Need some advice, had bilateral knee scope surgery

Options
Hey everyone,

So I had bilateral scope surgery done on my knees on June 26th. Went back to the gym doing only upper body (got the okay from my physio). I literally sit on a bench and my trainer passes my weights to me.

I cannot do cardio, going back to physio tomorrow to find out how my knees have improved. But my question to you folks, since I cannot be exercising as much as I am used to, I am trying to shed pounds before the wedding. Do you think it would be okay to drop my 1700 daily calories to 1460? I used the calculation on the site here.

Still on crutches and walking/standing still bothers my knees quite a bit. So I am quite literally a bum on the couch with my legs elevated.

Replies

• kimleverett
    kimleverett Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    After 5 knee surgeries I have found the best way to get cardio and no or little impact is Aguasize. I can't do a half mile on the treadmill without needing a case of Advil but can burn 800 calories in the pool no sweat. If it is available, I would try it.
  • Slulik
    Slulik Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I was thinking swimming....now I just need to get over the incapacitating fear of putting on a bathing suit O.O
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    By all means, if your calories burned have dropped, decrease your intake a bit.
    now I just need to get over the incapacitating fear of putting on a bathing suit O.O

Think of how incapacitating it would be getting into the pool without the bathing suit on. Au natural.

Why the fear? If you are trying to lose weight and someone wants to look at you because you aren't a beach hard body, screw 'em. They are the ones with the problem. Be proud of what you are trying to do. You are doing it for you. Not for them. Go for it.
  • Slulik
    Slulik Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that!! I literally haven't owned a bathing suit since before I went way OW. So the self consciousness is still creeping around.

Did a kranking last night for some cardio which was nice to get the heart racing again. Going to physio tonight to find out if I can get on the recumbant bike!
  • kimleverett
    kimleverett Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    As a fat girl at the pool I can tell you that you just have to suck it up and figure for every person saying "i didn't think they made suits that big" there are many more (and much wiser people whose opinion count) that are saying "bless her heart for making a difference and trying to get healthy".

We didn't let how we look in clothes stop us from getting overweight so you have to promise me that you won't let it deter you in getting yourself healthy. Rock that bathing suit (and get a big towel like I do to make me feel sexier, like a sarong :-)