Whey vs. Non dairy protein powder- Side effects

Options
Noticing an increase in acne since making diet changes. (Eating at a modest deficit, increasing protein from 30 up to 90ish grams per day) Been using whey protein powder to help meet daily protein targets, but have been reading that for some, whey powder has been linked to acne. Wondering if switching to non dairy products has made a difference? Also, has anyone else experienced side effects with any sort of protein powder?

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I get skin and digestive issues with whey concentrate protein powders . No problems with Isolate, followed closely by casein.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I sometimes use brown rice protein powder if I need more protein since I don't eat much meat.
  • Anclote
    Anclote Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Costco makes a VEGAN protein powder called Orgain that comes in chocolate and vanilla and is AMAZEBALLS. It's 100% organic and also contains no soy if you're concerned about that as well. Seriously. Buy it. Down with dairy. Pimples be gone.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    edited December 2016
    Options
    So you added 60g of protein powder?

There are people that get issues from large amounts of supplementation. May be worth trying to get 25-30g from another source of protein.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    90 grams of whey protein is a lot. I was taking around 50 and started to get gut related side effects.
  • psuLemon
    edited December 2016
    Options
    90 grams of whey protein is a lot. I was taking around 50 and started to get gut related side effects.

It's possible that since proteins are harder to breakdown, it could be causing some kind of reaction. It's also highly plausible that I am talking out of my kitten.

Have you ever considered trying to taper protein a bit. It seems like you did a rather large jump, so potentially as a means to address the immediate symptoms, aim for slightly lower protein levels and then build back up. And focus on using non supplemental choices of protein (vegan or animal based). It's possible at that point, you can find pinpoint the causes.

Edit: I just notice I mixed this thread with your other.. lol.. just ignore me.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I like sunwarrior best but I make smoothies I don't drink it plain. I don't do much dairy, gives me oilier skin and sinus issues.
  • kkress92
    kkress92 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    So you added 60g of protein powder?

There are people that get issues from large amounts of supplementation. May be worth trying to get 25-30g from another source of protein.

No, I didn't add 60 g of protein from powder, I increased protein in my diet with food, but still found it difficult to hit my daily target, so I added a small amount of protein powder;) Sorry for the miscommunication.
  • kkress92
    Options

Have you ever considered trying to taper protein a bit. It seems like you did a rather large jump, so potentially as a means to address the immediate symptoms, aim for slightly lower protein levels and then build back up. And focus on using non supplemental choices of protein (vegan or animal based).

I didn't make these changes overnight, rather slowly over about a month.
    Also, I apologize for any miscommunication; I'm not getting ALL protein from supplements, just about 20 grams per day, the rest is from food. Let's not get crazy now ;)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    kkress92 wrote: »

Have you ever considered trying to taper protein a bit. It seems like you did a rather large jump, so potentially as a means to address the immediate symptoms, aim for slightly lower protein levels and then build back up. And focus on using non supplemental choices of protein (vegan or animal based).

I didn't make these changes overnight, rather slowly over about a month.
    Also, I apologize for any miscommunication; I'm not getting ALL protein from supplements, just about 20 grams per day, the rest is from food. Let's not get crazy now ;)

Do you have the say reaction for all types of protein?
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Anclote wrote: »
    Costco makes a VEGAN protein powder called Orgain that comes in chocolate and vanilla and is AMAZEBALLS. It's 100% organic and also contains no soy if you're concerned about that as well. Seriously. Buy it. Down with dairy. Pimples be gone.

Costco does not make this product, its made by Orgain and is readily available online and in other stores, I've noticed it at Vitamin Shoppe. It's a wonderful product, I have no digestive side effects with it, I mix it with PB2 (peanut powder) (also at Costco and Vitamin Shoppe etc) to cut the stevia sweetness of it. I use a half serving of Orgain with a half serving of PB2, in water, as a under 100 calorie, 12.5 grams of protein, post-workout beverage, with the side bonus of satisfying my Reeses Peanut butter cup urges.

http://orgain.com/products/organic-protein-powder/

http://www.bellplantation.com/nutrition-facts/
  • kkress92
    Options

Do you have the say reaction for all types of protein?[/quote]

Not generally from food, but I'm new to protein powders. I've only tried one, and was wondering if acne was a possible side effect of that particular type (whey) I was asking
    1)if others had experienced the same
    2)if they had switched
    3) which type they had switched to
    4) whether the switch resulted in a decrease of acne.

I was considering trying a different type of protein powder and didn't want to potentially waste $$ on trying a new type that was going to do the same thing.

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

It's possible that since proteins are harder to breakdown, it could be causing some kind of reaction. It's also highly plausible that I am talking out of my kitten.

Have you ever considered trying to taper protein a bit. It seems like you did a rather large jump, so potentially as a means to address the immediate symptoms, aim for slightly lower protein levels and then build back up. And focus on using non supplemental choices of protein (vegan or animal based). It's possible at that point, you can find pinpoint the causes.

Edit: I just notice I mixed this thread with your other.. lol.. just ignore me.

LOL no worries- I guessed. :smile: And thank you for the advice!