Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why the calorie is broken.

Christine_72
Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
edited December 2016 in Debate Club
Firstly, please don't shoot the messenger :tongue: Obviously more in depth research needs to be done.. But i thought it would make for an interesting discussion :smile:

https://mosaicscience.com/story/why-calorie-broken

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited December 2016
    Also, just to clarify. Simple calories in/calories out has worked for me, but it's hard to ignore the ever increasing amount of posts here claiming it is not that simple for every single person on the planet... Many people claim that it's not only how much they eat, but what they eat also makes a difference...
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    For the unsuccessful its majoring in the minors - focusing on what does not work rather than what does. Satiety is a personal matter and dependent upon an individual. CICO simply shows you how much intake you need to achieve a desired result. It is up to you how you can sustain this caloric intake. If 1400 kcal/day is you goal and you choose to eat two 700 kcal cheeseburgers and nothing else - fine, but this is not sustainable. If you choose a plan incorporating a wide variety of foods, timing, eating habits, and exercise you will be much more likely to succeed.

As for the margin of error in calorie estimations - this is where logging has purpose. If you are achieving your goals great! There is no reason to question the data. If you are not achieving your goals, then look to the accuracy of your logging. Identify the foods with the greatest potential for error - those calorie dense foods. Lessen these and continue tracking.

The problem I see with many of these so-called 'failures' is that the plans are self regulated and people are biased towards themselves. It is a difficult task for most, impossible for some, to take responsibility for their own actions. We have been conditioned for decades that others must be responsible. It is far easier to be a remain a victim.

All of this!!!
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    I read some research where IMF rats and control rats ate the same amount of calories. The IMF rats were normal weight and the control rats were obese.

So, there is more there than cal in/cal out.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Cool article. My one issue is that I didn't see any regulation of hormones and testing of it while in the boxes. I'm sure there's a difference in how people feel being couped up in a box versus being free out in the world. And this could easily change hormone balance which is directly tied to metabolic rate.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

That's a great point. Cortisol levels and what not could vary wildly.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited December 2016
    People who fancy themselves Lovers of Science have a podcast. BFHD. That my proprietary acronym for Big Fat Hairy Deal. I do not turn to them for facts. I'll read the transcript for entertainment. The first error I caught, and I do not have a college degree of any kind was "Roughly speaking, one calorie is the heat required to raise the temperature of one kilogram of water by one degree Celsius." Which is off by 3 orders of magnitude. One calorie is the heat required to raise the temperature of one cubic centimeter of water by one degree Celsius. You can get a better idea of this relationship by considering that a single cherry tomato has one calorie. How much work could the fire from one such desiccated vegetable do? That 1kg / 1 C error appears in many pop- and pseudo-science places.

I've read that link before and made that comment before, so let me amend my prior comment to strike the last sentence.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    Lemurcat for the win. :lol:

You can tell when someone has been on these forums for a while - they catch all the arguments in one post.

I completely agree with lemur and CSAR. I also believe that proper nutrition leads to satiety, not moar fat or less carbs. I believe Nature has done a very good job in giving us cues to lead us to a healthy diet. Once again, Man comes along and invents a bunch of stuff to eat and Nature laughs and thins the herd.
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    I'm a big believer in "simple is better". Now, having said that, I also know not all calories are created equal. But, for purposes of discussion, advice and mentoring, I stick with "the simpler, the better"
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    All of these are good points to show that a calorie is not really a calorie (or, more precisely, there are several competing methods for measuring a calorie).

I am one of those people who gets frustrated because weight changes don't usually match CICO. It took more than 2 years to lose my first 20 lbs. I've lost 24 more lbs. in the last 9 months. The primary difference is what specific macros I've eaten.

I've had plateaus that nobody can explain, even with extremely meticulous logging. That includes switching during the plateau to what should be an enormous deficit, yet without sustained gain (i.e. a true plateau where no loss and no gain can result until the plateau ends).

In short, there is a tremendous amount more to weight loss than simple CICO. That's been very clear to me for years. I envy anyone who is actively losing weight and has the results expected based on CICO. Those are usually the people who believe CICO is the ultimate answer, so perhaps I should pity their ignorance rather than envy their success?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    I read some research where IMF rats and control rats ate the same amount of calories. The IMF rats were normal weight and the control rats were obese.

So, there is more there than cal in/cal out.

run that experiment on yourself and see what happens...try eating 500 calories over maintenance for three months and report back ...
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited December 2016
    People who fancy themselves Lovers of Science have a podcast. BFHD. That my proprietary acronym for Big Fat Hairy Deal. I do not turn to them for facts. I'll read the transcript for entertainment. The first error I caught, and I do not have a college degree of any kind was "Roughly speaking, one calorie is the heat required to raise the temperature of one kilogram of water by one degree Celsius." Which is off by 3 orders of magnitude. One calorie is the heat required to raise the temperature of one cubic centimeter of water by one degree Celsius. You can get a better idea of this relationship by considering that a single cherry tomato has one calorie. How much work could the fire from one such desiccated vegetable do? That 1kg / 1 C error appears in many pop- and pseudo-science places.

I've read that link before and made that comment before, so let me amend my prior comment to strike the last sentence.

A food calorie is actually a kilocalorie. That's why you are seeing "heat required to raise the temperature of one kilogram of water by one degree Celsius" in so many places talking about food.

tpwu1rux403q.jpg
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member

A calorie is for 1 cm³. A Calorie (with capital c), which is the common name given to the kilocalorie, kcal, which is used in food is 3 orders of magnitude bigger.
  • akoivisto
    akoivisto Posts: 141 Member
    If I had a penny for every time this general post topic appeared on my "Recent Forum Topics" I could buy a Total Gym AND a couple of Shake Weights!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    For the unsuccessful its majoring in the minors - focusing on what does not work rather than what does. Satiety is a personal matter and dependent upon an individual. CICO simply shows you how much intake you need to achieve a desired result. It is up to you how you can sustain this caloric intake. If 1400 kcal/day is you goal and you choose to eat two 700 kcal cheeseburgers and nothing else - fine, but this is not sustainable. If you choose a plan incorporating a wide variety of foods, timing, eating habits, and exercise you will be much more likely to succeed.

As for the margin of error in calorie estimations - this is where logging has purpose. If you are achieving your goals great! There is no reason to question the data. If you are not achieving your goals, then look to the accuracy of your logging. Identify the foods with the greatest potential for error - those calorie dense foods. Lessen these and continue tracking.

The problem I see with many of these so-called 'failures' is that the plans are self regulated and people are biased towards themselves. It is a difficult task for most, impossible for some, to take responsibility for their own actions. We have been conditioned for decades that others must be responsible. It is far easier to be a remain a victim.

So much truthiness.
  • n1terunner
    n1terunner Posts: 76 Member
    It isn't perfect, but BMI is the first thing I think that should be gotten rid of.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    n1terunner wrote: »
    It isn't perfect, but BMI is the first thing I think that should be gotten rid of.

I disagree on a personal level because I was in denial that I was borderline obese according to my doctor and her damn BMI calculation. After all, I was fairly active with hiking, snowshoeing, downhill skiing. How could I be fat? If nothing else it inspired me to get off my a** and change that number, as arbitrary as it seemed. So, for me, BMI is legitimate. And for most of the population as well.