Weight gain smoothies? Milkshakes? Ensures?

Options
Will any of this help or just be unhealthy? I'm 123 now and wanna be at least 130, maybe 140? Maybe more.. but I don't want it all to be flabby. I've had mixed opinions on th shakes/smoothed/ensures.

Replies

• BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Ok as a supplement, but don't let it replace eating. And I would try and gain no more than a half pound a week or you will probably see more fat than muscle.
  • HookGripDeadlifts
    HookGripDeadlifts Posts: 30 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    They worked great for me during my bulk because I had a hard time eating a lot first thing in the morning.

I blend my chocolate protein powder with 1 cup milk, 1 cup oatmeal, and 2 tbsp of peanut butter. Taste delicious!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    If they help you reach your goal sure. You can also make your own high cal shakes with protein powder, banana, nut butter, whole milk, flaxmeal, .. you can even add ice cream if you really want !

They won't make you flabby unless you in too high a surplus and are doing no resistance training. The body can only make so much muscle so if you gain too fast, most of that may be fat.
  • philsimon1980
    philsimon1980 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Protein powder/greek yogurt/peanut butter/blueberries/banana/milk = awesomeness
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    You can use consume food or shakes. Generally speaking shakes aren't needed for novices to training in a bulk. Its a suppliment that can help you if you would have problems hitting your macros or calorie goal which isn't usually true in many cases.

I don't exactly remember if you posted a pic for body fat but at your weight you probably only need 90g of protien.

I would focus on your resistance training and calorie count primarily so you don't gain weight too fast since you are worried about fat gains.

When it comes to bulking calories are king over food choices.

• katieann522
    katieann522 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    If they help you reach your goal sure. You can also make your own high cal shakes with protein powder, banana, nut butter, whole milk, flaxmeal, .. you can even add ice cream if you really want !

They won't make you flabby unless you in too high a surplus and are doing no resistance training. The body can only make so much muscle so if you gain too fast, most of that may be fat.

Make your own smoothie. Just remember, good fats are good fats, they help brain development. At 123lbs, are you weight lifting, doing HIIT, or any other exercise. If you're not doing muscle training, you should only need 100-150 calories over your daily needs to gain, that should make it a slow gain. 1-2 lbs a week should be ok. If you're lifting heavy weights, and doing progressive overload, increase your protein to .8-1 gram per pound of body weight, 98-123 grams daily. If you're not doing muscle training, you should be ok between 55-65 grams daily as there is no muscle recovery. if you eat meat, you don't need to use a protein powder in your shakes because you're probably getting enough with your normal diet. if you like it though, go for it. it can get expensive, so if it isn't necessary.....
  • Valcast4444
    Valcast4444 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I drink the generic ensure, 350 calories, 3 times a day along with my meals. It's the only thing thjs far that has helped me
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I drink the generic ensure, 350 calories, 3 times a day along with my meals. It's the only thing thjs far that has helped me

You intake over 1000 calories from shakes a day? How much food are you eating on top of this?
  • CASEYSgirl93
    CASEYSgirl93 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Im eatin 2,100 calories plus without shakes right now.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Im eatin 2,100 calories plus without shakes right now.

Then you will definitely gain a lot of fat. You do not need over 3000 calories at your weight.
  • CASEYSgirl93
    CASEYSgirl93 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you.