Best/better Fast Food options?

Options
13»

Replies

• julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    Don't forget your local supermarket likely has reasonably quick healthy choices, such as deli sandwiches.

Sushi, Greek yogurt, and roasted chicken are also often found at the grocery store and are pretty easy to fit in a diet...watch the portion sizes!

Be careful with the grocery store deli sandwiches. Some of those sandwiches and wraps can pack up to 1000 calories (the box of 8 pinwheel sandwiches by Boarshead is an example of this).
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Farmer boys

Breakfast : California omelet 1114 calories
    Lunch : Farmer's Chopped Salad 662 calories
    Dinner:
    Market burger - if I want Vegetarian. 703 calories, Farmer's burger - meat option. 1110
    calories. I order Fried Zucchini (846 calories ) with my dinner and my sister tends to order Harvest fries with chili cheese (877 calories) with her's.

Healthy for me is, meeting my calories & macros.
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    This kinda makes me want Taco Bell...

Same
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    It is so easy to find healthy options with fast food. Plain grilled chicken burger, grilled chicken salad, any type of make your own salad at subway, etc
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    McD's fish fillet sandwich, no cheese, no tartar - 270 cals. Add lettuce/tomato for small upcharge.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    Someone on the forums mentioned they would order a small chili to replace fries with their burger. I love this idea because I really don't like Wendy's fries.

I don't like their fries either so I substitute with chicken nuggets lol. Their chili is really good too though :)
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,801 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I read this article yesterday and since Taco Bell is mentioned early in the thread I thought some folks might be interested. :) I find it to be a more balanced and less headline-grabbing way of presenting info as opposed to the "eat this, not that" guy. It also breaks down menu options based on different nutrition focuses customers might have - i.e. low carb or vegetarian or low fat, etc.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/02/health/taco-bell-menu-nutritionist/
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Loving this thread and suggestions. I'll add my own. Since I am probably on a lower calorie day than most of you (by the number of calories you say you eat at lunch), I don't get to do much eating out anymore and, if I do, I reserve for dinner. I am trying to keep my meals mostly around 300 calories so I can have a larger meal at dinner. Anyway, my go too for "dinner out" seems to be Panera all the time. I get a cup of their Turkey Chili and the Kale/Caesar/Romaine Chicken Salad with clocks in at about 430 or something like that. It's real treat for me due to the full-fat Caesar and the parmesan crisps (whisps) on the salad.

Another place I go for dinner and get a lot of food for low calorie is Cava Mezze Grill. It's sort of like a mediterranian Chipotle. I can get this massive bed of romaine/supergreens top with a protein (chicken) and all sorts of wonderful, low cal veggie toppies, yogurt sauces etc. Even with a few "treat" items on top, I can get this huge meal for 530 calories for dinner. Too much for lunch for sure, but a nice weekend eating-out treat for me.

I've got to go look into Wendy's now to see how low I can get a tasty lunch.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,871 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Chick-fil-a or Panda Express.

I used to love Subway, but it seemed most of what I ate was the bread at times, even when they offered to double the meat. These days my go-to sandwich place is Pita Pit, where I get the same meat and veggies but with a very thin pita holding it together rather than a large slab of bread. I especially love their buffalo chicken wrap -- 20g protein with a full day's load of veggies for only 300 calories.

(Don't get me wrong, I LOVE bread, but it's been a casualty of war in my diet. I used to put away 5-6 dinner rolls per meal; now I get a single roll, period. Unless I eat at Olive Garden, in which case bring them on, baby!)
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    My favorite quickies for lunch are:

Wendy's - plain baked potato, add tomato & onion (so good and filling!)

Taco Bell - I order sides and they throw them into a bowl for me: black beans & rice, lettuce, pico and guacamole (addicted to this!)

Zoup - they have several soups that are delicious, wholesome and filling and they list all their nutritional info online, which makes it super easy to make decisions on how many calories I want to spend.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    tryett wrote: »
    Wendy's - Double Stack w/o the bun and a small chili w/sour cream

Qdoba - Steak salad w/o the shell w/ fajita veggies, pico and roja, cheese dip and sour cream

Arby's - Farmhouse Turkey Bacon salad with ranch dressing.

Jersey Mike's - Sub in a Tub

Chili-fil-a. Grilled chicken nuggets.

This is a brilliant idea! I wish there was one around here...
  • Shorebound
    Shorebound Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My go to fast good option is Wendy's small chili with a side salad filling and under 200 calories. If i need to use up more calories I either get a large chili or the taco salad but dont eat the chips.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    vnb_208 wrote: »
    Taco Bell - Cantina Power Bowl

Panda Express - Chicken Teriyaki Bowl w/ steamed rice

Chick-Fil-A has grilled nuggets too.

Also ask for protein-style at your local burger joint. Most of them offer that nowadays.

CANTINA POWER BOWL IS CONSIDERED THE 6TH WORST OPTION FOR TACO BELL SPECIALTY MENU
    490 calories, 19 g fat (6 g saturated), 1,280 mg sodium, 49 g carbs, 8 g fiber, 3 g
    sugars, 29 g protein

Don’t be fooled by this item’s wholesome appearance. It contains as much fat as a McDonald’s Filet-O-Fish or a Burger King Double Cheeseburger.

http://www.eatthis.com/taco-bell-menu-ranked

I fail to see why this is "bad". 490 calories with 19F, 49C, and 29P seems pretty easy to fit into a normal day, IMO.

Those are calorie and macro number that I would actually seek out.