Two separate questions regarding logging recipes.

Options
Hamsibian
Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
edited December 2016 in Food and Nutrition
1. I make home made broth using the bones from chicken carcass. How do I enter the bones only into the recipe (I can find stock, but it's always in cups and fluid ounces). I have been weighing them as the same chicken brand I have been eating, but I don't think that's correct.

2. I also like to make homemade applesauce. Do I weigh the apples before I cook them, or after? I just want to make sure I am accurate in my serving sizes.

Replies

• avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    For 1, I can't find anything that lists the calories in bones. I would log it as "bone broth," rather than "stock" or "broth."

For 2, I would weigh before. Weigh everything and enter it into the recipe before cooking; cook, weigh the whole recipe, and set the recipe so a serving is 1g. That way you can dish out however much you like and log it as, say, 255 1g servings.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    avskk wrote: »

For 2, I would weigh before. Weigh everything and enter it into the recipe before cooking; cook, weigh the whole recipe, and set the recipe so a serving is 1g. That way you can dish out however much you like and log it as, say, 255 1g servings.

After I cook, do I edit the weight of the raw apples to the weight of boiled apples? I put the apples in a slow cooker with some water, and I don't drain anything, so I am guessing I would enter it as "boiled". Also, do I just subtract the weight of the spices from the cooked apples at the end? Sorry if I'm over thinking this.

*edit: I think I get what you're saying. I keep the recipe as raw, but each serving should be set per gram after it's weighed cooked.