Exercise program to target stomach/ abs

Options
Hello :-)

I am looking for a workout program which will target the stomach area/ abs and possibly arms so mainly upper body.

The ones i have been looking at are
1) Les Mills Combat
2) Ripped in 30
3) Rush Fit
4) Focus T25

Before i get one has anyone any experience with these programs and can they tell me the results on upper body?
I have tried insanity and i found my legs are defined and arms and i lost weight but my stomach hasn't had major changes.

Look forward to your replies

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    table pushaways.

the only thing that's going to give you abs is focus in the kitchen. Sure, you can do core workouts to accentuate, but there's no targeted loss.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Your stomach will see changes when your body fat is low enough for the muscles to show through. Body fat must be fairly low for abs to be visible on a man.

If you simply want a stronger core, you do not need to have an abs-specific routine. Anything that requires you to keep your torso erect under torque or load will do it--strength training, sprinting, etc.
  • LeopardPrintedLove
    LeopardPrintedLove Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    ZUMBA!!

(Men do ZUMBA, too.)
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Stop drinking beer. j/k :laugh: I'm doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and I've already lost 1.5" off the fattest part of my waist. She incorporates abdominals in a lot of the circuits.
  • dbg1
    dbg1 Posts: 208
    Options
    Depends.

Definitely kitchen will come into play. If you are going for definition then your body type will come into play. I've read that only 5% of the population has the body type to generate the 6-8 packs. No target loss - just total body reduction. For me the last area to lose is the stomach - period. Has always been that way. Are you looking for the narrow runners waist or the thicker body builder's?

If you are going for strengthening your core then there are variations you can do.
  • runilious
    runilious Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    So continued weight loss and outside of the programs target the stomach area...ok that's good advice :-)

I tried Zumba once my coordination was terrible haha

30 day shred is similar to the ripped in 30 so that is one i mentioned thank you

I would like to slim my waist as i am not big framed so looking for a more athletic look
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Focus T25 right now but it's only been a week and a half, but I dunno - if you aren't happy after Insanity, I am not sure T25 would be right for you.

Seriously though, abs are made in the kitchen. 70 percent diet, 30 percent exercise.
  • mpapstein82
    Options
    Have you heard of bodyrocktv? This lady does insane, short, and effective workouts. She shows ab movements in which you are in plank position but use towels under your feet. You need to be on a smooth surface and then you move your feet in and out. This is a great ab workout because it targets your core and all of your ab muscles!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Are you targeting stomach/abs for core strength or "a 6-pack"?

You can do ab/core work until you can't anymore, but it's not going to target fat loss in that specific area. Your body will burn fat from wherever it wants first (and usually the abdominal area is the last place).

It takes... a caloric deficit, work (cardio and combination work), and patience.
  • runilious
    Options
    Yeah i have heard of bodyrocktv but totally forgot about that...do you have the link to that video?
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Try pushing away from the dinner table. It did wonders me. :laugh:
  • iarelarry
    iarelarry Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I recommend the food scale to target the ab area :tongue:
  • runilious
    Options
    Yeah looks like the diet is the way to go also :-)
    I will look at my calorie intake and see what i can do for that side.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    <--Moderate calorie deficit (TDEE-20% with high protein intake) + heavy lifting (especially compound lifts).

I did almost no ab work and little cardio.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Try the kitchen. Duh! lol.
  • hannamarie88
    hannamarie88 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Stop drinking beer. j/k :laugh: I'm doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and I've already lost 1.5" off the fattest part of my waist. She incorporates abdominals in a lot of the circuits.

What you mean is she puts your abs through a shredder -- in all of the circuits (well, I'm only on level 2, but the plank twists are the death of me). :laugh:
  • mpapstein82
    Options
    I do not have the specific link to that exact video, but if you go to bodyrock.tv you find a lot of short, hardcore workouts.
  • mpapstein82
    Options
    Found it!!! http://www.bodyrock.tv/2012/06/08/push-it-up-amazing-abs-core-sculpt/ This is the exact workout I was talking about but if you google bodyrock tv ab workouts you will find tons of ab routines!!:happy:
  • runilious
    Options
    Thank you for the link that's great :-)