Hitting a weight loss wall

Options
cns94
cns94 Posts: 165 Member
Hi everyone! So I started getting serious about my weight loss at the end of may (almost 2 months now exactly) and I was doing really well. I've lost 13 pounds so far, which is great BUT this past week or two I have hit a serious plateau. It's extremely discouraging. I haven't given up on my usual habits or changed anything about my eating. I consume around 1400 calories a day & try to work out 5 days a week, 3 of which are usually like Jillian Michaels style cardio, walking/jogging at the gym, & then weights and lighter cardio the other two or 3 with a day off. I pulled deep tissue in my hip a few weeks ago so for a few days I wasn't working out as hard, but even doing a lot of cardio this past week I still can't seem to lose. I wanted to lose 2 more pounds before this sunday to hit my 15 mark, but it's looking like that isn't going to happen this week. My goal for the long run is anywhere between 60 and 70 pounds because that would put me at a really healthy weight for my height and body type.

Anyways...can anyone look at my food diary and/or give me some extra tips from their experience as to how you've personally overcome your plateau?

Replies

• csearcher34
    Options
    Hi!
    I actually had a 6 week plateau where I lost no weight at all. It didn't budge until I started eating at my protein goal and not going over my carb limit. I looked through your diary and saw that you don't really get that much protein, I would try upping that.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    A plateau is usually defined as 4-6 weeks without a loss. Even if you're doing everything right, it's not unusual to see a week or two without a drop on the scale. Especially for women. Our bodies hold onto water for any number of reasons. Exercise, hormones, stress, TOM, sodium, etc.

All that being said, personally all of my plateaus were caused by undereating. It looks like you aren't using your earned exercise calories? You might want to start eating at least a portion of those back.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Two weeks isn't considered a plateau, let alone a serious one, Weight loss isn't linear, and there are likely to be weeks that you don't lose. 13 lbs in 2 months is fantastic, so be proud of that, keep going and have patience. These things take time. :flowerforyou:

(And when I say "keep going", I would actually recommend eating more than you are doing at the moment. See your calorie goal as a target to hit, not something to always be under.)
  • deAstudio73
    Options
    My trainer says to try and keep sugar at approx. 46 grams a day maximum. You are at 100 as a goal, try cutting sugar. That has helped me drop 2#'s a week. And circuit training helps every part of your body
  • Oneal77
    Oneal77 Posts: 12
    Options
    Sorry about you missing your mark for sunday, but this is what I tell a lot of people. Monitor the time you usually go to bed, eat 5hrs before. By doing this, you limit the weight you are laying down with. Yes, your digestive system will eventually dispose of the waste, but at a slower rate because you are not as active. If you did eat late, you are certain to eat breakfast. This is another tole being place on top of the food that is still being disposed of by your body's acids. And if notserious fat is burned during that day, guess what..... you still have to eat. So that's one way of keeping the weight under control. Hope I helped. There is article that you can read, and a video you can watch, at www.uncommonwebshop.com, that could explain a few things. Just click on the weight loss link. Thanks for reading. God Speed.
  • thatch1234
    thatch1234 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Maybe your body is trying to offload some pure fat from a tougher area? Some may say no but everytime I hit a plateu nand I finally break the wall down, I always lose inches. Seriiusly just 1 pound but my clothes are suddenly fitting alot better and I lost some obvious fat in my hips for example. Honestly stick with it and you will see :) chin up! We all have these minor struggles but you wilk come out much better :)

P.s typing on my phone leads to typos. Apologies lol
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Every time my weight loss stalled, it was due to sloppy weighing and tracking of my food intake. Just little errors. I cleaned up my act and started losing again.
  • wblau1991
    wblau1991 Posts: 9
    Options
    Assuming that 1400 is below how much your body burns in a day doing nothing you should be losing weight. Perhaps you're a "carb sensitive" individual who reacts better to a diet higher in protein and fat. As previous posters already mentioned try increasing your protein and fat intake while keeping your calories the same. Ideally you should use online calculators to figure out how many calories your body burns in a day to make sure you are eating at a proper deficit.