First Powerlifting Meet Questions

The Powerlifting group seems pretty dead so I'll post this here and hopefully get more feedback.

I'm 6 weeks out from my first meet (raw push/pull) and I need to get a singlet. I'm competing in RPS which is pretty relaxed regarding equipment, but I am thinking I should get an IPF approved singlet in case I want to compete in USAPL someday. Those seem to be the 2 popular feds in my area. With that in mind, I was leaning toward the Titan Triumph singlet, but would love to hear any other recommendations.

What are the pros and cons of competing at the bottom of a weight class? I'm currently 216 lbs and was originally planning to compete in the 220 class, but I would have a better shot at a federation record if I move up into the 242 class. I know the majority says not to worry about weight for your first meet, but I'm not looking to cut down a class like most competitors. Is this a stupid strategy? Should I just stay in 220?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    The Powerlifting group seems pretty dead so I'll post this here and hopefully get more feedback.

I'm 6 weeks out from my first meet (raw push/pull) and I need to get a singlet. I'm competing in RPS which is pretty relaxed regarding equipment, but I am thinking I should get an IPF approved singlet in case I want to compete in USAPL someday. Those seem to be the 2 popular feds in my area. With that in mind, I was leaning toward the Titan Triumph singlet, but would love to hear any other recommendations.

What are the pros and cons of competing at the bottom of a weight class? I'm currently 216 lbs and was originally planning to compete in the 220 class, but I would have a better shot at a federation record if I move up into the 242 class. I know the majority says not to worry about weight for your first meet, but I'm not looking to cut down a class like most competitors. Is this a stupid strategy? Should I just stay in 220?

I ordered my singlet from Matman and it's USAPL approved.

Regarding the weight classes it depends on how much you care about setting a record and whether or not you think it's well within reach.

I think intentionally gaining 26lbs just to set a record at a powerlifting meet is a poor choice likely for health reasons unless you're 216 and ripped, but that's a separate discussion.

You are going to have a lot of things to concern yourself with at your first meet. Timing your warmups, understanding how the flights work, equipment check, rack heights, learning the commands, attempt selections, etc.

This is why it's generally not a good idea to worry about weight class limitations your first time out, and in this case I'd say the same thing especially given how much weight you'd need to gain to make it.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited December 2016
    i get my singlets from Inzer, they run very small so if you order from them consider ordering 2 sizes up (at least in girls sizes they run small, not sure about mens) . Order your singlet soon so if it doesnt' fit you have time to exchange it.

For your first meet, dont worry about your weight class, just worry about getting experience on the platform.

and 6 weeks out from a meet is not the time to start thinking about gaining or losing weight to fit a certain weight class. Just focus on your lifts and being your strongest with your current body at its current weight. Any time you gain or lose, lots of things happen to your body that will affect you. After this meet you can think about how you did and where you'd like to be and set mini goals to get you there for your next meet. Just go into this meet with the goal of getting platform experience. thats my 2 cents
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    DeadliftsandDonuts Posts: 178 Member
    edited December 2016
    SideSteel wrote: »

I ordered my singlet from Matman and it's USAPL approved.

Regarding the weight classes it depends on how much you care about setting a record and whether or not you think it's well within reach.

I think intentionally gaining 26lbs just to set a record at a powerlifting meet is a poor choice likely for health reasons unless you're 216 and ripped, but that's a separate discussion.

You are going to have a lot of things to concern yourself with at your first meet. Timing your warmups, understanding how the flights work, equipment check, rack heights, learning the commands, attempt selections, etc.

This is why it's generally not a good idea to worry about weight class limitations your first time out, and in this case I'd say the same thing especially given how much weight you'd need to gain to make it.

I was only planning to gain 5-6 lbs and compete at 221, which would put me at the bottom of the 242 class. As I get closer to the meet and don't think I have a chance at the record, then I would drop back down to 220.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    To make the next class up, OP would only need to be over 220 lbs though (220 is max weight cap for current class, 242 class is just anything above that - so 220.1-242.0), which is only 4 lbs more than current. That could be eating big the previous day and a large breakfast before weigh ins.
    If 216 is fasted weight, likely you'd be close to hitting 220+ later in the day anyway after getting some meals in.
    Normally I would agree not to worry about your weight at all for your first meet, but being this close you could easily bump up to the next class if you wanted to. Just don't let it get to your head and pick outrageous attempts or go crazy with food and eat to the point you get sick. Be smart about your attempts regardless and have fun.
    (Honestly if it were me I would probably bump up and see if I could get the record.)
  • SideSteel
    Doh!

Total math fail, lol

Sorry about that :)
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    i get my singlets from Inzer, they run very small so if you order from them consider ordering 2 sizes up (at least in girls sizes they run small, not sure about mens) . Order your singlet soon so if it doesnt' fit you have time to exchange it.

For your first meet, dont worry about your weight class, just worry about getting experience on the platform.

and 6 weeks out from a meet is not the time to start thinking about gaining or losing weight to fit a certain weight class. Just focus on your lifts and being your strongest with your current body at its current weight. Any time you gain or lose, lots of things happen to your body that will affect you. After this meet you can think about how you did and where you'd like to be and set mini goals to get you there for your next meet. Just go into this meet with the goal of getting platform experience. thats my 2 cents

Thank you for your 2 cents! Are the legs on the Inzer singlets really short? They look that way online and I was worried about showing off too much leg!
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    To make the next class up, OP would only need to be over 220 lbs though (220 is max weight cap for current class, 242 class is just anything above that - so 220.1-242.0), which is only 4 lbs more than current. That could be eating big the previous day and a large breakfast before weigh ins.
    If 216 is fasted weight, likely you'd be close to hitting 220+ later in the day anyway after getting some meals in.
    Normally I would agree not to worry about your weight at all for your first meet, but being this close you could easily bump up to the next class if you wanted to. Just don't let it get to your head and pick outrageous attempts or go crazy with food and eat to the point you get sick. Be smart about your attempts regardless and have fun.
    (Honestly if it were me I would probably bump up and see if I could get the record.)

Thanks for the advice! The current deadlift record in my division in the 242 class in RPS is 605 lbs. I pulled 530x5 today after 3x2 and I am going to test my 1RM 3 weeks out from the meet. If I can pull 585+ on a stiff bar in the gym at that point, then I hopefully will try to break the record on a deadlift bar on my 3rd attempt at the meet (if everything goes well!).
  • SideSteel

Thanks for the advice! The current deadlift record in my division in the 242 class in RPS is 605 lbs. I pulled 530x5 today after 3x2 and I am going to test my 1RM 3 weeks out from the meet. If I can pull 585+ on a stiff bar in the gym at that point, then I hopefully will try to break the record on a deadlift bar on my 3rd attempt at the meet (if everything goes well!).

I don't think it's a great idea from a programming standpoint to test maxes 3 weeks from a meet.
  • DeadliftsandDonuts

I don't think it's a great idea from a programming standpoint to test maxes 3 weeks from a meet.

Would it be better to test 4 weeks out? I want to get a measure of my current strength on which to program my peaking workouts.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    edited December 2016

Would it be better to test 4 weeks out? I want to get a measure of my current strength on which to program my peaking workouts.

As far as rules and singlets go can't help as I haven't competed. However, if you pop over here, where I'm a member, Iron-sanctuary.com and look up the user Deralta http://www.iron-sanctuary.com/forums/index.php?topic=1118.840 he's a meet director for RPS.
    He can answer any question you have and then some. He's competing this weekend so his response might be a bit delayed but he will answer questions.

PS. Most of these guys on IS compete in RPS and a couple are ranked.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member

Thank you for your 2 cents! Are the legs on the Inzer singlets really short? They look that way online and I was worried about showing off too much leg!

singlets just aren't flattering, i've never seen a guy in one that's flattering so i dont know how to answer that.

and regarding the other questions about when to test your 1rm. I usually test my 1rm and decide on my 1st two attempts from 10-14 days prior to the meet, and then i take 1 full week off of any lifting prior to the meet. But my programming has me doing max effort lifts weekly, so i always have an estimate of where im at.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    I have Titan singlets. I think they are unisex. I find that it "runs small" through the thighs. My husband also has Titan. He thought it was "true to size." The difference might be height/build related. He's 6'3 200lbs for reference. Although unflattering in general, his singlet looked fine...not booty shorts short (if that's a concern).
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    edited December 2016

singlets just aren't flattering, i've never seen a guy in one that's flattering so i dont know how to answer that.

and regarding the other questions about when to test your 1rm. I usually test my 1rm and decide on my 1st two attempts from 10-14 days prior to the meet, and then i take 1 full week off of any lifting prior to the meet. But my programming has me doing max effort lifts weekly, so i always have an estimate of where im at.

My plan leading up to the meet is similar to your's except I was going to test 3 weeks out, peak/taper for 2 weeks and just work up to my openers 1 week out so I'd have 6 days of no lifting before the meet. I've mostly been doing doubles and triples lately at 5-10% below my previous 1RMs so I have a general idea of where I'm at now, but I was going to set my 1st attempts based on the 1RM test results.
  • SideSteel
    edited December 2016
    I'm of the opinion that it's not worth the recovery deficit to pull true 1rm lifts in that scenario -- basically you should save that for the platform in my opinion.

I also am of the opinion that if your training is set up properly you should be able to use training data to estimate where you set attempt selections.

I'm certainly open to other methods though -- but for now I don't see it as being optimal.

Edited to add: I do think there's a difference between pulling a true 1rm like you would in competition vs something like working up to a heavy single at RPE 9-9.5 and using that to acquire information.
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    I'm of the opinion that it's not worth the recovery deficit to pull true 1rm lifts in that scenario -- basically you should save that for the platform in my opinion.

I also am of the opinion that if your training is set up properly you should be able to use training data to estimate where you set attempt selections.

I'm certainly open to other methods though -- but for now I don't see it as being optimal.

Edited to add: I do think there's a difference between pulling a true 1rm like you would in competition vs something like working up to a heavy single at RPE 9-9.5 and using that to acquire information.

I think your edit is what I'm trying to do to prepare for my meet: find that heavy single to base my peaking program and first attempts on. Then, after a week of rest and with all the adrenaline from the meet, I'll find my true 1RMs on the platform. At least that is how it will go in my head since I don't know what a real competition feels like yet!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

Don't change anything. Don't try new things- don't try to set new records- just go lift- your first meet isn't about breaking records- it's about learning.

• juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member

Quite a bit depends upon your level of experience. I wouldn't go near a 1 rep max on deadlift for months before a meet as much as 6 weeks before a meet for squat. I typically only train as high as a planned opener on squat and deadlift during a prep cycle. However, that is after years of experience and a solid knowledge of where I'm at and what I can expect. I don't need the reassurance going into a meet.

Early on, when I was still getting a feel for things and really still building my strength, I'd test more frequently and closer to a meet.

With respect to singlets, Inzer singlets are made by Matman and are shorter in the leg. Titan are longer in the leg. The one in my profile picture is an Inzer but I wear a titan now. I made the change when I got a rear video of me deadlifting in the inzer singlet and half my backside was hanging out. None of them are particularly flattering.
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    JoRocka wrote: »

Don't change anything. Don't try new things- don't try to set new records- just go lift- your first meet isn't about breaking records- it's about learning.

I'm not really changing anything. One of my goals for this whole year has been to deadlift over 600, regardless of what the record is, and that is what I have been working towards. I got sidelined for a few months with strep and pneumonia but I'm back on track now. I knew I probably would have to gain weight to become stronger since I'm light for my height compared to most powerlifters so moving up to the 242 weight class(or 231 if I compete in USAPL) has been in the back of my mind. I just want to be as strong as possible on meet day.

I really appreciate everyone's advice and, even though there are conflicting ideas, I'm going to take it into account for my last 6 weeks of training up to the meet. I'm sure that I will learn a lot at this meet and hopefully improve my programming for the next one.
  • DeadliftsandDonuts

Quite a bit depends upon your level of experience. I wouldn't go near a 1 rep max on deadlift for months before a meet as much as 6 weeks before a meet for squat. I typically only train as high as a planned opener on squat and deadlift during a prep cycle. However, that is after years of experience and a solid knowledge of where I'm at and what I can expect. I don't need the reassurance going into a meet.

Early on, when I was still getting a feel for things and really still building my strength, I'd test more frequently and closer to a meet.

With respect to singlets, Inzer singlets are made by Matman and are shorter in the leg. Titan are longer in the leg. The one in my profile picture is an Inzer but I wear a titan now. I made the change when I got a rear video of me deadlifting in the inzer singlet and half my backside was hanging out. None of them are particularly flattering.

I know I'm going to look like an overstuffed sausage in a singlet and that's one of the main reasons why I haven't competed yet. Sounds like the Titan would be a safer bet for me too!
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »

If you can "just go lift" AND set records though, that's fine too. OP would only have to eat heavy enough to gain 4-5 lbs to make the next weight class and potentially set a record. I'm of the opinion that since it's a Push/Pull meet, he's got one less discipline to be concerned with. If you're comfortable eating at a slightly higher surplus for the next 6 weeks to make the 242 weight class, go for it and get the record.

I have the Titan Triumph singlet. I compete at a body weight of 252-255 and wear a 2XL. I'm 5'11" and the legs come just slightly above half-way down my thigh. I ordered based on the sizing chart from Titan and think it fits just right.