Am I losing too much weight too fast during my cut?

Options
I'm 6'2 and about 200lbs. I recently just finished up my first bulk where I gained about 30 pounds in about a 7 month period.

I've been happy with my gains but it's time to start a cut. I've lowered my calories to about 2500 and have continued my progressive overload workout routine.

It's been 4 days and I've lost about 5 pounds. Is it too soon to raise my calories or should I hold off for a bit till my body stabilizes itself somewhat?

When transitioning from a bulk to a cut, how long does it typically take for this extreme weight loss to slow down to where I'm losing a pound a week or so?

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    leave it....you're dumping glycogen and water and reducing the amount of waste in your system...I only lost like that for the first week or two.

Yup, give it a few weeks more and then reevaluate.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    You lost your water weight and some glycogen. Your calorie goal seems reasonable to me!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ^ What they said. Your calorie goal sounds like it's in the ballpark, you may need to do some minor tweaking as you go along, but right now you're just dumping water/glycogen weight.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,777 Member
    Options
    2500 net or 2500 total?
    2500 net should be good enough.
    2500 total, then it depends on your cardio.
    If you're running a half marathon a day like some of my mfp friends....
    Aim for a ~15℅ deficit....
  • HookGripDeadlifts
    HookGripDeadlifts Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info, I'll reevaluate in a few weeks.
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    2500 net or 2500 total?

I've yet to do much cardio but I have a pretty active job.

I do allow myself an extra 150 calories on my weight training days which I do 3 days a week.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,777 Member
    Options
    tlock24 wrote: »
    2500 net or 2500 total?
    I do allow myself an extra 150 calories on my weight training days which I do 3 days a week.
    Depending on how active you are at work, you may have to increase. Your TDEE at your height and weight, if you're very active, can easily exceed 3500 Cal and a 15% cut off that would have you netting 3000 Cal as opposed to 2500.
  • HookGripDeadlifts
    Options
    tlock24 wrote: »
    2500 net or 2500 total?
    Depending on how active you are at work, you may have to increase. Your TDEE at your height and weight, if you're very active, can easily exceed 3500 Cal and a 15% cut off that would have you netting 3000 Cal as opposed to 2500.

I'll keep this in mind as I re-evaluate, thanks!
  • jacobsailors
    jacobsailors Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    What kind of job? Cutting phase should have some type of cardio. Are you cutting just to cut or is there a deadline, i.e comp?
  • mecoconleche
    mecoconleche Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It is generally recommended to lose no more than 1% of your body weight per week
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I typically run real close to your cal intake for the first 2-3 weeks of a cut, but I'm a bit bigger than you(6'3"-225 after bulk). I'm on the touch agressive side(usually dump 10lbs)for these weeks before I bump my cals a couple hundred, so you are probably right where you want to be.
  • HookGripDeadlifts
    Options
    What kind of job? Cutting phase should have some type of cardio. Are you cutting just to cut or is there a deadline, i.e comp?

A big portion of my work day consists of walking around.

I've recently implemented some cardio to my daily routine. Running up and down stairs for about 10 minutes.

Cutting just to cut. I decided I was tired of being skinny so bulked up but it's time to shed some of the fat I've gained.

• boxa00
    boxa00 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree. The first 2-3 weeks you are dropping fluids.

If you continue to loose rapidly after then check your calorie intake.

Listen to your body if you start feeling light headed, headaches and you are low on energy check out your diet and calorie intake.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

A cutting phase requires a calories deficit. Doing so through cardio is optional.