"Maybe we're not eating enough?"

Options
froeschli
froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
My husband asked me this, with hope filled eyes, after reading an article on Hugh Jackman's training regime. There it stated Hugh exercised 11 hours a week, ate 5000 calories daily - and is 198lbs at 6% body fat.

i didn't know how to burst his bubble.

So, ok, they weigh the same. my husband cycles upwards of 11 hours a week. and he probably eats in the neighborhood of 3-4000 calories a day (he thinks it's about 2500 - i may have suspicions that it's actually more, but i dare not mention them).

anyhow. i guess being a fast reader, my husband skipped the parts where it mentioned an hour of strength training, followed by an hour of cardio every day, with some interval training thrown in for good measure.

also, there's a slight difference to the energy needs of 94%LBM vs 75ish%.

i think in the end i managed to explain, and he's considering starting to actually track his food intake. for him to start strength training, that's going to need an article on Clint Eastwood lifting xxx lbs :laugh:

i just found it funny how he latched onto the one piece of info that would justify eating more...

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of Hugh, but having said that....
    My husband asked me this, with hope filled eyes, after reading an article on Hugh Jackman's training regime. There it stated Hugh exercised 11 hours a week

And not 1 leg day was found....

- and is 198lbs at 6% body fat.

Likely media hype. Every "fit" pic I've seen of him would peg him in the 9-12% range.

Finally, there's no telling whether or not Hugh was on any of dem dere supplementations if you know what I mean. Not accusing him of juicing, but I'd at least question it, not because of his physique but because he's paid top dollar to be in shape for movies. This changes things.

As far as your husband is concerned, he should really get a handle on his own energy needs relative to his body and his goals. What Hugh Jackman eats has nothing to do with how your husband should eat.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of Hugh, but having said that....
    My husband asked me this, with hope filled eyes, after reading an article on Hugh Jackman's training regime. There it stated Hugh exercised 11 hours a week

And not 1 leg day was found....

- and is 198lbs at 6% body fat.

Likely media hype. Every "fit" pic I've seen of him would peg him in the 9-12% range.

Finally, there's no telling whether or not Hugh was on any of dem dere supplementations if you know what I mean. Not accusing him of juicing, but I'd at least question it, not because of his physique but because he's paid top dollar to be in shape for movies. This changes things.

As far as your husband is concerned, he should really get a handle on his own energy needs relative to his body and his goals. What Hugh Jackman eats has nothing to do with how your husband should eat.

</thread>
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    5000 calories/day is a weight gain diet, even for Wolverine. If bicycleman wants to gain some nice abdominal fat, or thinks his face is a little too thin, there's nothing to lose by trying it out.
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Haha I've been known to latch on to things I've read, also. Mostly regarding how FEW calories I should eat. I rarely allow myself as much as I should when I "diet" .

I think the best place for your husband are these here forums! x
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I :heart: me some Hugh Jackman. Mmm, mmmm, mmmmmmm.
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I :heart: me some Hugh Jackman. Mmm, mmmm, mmmmmmm.

Well, yes.

( Edit: Tried to post an image but computer said no )
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    and he's considering starting to actually track his food intake. for him to start strength training, that's going to need an article on Clint Eastwood lifting xxx lbs :laugh:

Yes, get him to track his food.

What about Tom Hardy in Batman? Bane is as good an inspiration as any to lift some heavy stuff.
  • jmejiaa
    jmejiaa Posts: 21
    Options
    He's also on some drugs to help him stay lean/gain muscle for his roles.

No one is going to stay lean on 5-6k calorie meals like these actors do, nor do you have the personal chef and perfect timing/nutrition to back up such a diet.