Correct Calories, Not Losing Weight

Options
2»

Replies

• Edibor
    Edibor Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Okay! I'll start seeing about weighing things and keeping a diary!
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Edibor wrote: »

Two really good places to start, this way you'll have hard data to work with :)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in how you make out with this, mostly because I hope to have your husbands problem in a few months. I'm an accountant so I sit on my *kitten* all day. I'm 285 (down from 330) and have set my goal at 220 (overweight), but know I will want to get below that.

Just a comment on what Spliner1969 posted about weighing condiments. Somewhere I read that it is easier to weigh the container before taking the mayo (zero it out) and then once you have used it. The difference is what you used. I'm finding that works well for me.

The MFP food diary seems to be good enough. It's not perfect, but I've not seen a better one.

And congrats to him for getting down to where he is.

Now can I start with the lawyer jokes? :)
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    grmckenzie wrote: »
    Just a comment on what Spliner1969 posted about weighing condiments. Somewhere I read that it is easier to weigh the container before taking the mayo (zero it out) and then once you have used it. The difference is what you used. I'm finding that works well for me.

Whatever works is good. Once you get into the habit it's easy and quick, so do it however you want, but do weigh it'll make a difference.

Uh yea, use the diary it's the core component to why MFP works. Otherwise unless you simply do more exercise than you can possibly eat in calories you likely won't be losing weight consistently or at all.
  • missmagnoliablossom
    Options
    I'm an accountant so I sit on my *kitten* all day.

Brutal.

;)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in how you make out with this, mostly because I hope to have your husbands problem in a few months. I'm an accountant so I sit on my *kitten* all day. I'm 285 (down from 330) and have set my goal at 220 (overweight), but know I will want to get below that.

I put the condiment on the scale, turn it on and then scoop out until I get to a negative number that is the g in serving size

so if i'm using my cream cheese as example, then I put on the scale and when it says -23g I know that I have one serving on my muffin etc - I do it in smaller scoops (easier to customize)

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    A temporary change in weight could be a blip due to water weight changing, though it seemed to come at a time when he increased his cals in. Correlation is not always the same thing as causation.

Get a food scale, start using it, to figure out what calories he is really taking in. By using cups/spoons it is a guess as to how much he is consuming. Logging 1950 means nothing if there is no accuracy.

MyFitnessPal-the site you're on now-is great for logging...
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    He isn't weighing his food, he isn't logging his food, he doesn't appear to be involved in the process at all. Is he interested in losing weight or is this your idea? As others have mentioned it is highly possible he's eating when you're not around. This really needs to be something he is doing for himself. He's a big boy - time to pull up his big boy pants and do the work. Stop trying to mommy him.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    He isn't weighing his food, he isn't logging his food, he doesn't appear to be involved in the process at all. Is he interested in losing weight or is this your idea? As others have mentioned it is highly possible he's eating when you're not around. This really needs to be something he is doing for himself. He's a big boy - time to pull up his big boy pants and do the work. Stop trying to mommy him.
    Agreed with this.
    1. Food scale. Cups and spoons are VERY inaccurate. And yes, so inaccurate that he may not even be losing weight/be in maintenance.
    2. Log weighed food and measured beverages on MFP. Log bites and tastes. My husband has his own mfp and I don't interfere. I am losing weight for me, and he is losing weight for him. We may be married but we're still two different people. :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Okay, let's see. I'm assuming you guys use MyFitnessPal for a food diary?

I like MyFitnessPal best of the food diaries I have tried. I've been using it to log for 2 years now.