking my dog as far as would in the summer. A gym membership is out of the question as they are so expensive where I live.

I was just wondering for any of you who also sit at a desk for the majority of the day, is there any way you keep active at your desk? I'll get up and run errands where possible and I always go for a walk on my lunch break.

I'm at a desk all day and going stir crazy. One hour drive to and from work. This time of year stinks, dark and cold.
  • yogabritt89
    yogabritt89 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I work at a desk too! I've converted to a standing desk and try to stand at least have the time. I go to the furthest bathroom/water cooler and if no one is around I lunge to it ;) I keep a little hand exerciser and squeeze on that. I also have a shake weight. I also love my chair yoga (check Pinterest or google) I'm 5'9 and borrow my coworkers desk bike and can use it! Just have to scoot back a few inches :)