Knee issue

Options
I twisted my knee in a class last week and I have a little fluid on it. What's the best remedy? I've been elevating and icing it. I've lowered my intensity in my fitness class. Do I need to get it drained?

Replies

• mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I remember, while playing football, a lineman's knees swelling up like balloons. They would plastic wrap ice over them and call it a day. Couldn't imagine my knees looking like that.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If it's not improving then you need to get the injury properly assessed and diagnosed.
    My personal preference would be diagnosis by a physiotherapist rather than a doctor but that may be due to my personal bad experience of both general practitioners and even orthopaedic surgeons......

My knees have had bone, ligament, cartilage and fat pad impingement injuries and they all required different treatment. Knees are a very complex joint and internet diagnosis by strangers isn't a great idea.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    If it's not improving then you need to get the injury properly assessed and diagnosed.
    My personal preference would be diagnosis by a physiotherapist rather than a doctor but that may be due to my personal bad experience of both general practitioners and even orthopaedic surgeons......

My knees have had bone, ligament, cartilage and fat pad impingement injuries and they all required different treatment. Knees are a very complex joint and internet diagnosis by strangers isn't a great idea.

All of this!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i would not exercise on a swollen knee. its swollen for a reason, find out that reason. Or stay home with ice, rest compression, etc until it doesn't hurt anymore. If it continues to hurt and stays swollen for more than a week or so, definately get it checked out.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    If it's been a full week and no improvement with rest/ice/elevation please see a doctor. Don't mess around with your knees.