Meal replacement shake for breakfast or lunch?

Options
Back at the 21 Day Fix DVDs AND trying to get 10K steps a day. GO ME!! Curious if folks know of one being superior over the other - meal replacement shake for breakfast or lunch?

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I vote neither. If you are set on drinking your calories though, timing is insignificant. Drink it whenever you want.
  • soundtrack
    soundtrack Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks for an answer that really made me think.

I've never been a big fan of these meal replacement shakes. But watching the DVDs I always have this nagging feeling I should do them... Often I find when I do use them, I'm only adding calories to my day as I end up having something to eat regardless. I'm going to be more mindful of my food diary and it's recommendations moving forward.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Shakes as meals get really old really fast (for me). I'd take that 300 or so calories and make some eggs and bacon.
  • SparkyJess3
    SparkyJess3 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I do a shake/smoothie in the morning of raw spinach, mixed fruits and water. It's under 200 calories, gives me tons of energy, helps me get in my veggie and fruit servings (I really struggle with that) and keeps me full until my mid-morning snack of nuts or a quest bar. At least with this shake/smoothie you are getting actual food instead of some shake supplement.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I like them because I find them filling and tasty, but you don't have to do them. It's just a preference thing. I tend to make mine so thick I have to eat them with a spoon.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Neither. Those things are not filling enough by a long shot. As a snack, sure.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    If you were maintaining at your goal weight, would you consider them? I'm not really doing anything I wouldn't do if I was 200-220 lbs.
  • WyattDakota
    WyattDakota Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do a replacement shake for breakfast every morning. 240 calories. Then about an hour later or so, I do a piece of fruit and/or yogurt or nuts etc (healthy snack). Shakes are great if you are choosing a good quality (think ingredients) and it's an actual meal replacement and not just any shake. I find too many people are doing shakes that are less than 200 calories and using them as a meal replacement, this is not enough calories. Add fruit or milk etc to bulk it up. I would love to do a proper breakfast every morning but with being so on the run each day, I blend up a good shake and take it with me as I'm running out the door. I much prefer to eat my lunch and supper so this is why I do a shake for breakfast as well.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    neither. Sometimes ill make a shake with a scoop of meal replacement powder and a banana in mornigns when i struggle to eat, But thats rarely. Cant imagine wanting to waste my delicious calories on a drink. Every day. Ew.