Help me, I'm stuck.

Options
I've been trying to think of every possible reason as to why my scale isn't budging. For the past week and a half/ two weeks it has either stayed at my number or a pound or two higher but never moving passed my lowest.

I'm 23, a female, 5'5" and currently 157 Pounds. I have lost just about 26 pounds and everything was steady. Until July came and nothing changed with the number.

When I work out, it was pretty leisurely, walking an extra 5 miles every day. Just recently I started using the stationary bike at my gym in an attempt to avoid having my body getting used to the walking. Whether I'm biking or walking, I burn between 400 to 600 calories.

I stay under my calorie goal every day for the most part, I work out about an hour a day. I was doing 7 days in a row but then I read a forum that told me I shouldn't work out 7 days in a row. So now I'm at 6 days in a row. Yet I'm still stuck.

I know what foods cause bloating and I avoid them. I drink tons of water and green tea. I avoid processed foods as much as possible.

So what am I doing wrong?

Please help.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed. I'm going to guess you're set to a calorie goal in the range of 1200-1400 calories and not eating your exercise calories back? A lot of us have found that our weight loss stalls if we don't eat enough.
  • moniquedeanne
    moniquedeanne Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    You could trying changing up your workouts. Try kickboxing or zumba those are both calorie blasters and work your body in different ways than just walking or biking. Hope this helps :)
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on losing the 26lbs you have lost so far...well done.

As for being stuck at your weight at the moment, it is really difficult for anyone to give you any advice without seeing your diary or exercise plan.

My advice if you do not want to open your diary is use the search tool and go see some of the advice and topics similar to yours?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed. I'm going to guess you're set to a calorie goal in the range of 1200-1400 calories and not eating your exercise calories back? A lot of us have found that our weight loss stalls if we don't eat enough.

This.
  • CollinCole
    Options
    I find that changing up your workout is the best method. Good luck.
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    As someone else has said, maybe you should try adjusting your calorie intake and eat back some of those calories you've been burning off. Some people stall and find it's because they are eating too little. Good luck and well done!
  • janiner79
    janiner79 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    When do you weigh yourself during the day?
    Do you lift weights?
    What and when is your last meal of the day?
  • almasters90
    almasters90 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    oops I'll change the settings so that my diary is accessible. thanks!
  • cxdyer
    cxdyer Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of good ideas listed above mine. When I reach a plateau I have what I refer to an "Apple Day". All apples, cooked, boiled, raw anyway I can all day long, Just apples, applesauce etc. It seems to get me off my plataueu and then I'm back doing my routine and it works again for me. Thats just what works for me, everyone is different thougth.
  • almasters90
    Options
    I weigh myself first thing in the morning. I don't lift weights. I am going to when I get down to about 140 so that I can start toning up. My diary is now open to the public.

I've been reading what you guys are saying, and maybe I am burning too many calories and not eating enough to compensate. I'll try working on that. I think I got a little obsessed with numbers and working out that I was worried I would start slacking off if I just gave myself a one day break.

Also, when I used to get stuck I would just hit the gym for 2 hours to burn more calories and sweat harder. That always got me past any bumps in the road. But that has now failed to work.

I'm also worried that maybe I'm enjoying too many yummy non-healthy things (although I'm staying under calories). It was my birthday a few weeks back and I got this cake and so I indulged a little every day until it was gone with the help of other people of course. But now I think that maybe I have too many sweet things, like a treat a day or something. Is that bad?

thanks for all the support and advice :)
  • janiner79
    Options
    I weigh myself first thing in the morning. I don't lift weights. I am going to when I get down to about 140 so that I can start toning up. My diary is now open to the public.

I've been reading what you guys are saying, and maybe I am burning too many calories and not eating enough to compensate. I'll try working on that. I think I got a little obsessed with numbers and working out that I was worried I would start slacking off if I just gave myself a one day break.

This is such a huge misconception... Start lifting weights NOW and you will burn off more calories than just getting on a stupid elliptical...You want to build muscle while you lose weight!!! Even while rested, a muscular person will burn more calories than a 'skinny fat' person.
    Eat 5 meals a day (clean of course) and GET TO THE GYM!!! Work on 1 muscle group a day... Train hard, lift heavy, and I promise you will see results in less than 2 weeks!!!
  • m_wilh
    m_wilh Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    You already have some good advice above so I'll just add one more thing. You have 0 on your water consumption each day. I don't know if you're not counting it or you don't drink it. If not, start drinking lots of water.
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    But what if you really...REALLY dislike water? lol

I tried the water thing in 2011. I drank it every day for 2 weeks and eventually admitted defeat. It made my stomach cold, sore, swishy, and left me feeling more hungry!

Actually, theres always flavoured water...

I believe I have just answered my own question. Numpty. :smooched:
  • janiner79
    Options
    But what if you really...REALLY dislike water? lol

I tried the water thing in 2011. I drank it every day for 2 weeks and eventually admitted defeat. It made my stomach cold, sore, swishy, and left me feeling more hungry!

Actually, theres always flavoured water...

I believe I have just answered my own question. Numpty. :smooched:

haha yeah use those Mio's! They're good! And btw, if you're drinking that much water, it's too much... But I find when I add those Mio's to my water, I look forward to drinking it
  • almasters90
    Options
    I'm really bad at recording water. I take a bottle of it in my purse where ever I go so I just need to work keeping track of it.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy! Drink water! Eat back at least half of your exercise calories!

Changing up your cardio exercise is fine, but not necessary. If you are worried that your body will get "used" to the exercise change the route. I adopted a saying and apply it to my exercise. "Like what you do and do what you like" this isn't mine, I just adopted it. I believe in enjoying your workout ... if you like to walk then walk, if you like to run then run, if you like to ride then ride. Don't get all caught up into what will make you loose weight. The exercise is to make you fit and more healthy. A strong body, and a strong heart comes from your exercise, your weight is what you eat.

So I took a look at your diary ... water isn't showing there. I was expecting sodium to be over the top and somedays it is, but most not. So that is a good thing. You're not showing your potassium. Potassium is one of those nutrients that helps your kidneys process the sodium. So my question is are you taking in enough potassium you find this in many things like green vegetables, avocados, and a lot of fruits.
  • almasters90
    Options
    Lift heavy! Drink water! Eat back at least half of your exercise calories!

Changing up your cardio exercise is fine, but not necessary. If you are worried that your body will get "used" to the exercise change the route. I adopted a saying and apply it to my exercise. "Like what you do and do what you like" this isn't mine, I just adopted it. I believe in enjoying your workout ... if you like to walk then walk, if you like to run then run, if you like to ride then ride. Don't get all caught up into what will make you loose weight. The exercise is to make you fit and more healthy. A strong body, and a strong heart comes from your exercise, your weight is what you eat.

So I took a look at your diary ... water isn't showing there. I was expecting sodium to be over the top and somedays it is, but most not. So that is a good thing. You're not showing your potassium. Potassium is one of those nutrients that helps your kidneys process the sodium. So my question is are you taking in enough potassium you find this in many things like green vegetables, avocados, and a lot of fruits.

So I've edited my settings and I think now you can see my potassium intake. I think the numbers for potassium are okay. But let me know if you think otherwise. thank you :)
  • gbrundagebrunker
    gbrundagebrunker Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Might just be the weather. My body hangs on to fluid like crazy when it is hot and humid. Just one day of a little cooler and a little drier air, and I lose it all at once.
  • romesbabe
    romesbabe Posts: 7
    Options
    I am so surprised to hear that someone else is having the same problem that I am at this time. I to have lost 26lbs. this past year and am now stuck at a number that will not go down? I work out 3-5 times a week at a local fitness center and am keeping about a 1100 calorie day status.
    Cannot understand why I am not loosing either. Hopefully you and I can get some good feedback from others. Thanks for posting this, as I felt I was the only one in this situation. Good luck. Stay focused.
  • Dragonfly710
    Options
    I feel your pain. I was stuck in a 2 week plateau where no matter what I did, the scale would not move below my lowest recorded weight. Then all of a sudden, it moved and I dropped 3 lbs in 2 days. I'm chalking it up to my body adjusting to my lower weight and increased muscle. Of course another factor could be bloat (that time of the month or from the summer heat). Reduce sodium and increase water intake if you think it might be summer related. That usually works. Good luck and keep on going!