Sled pulls with weights

Options
I'm trying to find out approximately how many calories I burn when I do sled pulls with 45-lb plates. I don't seem to be able to find the information anywhere. I know these things are an approximation, but I always like to "see" how much I've worked.

If this information is in another thread, I'd appreciate it if someone could point me in that direction!

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I would log it as general cardio. It is almost impossible to quantify a calorie burn from exercise.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    You can estimate the calories burned by using a "heart rate calorie burn calculator."

Google these terms to find a variety of them. I'd post a link but I can't figure out how to do that on my phone. But, they're easy to find.

You just need to enter your age, wt, sex, heart rate using a minitor and the elapsed time to get an estimate of the calories burned.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I'd log it as strength training.

ETA: or circuit training -- I do push/pull circuits with lighter loads.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    The surface you're pulling on will make a great difference in difficulty

Not going to find reliable published information.

It's great exercise though.
  • TheWidowJones
    TheWidowJones Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    The surface you're pulling on will make a great difference in difficulty

Not going to find reliable published information.

It's great exercise though.

I pull the sled on the asphalt parking lot outside my gym. The uneven asphalt. With tar-covered cracks. And potholes. There should be an entirely different category for it lol
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Short of actually calculating the force production, friction and efficiency, you're likely not going to find an accurate estimate.