5k Challenge!

Options
tfernan
tfernan Posts: 15 Member
Hi Everyone!

I recently made a personal goal to run a 5k run again. I did it once a couple of years ago and I felt great! It really boosted my mood and confidence, which is something I really need this time of the year.

Would anyone like to join me? I'm following Hal Higdon's 5k novice schedule, but please share your own plan! :smile:

Replies

• tigernikki
    tigernikki Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hey, i'm in!!
    I haven't run for over a year, before that i'd been running for years, 5ks, 10ks and half marathons.
    Training for the last half marathon in October last year was a struggle and i didn't feel like running again for a while.
    Running a 5k would be good tho, although i'll be happy with running mile for now. :D
  • tfernan
    Options
    tigernikki wrote: »
    Hey, i'm in!!
    I haven't run for over a year, before that i'd been running for years, 5ks, 10ks and half marathons.
    Training for the last half marathon in October last year was a struggle and i didn't feel like running again for a while.
    Running a 5k would be good tho, although i'll be happy with running mile for now. :D

That's great!!! You're so experienced, I'm so excited to do this with you! :smile:
    Do you have a program you follow? Or just you just go out and run until you're tired? Do you use a treadmill or outdoors?
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I'm in! I was up to 5 miles a year ago, then broke a bone in my foot, then broke another bone in the same foot, then a quick round of breast cancer/lumpectomy/radiation, then lost my father, so I'm in desperate need of some stress relief. Planning to restart today, on my trusty treadmill. I'm aiming for a run-walk pattern, for a total of 3 miles today. Then next run increase the runs slightly.
  • tigernikki
    Options
    tfernan wrote: »
    Hey, i'm in!!

That's great!!! You're so experienced, I'm so excited to do this with you! :smile:
    Do you have a program you follow? Or just you just go out and run until you're tired? Do you use a treadmill or outdoors?

I don't know about being experienced, but thank you.
    I will find my old training programs, they worked really well for me, for now tho i'll just let the dog take me out for a jog. :smiley:
    I'm running outside, i live in the UK, so it isn't crazy cold, in fact, my favourite weather to run is on a sunny, crispy winter morning.

When is your next planned run?

• tigernikki
    Options
    nikkit321 wrote: »
    I'm in! I was up to 5 miles a year ago, then broke a bone in my foot, then broke another bone in the same foot, then a quick round of breast cancer/lumpectomy/radiation, then lost my father, so I'm in desperate need of some stress relief. Planning to restart today, on my trusty treadmill. I'm aiming for a run-walk pattern, for a total of 3 miles today. Then next run increase the runs slightly.

Oh gosh, you had a stressful year. Hope everything's getting better now. I've also lost my dad earlier this year.

Enjoy the run/walk.
  • tfernan
    Options
    nikkit321 wrote: »

Oh gosh, you had a stressful year. Hope everything's getting better now. I've also lost my dad earlier this year.

Enjoy the run/walk.

Oh no!! I agree! What a stressful year it has been for the both of you! I admire your strength to keep going and stay positive! I hope that we will all work to meet our goals and continue to encourage and inspire each other
  • Laliewes
    Laliewes Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in! Haven't run for years but want to get back into it! Don't know what the Hal Higdon's schedule is... but will look into it!
  • FemmeFireRL
    FemmeFireRL Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to run. I was following the C25K (Couch to 5 K) program a few years ago and got pretty far but had to stop when I injured my back. My husband loves running so I'm starting up again, treadmill so I can't use the weather as an excuse ;)
  • gregholmes1974
    gregholmes1974 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm in !

Had a year of slobbing out, getting fat and unfit - so will be a proper challenge, but determined to get there !!

Using my treadmill and a basic walk/run/walk plan...
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my first one in March.