Lower Back Pain After Squats

Options
2»

Replies

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I actually got that type of pain from heavy deadlifts. You said you did deads, too, right? Just a thought. Adding a weight belt and working on form fixed it for me.

I thought it was interesting the pain was from/during squats but felt fine for doing deads after. Usually deads are what get me, even if it's just tightness/doms.
  • Coffee_qd
    Coffee_qd Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I actually got that type of pain from heavy deadlifts. You said you did deads, too, right? Just a thought. Adding a weight belt and working on form fixed it for me.

Yes, I did deadlifts too. I felt something after the squats but no discomfort during OHP and DL. I'm wondering that although not painful, maybe I made it worse by doing the DLs.
  • Coffee_qd
    Options
    Strange thing is that I've never had any discomfort or doms after DLs. That was my concern when I initially started lifting.

Back pain is somewhat improved this evening. Will probably just do some light, non weight bearing exercises for the next couple of days. Hope to be back on Monday.

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Do you have a but wink? Also are you squatting with raised heels?
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Pay attention that your back isn't rounding, especially towards the bottom of your squat. It could be a flexibility issue. Practicing staying in the sit squat position, while trying to keep your back straight could help with that. Otherwise, you might just be going too heavy.
    On a side note. I recently found how to get into the correct foot position for your body. This mostly applies to the dead lift since the loaded bar needs to be on the ground. You sit on it and get your legs and feet into a comfortable position, without going too narrow. I used to think I had to point my toes forward, but being that my knees kind of face a little to the inside, toes pointed more outwards seems to be a more ergonomic position for me.
  • Coffee_qd
    Options
    As far as I know, no wink. I did squat with plates under my heels for a long time. After reading Starting Strength and watching Rippetoe's videos, I practiced without plates. First without any weights, then empty bar until I felt comfortable enough to add weight.

I feel like I am very focused on making sure my back is not rounding but I believe that is what happened when I tweaked my back. My foot position is just a bit wider than shoulder-width, toes pointed slightly out. That stance feels comfortable.

Pain is much improved today. Only the occasional pinch but overall better.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Although I don't do squats any more due to some spinal injuries in the past (not caused by the squats, unrelated), bad form can cause a whole lot of damage so be very careful. Dead lifting a lot of weight and leaning forward too far is a sure way to herniate a disc, or rip/pull/tear muscles in your lower back. Trust me, you don't want a herniated disc, its some of the worst pain you'll ever feel, and it's costly to deal with. My suggestion is rest, stay away from dead lifts for a while, and if it doesn't subside on its own within a week or two, go see a doctor. If you start to have any shooting pain down either leg or pain shooting down your butt, it means you likely pinched a nerve and will likely need a doctor. Muscle relaxers may help you heal faster, so there's a good reason to see your doctor as well.
  • Coffee_qd
    Options
    I'll definitely be much more cautious and aware of proper form when performing squats and DLs. This injury was quite scary. Again, I am feeling much better today, except for a pinch here and there. I hope I'll continue to improve and won't need to see a doctor. I will for sure take it slow when starting up again.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Coffee_qd wrote: »
    I'll definitely be much more cautious and aware of proper form when performing squats and DLs. This injury was quite scary. Again, I am feeling much better today, except for a pinch here and there. I hope I'll continue to improve and won't need to see a doctor. I will for sure take it slow when starting up again.

FWIW, IMO it is much harder to hurt your back doing DLs than SQTs if you are maintaining proper form.

In the DL, the hips, glutes and quads are "supposed" to do virtually all the work. The back is "supposed" to be held straight and rigid under tension to act as a lever at the hips to straighten up (which requires only a little lower back involvement if the bar is held against your leg as it is "supposed" to be held) and as a point of attachment for the arms & shoulders that aren't "supposed" do anything except to hold onto the bar and keep it in contact w/your shins and thighs as the bar is dragged up your leg while you straighten your back and stand up straight.

So, the only way you can hurt your back doing a DL is to allow the bar to swing away from your leg while you are straightening up (or lowering the weight w/o dropping it) which causes you to lean forward and place unnecessary stress on your lower back which at DL weights can be substantial.

I've never tweaked my back or felt at any risk of injury doing DLs this way but I have injured my lower bach (minor) and right SI joint (seriously) in the past and always feel at risk of further injury doing SQts, even when i do them perfectly.

• Coffee_qd
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Coffee_qd wrote: »

FWIW, IMO it is much harder to hurt your back doing DLs than SQTs if you are maintaining proper form.

In the DL, the hips, glutes and quads are "supposed" to do virtually all the work. The back is "supposed" to be held straight and rigid under tension to act as a lever at the hips to straighten up (which requires only a little lower back involvement if the bar is held against your leg as it is "supposed" to be held) and as a point of attachment for the arms & shoulders that aren't "supposed" do anything except to hold onto the bar and keep it in contact w/your shins and thighs as the bar is dragged up your leg while you straighten your back and stand up straight.

So, the only way you can hurt your back doing a DL is to allow the bar to swing away from your leg while you are straightening up (or lowering the weight w/o dropping it) which causes you to lean forward and place unnecessary stress on your lower back which at DL weights can be substantial.

I've never tweaked my back or felt at any risk of injury doing DLs this way but I have injured my lower bach (minor) and right SI joint (seriously) in the past and always feel at risk of further injury doing SQts, even when i do them perfectly.

You're right. Since I started SL I have not had any issues at all with back pain doing DLs. Lots of form practice with empty bar, reading, and videos. I do wear my full-length workout pants to keep my shins from getting scratched by the bar, so keeping it close during the lift.

I have learned the hard way that squats can easily create an injury. SI joint injury I'm sure is very painful. The squat is indeed a very intricate lift/move.

I am hoping to get back to the gym by Monday.