Options
2»

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    storyjorie wrote: »
    I think protein shakes can be really helpful when you're trying to stay full on fewer calories. I tried Shakeology a few times when "coaches" offered me free samples and thought it was pretty much the same texture/flavor as any other protein powder. I buy Vega or Optimum Whey instead, personally, and spend maybe 1/4 of the cost. The Shakeology people claim there are all sorts of special proprietary vitamins in their product but that's simply not true. But if you like the taste and can afford $4 a shake, why not?

For a while, I got in the habit of having chocolate protein powder with ice and frozen fruit at the end of the day and decided it was my "chocolate ice cream" fix.

WTF even is a "proprietary vitamin"? O_o

"Proprietary blend" is a euphemism for "We can advertise that we put all these super-duper awesome thingies in our shakes, but we don't have to tell you how much of them we use".

So a manufacturer can claim that their blend contains variegated purple Nepalese daffodil root (which of course they'll tout as the most effective fat blaster ever on the face of the earth!), and as long as there's the most miniscule detectable amount in their "proprietary blend", it passes muster in the legal sense.

As for all the "superfoods" Snakeoilogy claims are in their shakes - here's a great read about "superfoods": http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/superfoods/?awt_l=BV.g9&awt_m=3gv.Upbtrx0ExV5
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I like another brand better. Protein powder can make getting your protein macro up the the right amount FUN. I like making my own version of protein ice cream, protein custard, pancakes, waffles, etc. If you like your brand so be it. Ignore the naysers, it's just protein, it's just food.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    storyjorie wrote: »
    I think protein shakes can be really helpful when you're trying to stay full on fewer calories. I tried Shakeology a few times when "coaches" offered me free samples and thought it was pretty much the same texture/flavor as any other protein powder. I buy Vega or Optimum Whey instead, personally, and spend maybe 1/4 of the cost. The Shakeology people claim there are all sorts of special proprietary vitamins in their product but that's simply not true. But if you like the taste and can afford $4 a shake, why not?

For a while, I got in the habit of having chocolate protein powder with ice and frozen fruit at the end of the day and decided it was my "chocolate ice cream" fix.

WTF even is a "proprietary vitamin"? O_o

"Proprietary blend" is a euphemism for "We can advertise that we put all these super-duper awesome thingies in our shakes, but we don't have to tell you how much of them we use".

So a manufacturer can claim that their blend contains variegated purple Nepalese daffodil root (which of course they'll tout as the most effective fat blaster ever on the face of the earth!), and as long as there's the most miniscule detectable amount in their "proprietary blend", it passes muster in the legal sense.

As for all the "superfoods" Snakeoilogy claims are in their shakes - here's a great read about "superfoods": http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/superfoods/?awt_l=BV.g9&awt_m=3gv.Upbtrx0ExV5

Is this better than apple cider vinegar? And where can I buy it?
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Its just my opinion, of course, but Shakeology is just over priced Whey Protein/Isolate. I'll stick to Body Fortress for $17.88 at Wal-mart. Coke vs Pepsi. Beef vs Chicken. Pork vs. Beans. It depends on the consumer's personal taste.

EDIT.... However im willing to try it out... once its $17.88... or cheaper :wink:

It's not even pure whey - it's cut with other proteins.